The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
gabet40

converting to a 700r4 in my 72 blazer

im looking for input from anyone who has put a 700r4 in their K5. ive heard that basically all you need to do is get a new output shaft and move your engine up 1.75". so really im just looking for any advise or info from people who have any experience makin the switch. thanx in advance

Former owner of:
69 1/2 ton, change from long/fleet to short/fleet, shaved door handles, shaved tailgate, 4/6 drop, power windows, 700r4
72 blazer, 350 with Holley Commander 950 DFI, crane energizer cam, 350 tranny, dual sanderson blockhuggers/magnaflow exhaust
gabet40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 07:17 PM   #2
elk hunter

a friend of mine and i did this conversion in his rig, and it was no big deal. advanced adaptors has the output shaft and painless wiring has the electrical for this conversion. my friend had a tranny shop put the shaft and any electronics in the trans and we installed it in his rig. i dont think i would move the motor forward though, we moved his transfer case crossmember back and had his drivelines done. you need to install the vacuum switch on the brake pedal assy. it is included in the kit. good luck!
Old 02-09-2004, 10:02 PM   #3
Leinie

Elk

Why wouldn't you move the engine forward ?
Leinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:21 PM   #4
71swb4x4

gabet40

I am planning to do this swap soon too. I was also planning to move the engine forward instead of the transfer case back. Let me know how it goes for you.

What needs to be done when the engine is moved forward? Here is what I came up with:
shorten radiator hoses
lengthen throttle rod (if its a cable may not have to do anything there)
add to the exhaust

what else???

Shawn
Old 02-09-2004, 11:33 PM   #5
Leinie

You'll probably need to do something with the power steering lines ( if you have PS ) and check fan to radiator clearance. I've already converted to electric fans so it's not a problem for me.
I'd also check that the differential is not going to hit the oil pan when you bottom out the front suspension.
Leinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 05:45 PM   #6
elk hunter

we did not move the motor forward due to weight distribution and pan clearance. this puts the pan sump over the front axle. the list of changes for moving the transfer case back is lengthen front driveline and shorten the rear. you also need to cut the trans hump to clear the shifter. we cut that so we could weld the cut peice to the front of the hole to retain the stock shift boot. you will need to replace your carpet also.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:19 PM   #7
gabet40

well ive talked to a few other people that have done it on the jimmy/blazer board and they said moving the engine forwards the way to go too. im redoing my exhaust, so that wont be an issue. and i dont think 1.75" will affect the radiator hoses a significant amount. oh, and i do have a throttle cable. the fan is one thing though that i might have to make adjustments to. so ill let you guys know how it goes.

Former owner of:
69 1/2 ton, change from long/fleet to short/fleet, shaved door handles, shaved tailgate, 4/6 drop, power windows, 700r4
72 blazer, 350 with Holley Commander 950 DFI, crane energizer cam, 350 tranny, dual sanderson blockhuggers/magnaflow exhaust
gabet40 is offline   Reply With Quote