The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2004, 11:53 AM   #1
DCRANER

Be Cool or not ?

Trying to decide on cooling system. Currently have re-coored stock A/C radiator and planning on adding Spal fans and getting rid of stock fan.

Now, any real advantage to a BECOOL radiator (kit 83013) and their fan, or do their radiator with the Spal fans. Also, their radiator has a 7 plate (1 ton truck rated) trans cooler built into the return tank of the radiator. Is this enough, or would I add a B&M cooler, or is that overkill?

Opinions please, looking to do the best quality possible.

Thanks.

Doug
86 GMC SWB, DK. BLUE, ZZ430,TH400, 4.11'S, HEADMAN CERAMIC HEADERS, WELD BILLETS, BFG 275 / 60 / 15, 325 / 50 / 15 DRAG RADIALS, FIBERGLASS COWL HOOD, B&M SHIFTER. MSD, MARCH PULLEYS / ALT. / PWR. STEER PUMP, BECOOL RAD., BILLET GRILL & GRANT WHEEL.
DCRANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 01:16 PM   #2
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Hey Doug.

I have the stock 3 core radiator in my truck. You already know about my fan setup, so I won't go into that again. I think the single biggest advantage I have on cooling is my Stewart Components stage 2 aluminum water pump. My truck just flat out doesn't get hot.

Be Cool radiators are real nice and look great. I think unless you have some major cooling problems, or a big block that is causing problems with heat, I think they are overkill in a way. Of course, a lot of the stuff we do to our babies are overkill, but we do them because we like it, not that we need it so much. For sure it won't hurt a thing to have a nice radiator.

As for the cooler, I'm sure the built in cooler in the Be Cool radiator is a ton better than GM designed. I couldn't say if it would be enough by itself or not. I guess it would be one of the try and see things. But to know, you would need a tranny temp gauge.

For me, it's hard to justify changing radiators when what I have works great. To me, the only thing I would be gaining is a better looking radiator. I know the cooling would be better no doubt, but I don't need any better cooling than what I have now. Much more and it would be running cold all the time.

Oh, btw, I run the above mentioned pump, my Spal fan setup, stock 3 core radiator, and a B&M cooler. I went to the B&M cooler first and then back through the radiator cooler before going to the tranny. I had to do this in order to get the tranny temp up some. My B&M cooler does a fantastic job of cooling. I also have a 700R4 with a stall around 2400 rpm.

Hope this helps some.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 02:16 PM   #3
AirMale

I wouldn't spend cash on that either. I converted over to the Big Block radiator (4row). It's a drop in and all you need is a $20 top plate, LMC sells em'. The new radiator was $149 and my baby never runs hot. The capacity is over 2 gallons.
AirMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 02:45 PM   #4
78chevstepside

One disadvantage of a big cooling system is that it takes forever for the truck to get warm. Meaning the heater inside the truck. I converted my 78 to a 355 v-8 10 years ago. I used a donor stock 3 core radiator from a 73 3/4 ton with shroud. My truck never overheats.
78chevstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 03:09 PM   #5
DCRANER

Thanks. Hey Mike, I guess I will do the Stewart pump and the Spal fans, as my engine just does not get hot anyway. And, this would be a nice upgrade when I do the March (no underdrive) pulley system.

I started thinking of the BeCool when I was looking for a better recovery tank. My GM plastic one, the second new one, seeps a little fluid at the bottom seam and fixes don't seem to do the trick. Drives me nuts, so any ideas on a billet one, etc.?

So much to do to finish the truck, still at the paint shop to fix the hood color. Can't wait to get it back and finish all the billet pieces, MSD, shifter, etc. Spring is coming soon and I will be heading to Englishtown Raceway Park for some 1/4 mile times.

Thanks again.

Doug

86 GMC SWB, DK. BLUE, ZZ430,TH400, 4.11'S, HEADMAN CERAMIC HEADERS, WELD BILLETS, BFG 275 / 60 / 15, 325 / 50 / 15 DRAG RADIALS, FIBERGLASS COWL HOOD, B&M SHIFTER. MSD, MARCH PULLEYS / ALT. / PWR. STEER PUMP, BECOOL RAD., BILLET GRILL & GRANT WHEEL.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:29 PM   #6
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

What about something like this?

This is the one Summit sells. It's polished aluminum. Not a bad price either at $49.95.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 02-26-2004, 06:48 PM   #7
DCRANER

Quote:
Originally posted by swervin ervin
What about something like this?

This is the one Summit sells. It's polished aluminum. Not a bad price either at $49.95.
That looks like a good one / idea. I assume that would be mounted vertical, on the inside of the radiator support.

Thanks again.

Doug
Old 02-26-2004, 08:50 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Doug,

after looking at that again, I'm wondering if this will function normally. It says it keeps coolant from spilling on the track. I wonder if it will siphon the coolant back into the radiator like stock one does.

1985 Chevy C-10
Old 02-26-2004, 11:27 PM   #9
toytruck
5-7 dropped 87 CC Dually

That would work if you added a vent on top.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:09 AM   #10
DCRANER

Quote:
Originally posted by swervin ervin
Doug,

after looking at that again, I'm wondering if this will function normally. It says it keeps coolant from spilling on the track. I wonder if it will siphon the coolant back into the radiator like stock one does.
Thanks Mike, but I think this is an expansion tank, designed to catch & hold overflow for drag racing.

I have a Stylin Concepts catalog which shows a true recovery tank in aluminum with a billet cap and an optional braided stainless line kit with AN fittings. Says for 1988 up years, but most likely will work.

I will look into this as it sounds like a good choice.

Doug