The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2004, 06:35 PM   #1
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Long travel shocks mounted

I posted this on another board but thought some of you might like to see pics of the RS9000x shocks I have installed. They are the RS99036 that are 21.125 compressed and 36.125 fully extended. They aren't bolted down solid yet and based on some replies to a question I had about clearance I am going to remove some material from the sides of the shock towers so the side of the shock won't hit the side of the tower.

Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 03:03 AM   #2
Vlad

Hello Jack,
I'm sorry if i sound crass,but what exactly have you acomplished by installing these longer shocks. From your photos you can tell that you have replaced the factory length shocks with ones that have roughly the same amount of travel due to the added length of the shock "body". It appears as though you have approx. 8-9 inches of usable compression,that will only decrease when you put the body back on your truck. By the look of the forward- slung shackel you probably have a new set of lifted springs that are not likley to have much drop extesion so you won't be getting any advantage from extra shock body length.(in my opinion). Other than that you have done super clean job installing the long travel shock tower, and nice job on the frame refurb. cheers..
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Before doing this change, the Tuff Country shocks that were on this truck were for the truck when it had 4" springs up front. When I changed to different springs that provide 7" of lift, the Tuff Country shocks I had been using were completely extended when mounted. I wanted to change to Rancho shocks but found they were missing a shock that would work well with our type of mounts when you had 7" of spring lift. The alternative I chose was to go ahead and make this modification. As mounted the shocks can compress about 7 1/2" and can extend about 7 1/2" - true that is more than I should expect to need, but Tuff Country springs are some of the better springs when it comes to flexing so at least I have more than enough shock travel to handle what they can do.

So to answer your question of what exactly have I accomplished - Rancho did not have an application that would work well with 7" of spring lift on this vehicle, so I changed the mounting location and am using a shock that will more than cover my needs.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:54 PM   #4
smokkey1
Land Beast

Smile

nice job I might do that 1 day btw i seen those pics on the colorodo k5 board.