The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2004, 09:58 PM   #1
SCOTI

Need help quick.... LOST IGN. KEY

Hey guys.... sometime today @ work my ignition key apparently fell out of my coat pocket. I can get into the truck but I cant get the ign cyl out of the dash. Are there any tricks to this? I can unscrew the bezel about 3/4 of the way & then it stops. I know I can hotwire it under the hood as a last ditch effort, but I'll have to get the ign cyl out anyway since I'll need a new one w/a new key.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:15 PM   #2
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

If your ignition lock is worn some you might be able to start it with another chevy key. Try any similar key, and you might get lucky. If you're able to turn the switch. Put it in the accessory position, and using a paper clip or something similar push it in the tiny hole on the lock. This will allow you to rotate the lock further, and realease the core. New cores are about $7-8. Good Luck.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:22 PM   #3
SCOTI

Yeah, I tried my ign key from my 74 & it wouldn't work.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-13-2004, 10:35 PM   #4
cdowns

instead of getting a new cylinder and key why don't you get a new cylinder and 2keys???
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:54 PM   #5
teamroper!

if you ever do get the cylinder out, there should be a key code stamped on it. If it does take it to your local locksmith or gm dealer and they can cut you a new key.

If all else fails take out a door lock cylinder to a locksmith, they should be able to take the cyl apart an read the tumblers. that is if the same key works ign and doors.

Last edited by teamroper!; 02-14-2004 at 12:28 AM.
teamroper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:01 AM   #6
1972C10
Account Suspended

If you get the stainless trim off the front of the ignition cylinder and you will be able to get the bezel off..

If you cant get the ign switch out you can get another switch. the part that the wires hook to
1972C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:42 AM   #7
SCOTI

Thanks guys.... I hot-wired it to get me home. Of course it started raining halfway home & w/no ign.... no wipers . My whole frickin' day was this way.....

Before I left work, I called the guy I went to lunch with to see if it was possible that the key fell out of my pocket when I was paying for our food. As soon as I got home he called & said he found the key. Now I'm back @ work waiting to meet him & get it back.

Cdowns.... it is a single key because my friends borrowed my trailer for the weekend so I gave them my key ring (for the trailer locks) & kept just the ign key.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-14-2004, 01:13 AM   #8
angelsairman
Future Owner

im not usually a thread stealer but reading this reminded me of my pickup, when i first started try to make heads or tails out of the mes under the hood i found a magnetic hide-a-key, thought that would be handy, then just about a month ago when i was reapiring some wires on the alternator harness i was removing the half roll of electrial tape that the previous owner had put on there(along with about 8 bare wires twisted together) and found under all the tape another ignition key taped up in the harness....