The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2004, 02:35 PM   #1
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Has the world gone crazy?

A 4spd shift knob just sold for $68 + shipping, on Ebay. Not the whole transmission---just a plastic knob. Is that nuts?

Anyone want to buy a set of towhooks for $300?
Old 02-20-2004, 02:45 PM   #2
Burnsman
Chevy Freak

ebay

I've almost given up on buying anything on there. I don't buy unless I really, really need it. Now selling on ebay is a different story......................
73 Camaro, 496
67 RS Camaro, 406
64 Chevelle, 588
71 Nova, 565
67 Camaro, 461
Burnsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 03:05 PM   #3
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I sell a lot on ebay. I only buy if I've done the research and know what the item should cost, and that I'm getting a deal. No need to overpay for something I can get locally.

Have to tell this story, it's my best ebay turn around. I bought a turbocharger with plans to buy a second and put together a twin set up for my engine. Well, I had it about a week and decided it wouldn't work. I had bought it for $71 shipped to my door. I sold it 2 weeks later for $168 plus shipping. I hadn't done anything to it. Just had it laying on my workbench.

I love selling there.
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 04:40 PM   #4
stelth2002
Young Gun wth Fast Inline

its just as easy to lose money on there, but i agree some things are outrageous
Old 02-20-2004, 05:34 PM   #5
fine69

I love Ebay. I can sell stuff there lots easier than selling it on this board. I get too many stupid questions here. None from Ebayers. And they usually pay with PayPal.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 08:06 PM   #6
MJN

They aren't stupid questions. Most of the people here know what they are talking about and know what about the parts for these trucks. There are a few beginners but if only you get stupid questions then there is something wrong with the description of the part. As for Ebay, I've given up with buying or selling on there.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 08:13 PM   #7
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I wouldn't say stupid questions, just repeat ones. I let the newbies go most of the time. But some guys expect you to give the stuff away. Most things aren't going to make you rich, but you should be able to get a fair price for them. If there is something that is over priced here, then don't buy it. I offer all my stuff here first, but when it gets kicked off the first 2 pages, I go to ebay. I have even ended up selling to board members who could have gotten it cheaper off the board. Some things go better on the board, others better on ebay. I won't put large items (cabs, fenders, beds, etc) on ebay. The logistics is too tough. But small shipable items are great. Both have their ins and outs.
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 08:57 PM   #8
ChevyDude

fine69...you gotta lighten up. This board is awesome for all Chevy truck lovers, no matter how much or little experience the person has with these trucks. Fact is, they are interested in these trucks and for them to wisely spend their hard earned cash they NEED to ask questions, whether you think they are stupid or not.

I've been setting tile, marble, stone and granite for 25 years and am truly an expert in any tile installation. My clients, which I am selling my service, ask tons of questions because they want to be comfortable with what they are getting for what they are paying. I never think of their questions as "Stupid". It works the same for these truck parts.

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 09:38 PM   #9
jhow66

Well said ChevyDude.
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 09:50 PM   #10
fine69

Lighten up? Anyone here who has met me knows i am about as laid back as they get.
I am just speaking about a few jerkoffs here who keep asking you the same questions even after you have sent them pictures. And answered the questions they ask.
This answer was not intended for newbies to the truck world.
Anyone who has met me in person care to give a view about my personality?
Old 02-20-2004, 10:06 PM   #11
Blue Beard

I make hats with what ever pics people want on them, sell for under ten bucks....sold on average on ebay for $32
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:16 AM   #12
robby
Semper Fidelis

I am thankful for all the mentors that I had that enjoyed helping me with all my "newbie" questions even when I was acting like a "Jerkoff".
Cedar City, Utah
(Missouri Native)
robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:29 AM   #13
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Patience

I quietly sell thousands of dollars worth of parts on this board, so I don't mind answering a lot of questions...BUT (and you knew there would be a but, didn't you? )...after you ask all of the questions and get a lot of answers DON'T "pretend" you are going to buy the parts.
Just say something like, "Thanks for the info, I will consider it". Save all of the promises that you will send MO or call back with credit card, etc. It just creates bad feelings. You are not fooling anyone for very long and it may keep you from getting help in the future.
It is OK to shop around, just don't keep the seller hanging. Let him know when you are done and close with a thank you of some kind.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:35 AM   #14
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChevyDude
I never think of their questions as "Stupid".

I think like you chevydude, however there's stupid people, very stupid if you ask me, as fine69 said if after sending pictures and answering people's answers still asks you the same then there's something wrong with them.

No offense to any newbies or anyone here, this is just my observation and personal opinion.

I have met fine69 and he's a pretty cool guy and as he said he's laid back as he can get, just wish I would've had more time to talk to him when I met him last year.

Paul.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:37 AM   #15
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

yup....would be great if we had a shipping rate finder like on e-bay....
that would stop about 3/4 of the questions
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:58 AM   #16
avejoe
Custer had a plan too.

I see a lot of questions regarding shipping costs and have received a lot of shipping cost requests on just the few items I have posted on E-bay.

Next time I'm gonna list the weight and size and give folks the link to the UPS calculator. This may help...

Just a thought.
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 01:08 AM   #17
gonebad2
Merciless Butcher

PICKMUP: The speed warning tach dash you sold me was awesome.. So was your speedy service and top notch packing job. I removed the speedwarning speedo and swapped it into my existing dash with a tach and vacuum gauge. I don't mind answering the newbie questions. I figure if I don't , people will eventually lose interest then the parts we sell won't be worth much at all because the demand will be lower due to lack of interest. I wish I had a dollar for every post I have ever answered on how to hook up an HEI but I continue to do it. I have never sold on the board but I sell on ebay on a regular basis. I answer all of the questions prospective customers e-mail me with. I figure if they don't buy now, they might buy later.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:33 AM   #18
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally posted by fine69
Anyone who has met me in person care to give a view about my personality?
I'll do it mike...

Fine69 is a pretty laid back, easy goin guy.
I asked if there was room to store my cab, and told him i couldn't pay him much...he said bring it over and leave your cash at home. It has been there over a year now with no problems. (I'll be there fairly soon to get it Mike)
Every time I go there, I'll look at something he has laying around, and he'll either say throw it in the back of your truck, or he'll grab another just like it and toss it in my truck when i am not looking.

liek i said, he is a pretty laid back easy goin guy. We have spoken about some of the idiots that he is refering to up there, and lets face it, you get 11,000 people in one place, (like on a board) and you are bound to have a few idiots in the ranks. I am not refering to people who don't know there trucks inside and out...and knowing mike the way I do, i am sure he didn't mean that either.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 03:31 AM   #19
ChevyDude

1st...this thread is way off course and sailing south.

Mike, never met you. Only made my last post after reading what you wrote. If you are laid back that's great, but when I read a "Blanket" statement that you wrote saying, "Too many stupid questions here", I feel that's unfair. I ask alot of questions, that's how we learn. I will agree there certainly are idiots in this world and if you have answered their question once and they ask it again...well maybe they are stupid. I just felt caught up in your statement because I have been buying lots of parts for my two trucks and have asked questions when doing so.

Enough said...this thread is off course skipper!

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 04:08 AM   #20
bigvinnie

ok fine69, we're gonna let ya off the hook this time cuz even great guys like you have the right to be pricks some times... by the way, could you send me a couple pics of that fender bolt, and how much would it be to send it to India...??? lol

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 05:44 AM   #21
fine69

Whew. Thanks for saving me guys.
Oh yea, Anyone got a 69 GMC 4 stroke muffler bearing for sale? Got pics? With 26 inch wheels on it? And can can i swear i sent the money out? Even if it never arrives?
Old 02-21-2004, 09:27 AM   #22
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

LOL Mike...don't forget teh bottle of blinker fluid you sold me...It was NOS and I never got it you b@stard!
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:52 AM   #23
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

I saw in the best buy flyer here that they had some wireless routers and ram for free after rebate. So I went and picked up 3 of the routers and 3 sticks of ram. I turned around and sold them on ebay, made myself over $100 profit. :p suckers
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote