The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2004, 06:28 PM   #1
6869704X4

Spicer hubs

I’m on the highway doing 75mph when I feel the truck jerk slightly to the left and hear a metallic squeal. This lasts for a fraction of a second. Then everything feels normal. I pull over at the next exit and check things out. Don’t find any thing so off I go. Ten hours later I go to lock the hubs and the left one wont budge. I pull the hub apart and find the inside of the locking knob was melted and had been slung outward. This allowed the hubs to try to engage.
What I can’t figure out is what got the hub so hot that the knob melted. I first thought the brake was dragging but they checked out OK. If the two locking pieces were spinning against each other that would create heat. But how would they get together? The selector was still in the free position.
What really sucks is I had to buy a set of Warn hubs. It was too cold to change both so I had one Warn and one Spicer hub.
Anybody have any experiences with Spicer hubs trying to engage themselves?
Old 02-19-2004, 07:23 PM   #2
SoCal71K20

Man, that sucks.Can't say that I've ever experienced that.I have been pretty good about tearing my Spicers down,cleaning in solvent then greasing everything up before re-assembly.
SoCal71K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 12:31 PM   #3
6869704X4

Me too thats one reasons its hard to figure out the sequence of events. I know what happened because of the damaged parts, just not why.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:57 PM   #4
breeh
Recovering 67-72 Addict

Unfortunately, I have had that happen to me too. It sounds like you need wheel bearings. Mine got hot enough to weld the bearing to the spindle and it had to be cut off with a torch. Needless to say, the spindle was ruined. I would get that fixed ASAP!

"Friends call me cruzer cuz I like fast cars and fast women"
breeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #5
6869704X4

More info,
I replaced the bearings while I had it apart. They looked OK but smelled like melted plastic. I pack the bearings using the palm of my hand. I always make sure grease is coming through in between the rollers. I lay a good bed of grease on the race before I lay the bearing in. As for the locking parts I don’t go crazy with grease in there. Just enough to keep things slippery.
Other damage I noticed inside was the C-clip on the axle shaft was bent outward like the locking piece was pushed against it really hard. The piece that the outer hub bolts to had to be pulled out(I rigged a puller using screwdrivers and the outer hub) because it wore a lip on the inside of the hub. The weirdest damage was about 1/8 inch of the spindle was broke off. Just to where the threads start.
I’ve had this truck since 83 and have serviced the hubs at least 20 times. When I install the spindle nut I run it down tight to make sure the bearing is set then back it off. I retighten it just enough to get the wiggle out of it. I check it again after the wheel is on just to make sure.