The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2004, 12:34 AM   #1
kens71gmc

Thumbs up Success, it finally breathes!!

It lives! Happy to report that the motor that has sat in my garage for the last year is alive. Everything seems to be fine except ran into a few minor problems which I'd like to share. First and foremost, make sure that all vacuum sources are correctly routed or plugged. There is a vacuum port at the rear base of a newer Q-jet which older models don't have. If you use the vacuum tower (like mine) mounted on the intake between the carb and distributor, you might overlook that thing. Plug it if not used. Make sure all hoses and clamps are tight, especially after the initial startup. When everything is tight you can keep your mind on the beast! Finally, if you just bought or are considering buying a Painless Wiring harness, if you can't get the starter to turn over when you hit the key, the purple solenoid wire might not be in the correct position. For something that cost a little over $300.00, you'd expect no problems (haha), but _hit does happen. I'm ording my Vintage Air unit this week and will shortly order Classic Performance Products aluminum tank. hope to get some new pics out shortly.
I have been working on 71 GMC 1/2 ton, lwb. frame off resto. 383 sb/350 turbo, dynomax ceramic headers, Flowmaster 50's, summit HEI, JET tuned Q-jet, BE COOL radiator, soon to be installled Vintage Air, tank in frame, painless wiring (love it but a couple minor problems), 2 1/2 in. drop front, 3 in. drop rear. THAT ENGINE IS NOW BORN AND HOWLING LOUDLY!
kens71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote