The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2002, 09:35 AM   #1
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

Post anyone ever use maco to paint a car?

My significant other was rear ended a few weeks ago and we have the insurance check now. 600 bucks or so.

We really dont have to replace some things. The hood is in need of paint bad. Maco says they can do the repair and paint the car for less than the 600 bucks..

I know that they are not doing the best job, but the paint isnt that great anyway. its just the paint though, no rust or damage other than what happened in the wreck. So if they did an OK job it would hold up rather well. we really cant afford a real paint job, nor would we spend that much to paint the car, its just transportation...

Anyone deal with these guys and have a suggestion?
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 09:48 AM   #2
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Not personal experience, but, my neighbor had their daughters Probe painted at Maaco about 3-4 years ago, over all they did a good job, and the paint is still in fair condition other than a few pealing places like around the window rubbers. Good luck.

------------------
-------------------------
SILLY BOYZ......TRUCK ARE FOR GURLZ !!

"A GIRL and her TRUCK....its a BEAUTIFUL thing..."

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 09:56 AM   #3
Gordo

Red face

If it's not a show piece, for the money you can't beat it! If you did the job your self, you would spend that much on primmer, paint and supplies, never mind the time! I don't know how they can do it, volume, I guess.

------------------
1971 C10 swb stepside 350/700R4/3.73posi
Killingworth, Connecticut
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 10:57 AM   #4
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

If I was gunna take something to them to paint, I would do as much detail and prep work that I could do myself. Any paint that needs to be preped or sanded around mouldings, near edges etc....etc. You might even want to think about removing any trim that needs to be painted around.
I wouldn't be afraid to take an older daily driver to them if it was just for paint.

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 10:58 AM   #5
LeRoy
Registered truck nut

Smile

I had the local Earl Shieb, MAACO equivelant, paint a Mustang I had once. Cost me $400 for the "deluxe paint" with metal flake, and 2 coats of clear ect. I sold the car soon after but just recently saw the car and it still looked good after 3 years. My suggestion is to removal all emblems, grill, tailights, ect. and do a good job of scuffing up paint and cleaning all wax off also throw on some old tires and wheels because overspray will get on them. They say they do it to but from what I saw, they do it quick and not real good. I did all this and the body work before hand so I think that's the key. Also I had to wet sand it afterwords. They paint thin and fast.

------------------
MOUNT VERNON, WASH. STATE
GOT MY BASES COVERED
-Big and bad 70 CST Blazer
-71 K5 Blazer, 350, 4spd, 2" lift, 35" BFG mudders, Camo,
-Work in progress 72 SWB
-72 Cheyenne, lwb, 1/2 ton, 4x4, V8, 4spd.
-71, 3/4 ton, 402/400, Custom Camper
-69, 2wd, ST6, auto, ghetto lowered, 3/4 ton, LWB, "BOMBER"
-69 Chev., lwb, utility trailer, 35" tires,
Add or Delete Daily

Old 03-31-2002, 11:30 AM   #6
busterwivell

I agree. I took a 73 Dart daily driver to them after it had been hit while parked. I'd already installed the fender, but left off the front bumper and grill. Removed all trim, etc. They painted it and guaranteed against fade for 5 years. It faded in 3 and they repainted it free. Of course, all the stuff had to come off again. I had no pealing. I put 150,000 miles on it while I had it for 5 years and got tired of it and sold it. I would NEVER take them my truck, though.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 12:35 PM   #7
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

thanks for the input. i agree i would rather cut off a nut than bring my truck to them. but this is a 94 mazda 626. no trim realy, just around the windows. and the grill..

they do an acid wash to prep the paint i guess. so other than a bad job in masking they really cant screw things up. i told the girlfriend to go talk to they guys doing the work and offer to buy them pizza for lunch or something. lol, sounds silly but i have seen this work! they will prob take a few more mineuts in prep!

Old 03-31-2002, 01:07 PM   #8
Lumpy
2 tons of fun

My 67 has maaco ultra urethane with clear coat. Paint job was $500. Here is a link to the pic. Lumpy

------------------
67 Chevy,Short/Fleet,350,Saginaw 4-Speed,Lowered 4x2,small window,P/S,Edelbrock Intake/Carb,HEI,Gear Drive,Crane Cams 274h
Three Rivers, Ca
Pic at: <A HREF="http://community.webshots.com/album/29068416etoBoEninp
" TARGET=_blank>http://community.webshots.com/album/29068416etoBoEninp
</A>

Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 01:43 PM   #9
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

I was rearended in San Diego when I was in the Navy. Maaco did the body work and the paint and threw in some side mouldings. It cost 1300 with all the work. The guy that hit me payed the bill. Their work didn't look to bad and we started a cross country move the day I got it from the shop. My wife was driving the freshly painted Camaro. I was driving a beater. We were in Colorado and she lost control of the car. It was totaled. So I know their paint job last at least a week.

------------------
66 Chevy C30 Stakebody Dump, PS,PB, 327cu in
71 Corvette Coupe 454 4 speed
79 Chevy 4X4 (Tom's old truck)

ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 02:55 PM   #10
bgbchevy

I've had a bad experiance with the one in my town, I dont know if they're all the same.

The overspray got everywhere, it was on the tires, winsheild, the SEATS. The first time we had it painted it came back 3 different shades of white. (I changed from all blue to all white). The second time it was repainted, it peeled within a week. The Third time we had it repainted, an employee stole the car.

Moral is, you get what you pay for.
Old 03-31-2002, 03:49 PM   #11
low 84

the qaulity of the paint you get from a macco will depend on the management and workers employed there. i have heard some real horror stories about macco paint jobs, but a good friend of mine used to manage the macco in my area. he kept all the employees in line and made sure the shop was run cleanly. so it just depends on the particular macco you are going to use. the best thing to do is go in a look at some cars they have recently done. this will show you how good they are with avoiding overspray and dirt in paint ect., but it won't really show how the paint will last long term. like i said it has alot to do with the quality of the employees at the particular macco.

------------------
Pot holes are my enemy

'84 1\2 ton swb, 350 5\7 drop

just sold '64 1\2 ton
4\4 drop with built 350 (my toy)

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 03:50 PM   #12
72sleeper
[]D [] []v[] []D

screw maco i worked at my uncle car lot and we tok a 95 z71 up there cause it was cheap and there is a lil indention thats aobut 2 inches tall an a half inch deep on the bottom that runs all the way around the truck and they sanded it all except for that 2 inch wide indention(they just painted over it and said that we had to pay more casue the amount we paid didnt cover it) and my dad took my 72 c10 up there before he gave it to me (bday) and they didnt paint under the emblems and they got overspray everywhere and my uncle said the acidic solution or somthin like that they used to take off the paint they didnt get it all off before they painted it so it ate off some paint and made alot of it bubble up with rust underneth it and this was the one in rivergate tennessee i dotn know if there all the same though

------------------
Clint
72 c'10 350ci/400hp
sleeper forever
72sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 05:23 PM   #13
Desert Rat

I had a local Earl Schieb paint a 79 Dodge Magnum for me about 7 years ago.it was a off white color i had them shoot it Gloss white,it was shinier than hell,for the $99 it didnt include anybodywork or anything,they even painted over the pin stripping,but hey it was shiny!!!!I couldnt of even bought the materials for that price, but for prep work i think they wash it with comet cleanser and a scotchbrite pad,if i was to take anything that i cared about to one of those places id peel off anything chrome,id pull door panels,put on some junk tires and wheels.I dont think theres nothing wrong with the painters they do many,many a day,its just the high school kids doing the bodywork and masking,If you do the prep work yourself i wouldnt hesitate to take anything in there.I may straighten out my truck and take it to them to shoot.Atleast it will be shiny!!!and protected from corrossion,i probably wouldnt spend $1500 on one of their paint jobs however,id rather goto the old man in his little shop,but sometimes theres a benefit going to the big chains also,if theres a problem!!!!
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 05:35 PM   #14
BIG ORANGE

Angry

3 words-(DONT DO IT) think more of your truck then that.

------------------
BIG ORANGE 1971 SUBURBAN
1970/90-Little Buck's Truck (ONE DAY)
USED TRUCK PARTS 4 SALE

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 05:39 PM   #15
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

Question

Might check to see if there is a body shop school around there. Up here the local school lets people bring stuff in for the kids to get some pratice fixing and painting and they do it for free. They are actually decent at it. Might see if something like that exists down there and put that 600 in your pocket.
Old 03-31-2002, 05:59 PM   #16
sewanhaka62

hi
know a few guys here that took their cars to the local maaco--they did all the prep and helped with the masking--they came out real good (not show) for a crusier--the owner of this maaco is into old cars though which helps--plus it is good advertising when people talk to owners of old cars

bob
sewanhaka62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 07:12 PM   #17
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

well, ill go over and check out thier work. the girl friend said they were really cool when she talked to them, seemed to know what they are doing..

the car isnt that bad, but it does need the trunk fixed and some minor thing due to the wreck. they will fix all this stuff. and paint the whole car for the 600. sounds like a good deal to me. even if its not a top notch job. if it looks good for 6 or 7 years ill be happy as punch.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:19 PM   #18
67Blacksheep

Dave-
A bit of advice. Maaco paint shops deal widely in volume, and they (like everywhere else) have both good and bad techs working for them. If you decide to go that way, do the prep yourself! Take off any trim you don't want painted, AND try to talk to the individual that is going to spray your car. A fifty straight to that guy will more than likely improve your paint job quite a bit. Sad but true. I have seen it done!

------------------
67 Chevy C20 LB Stepside,
350 4-bolt with goodies.
67Blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 01:32 PM   #19
eminentbass

if you go to macco finf out what kind of paint they will be using on your car because they have about 4 different kinds of paint. urethane single stage, urethane base clear, then they also use an air dry enamel for cheaper jobs and for the really cheap ones they use an air dry one part enamel. so be careful on the type if it is either of the first two get it done for sure if not I would hesitate