The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2004, 05:57 AM   #1
Gary

Lowering rear - leaf springs?

Ok was looking at doing a 2/4 lowering on my 72 but the rear has no coil springs, it has leaf so what's the best way to do that?

Thanks
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 07:52 AM   #2
theo70
COMING SOON...

Lowering blocks($),flip kits($$), and lowered leaf springs($$$).
As soon as Uncle Sam gets me my check, I'm going the lowered spring route. Check with Early Classics Enterprises.
theo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:46 PM   #3
Gary

Well looking at the setup on this truck the axle is below the leaf spring, so it has to be flipped before the blocks can help so that leaves I guess, a flip kit or lowered springs (or the lowering shackles I think?). The rear, when going over a speed bump I've noticed, basically bounces like a rock already (as in <thud> when it comes off a speed bump). So I don't guess lowering it should hurt the ride much at least not from the rear.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:13 PM   #4
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Keep in mind that flipping the axle alone is going to give you a 5" to 6" drop, which is more than you are looking for. You could flip it, then relocate the spring hangers to raise it back up to where you want it.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:17 PM   #5
Gary

This sounds like the way to go flip and raise it back a bit.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:44 PM   #6
greatdaen

The "thud" you refer to is a matter of spring rate - stiffness - and shock absorber valving. Changing how your axle mounts to the spings won't affect those things. What will be affected is your available suspension travel. If you hit a "big one", you are much more likely to contact the jounce bumpers. Then your "thud" turns into an "ouch"....

There are several other threads on here about folks that had their springs re-arched. Re-arching can just as easily "remove" arch as well as put it back in. If you are in a large enough metropolitan area with a spring re-arching bussiness, you might compare that cost to buying a kit to change mounting locations - especially if you are just going for a few inches.

-dch
greatdaen is offline   Reply With Quote