The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-29-2004, 01:15 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Sound deadner- Response to Gregsmx and Slonaker

Gregsmx and Slonaker, I thought I would pull this out of Jeff's thread because it is a good topic. There are quit a few of us restoring trucks that may have interest.

Y'all are probably right. The products you mention like Peel & Seal are somewhat similiar to the various brands of automotive sound deadener mat on the market. They are also cheaper than even the B-Quit Brown Bread, but not with out trade offs.

After some research I discovered that one issue with the these "Non-Automotive" (for lack of better terms) sound deadener is they have a smell of tar. When installed on a roof, or in an attic that's not an issue. When installed inside a vehicle I would assume it's not very pleasant.

My thoughts were that the companies that sell the automotive specific deadener are going to be very concerned with their image, and take the extra steps to avoid anything that might make their product undersirable.

I also felt that I had no proof of these products ability to perform. On the other hand I had un-biased test results showing the performance of B-Quiet's "Brown Bread" Take a look at their website and read the magazine test results. I was impressed enough to order some from this guys Ebay auction the next day....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:39 AM   #2
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

I realize that I came in the middle of what apears to be a large discussion, but thought I'd throw in my testimonial to the low cost brownbread sound deadening since it relates to this thread.
I used it in my truck. I cut and applied in 4" squares in a checkeboard pattern wherever possible. It greatly reduced the exterior noises inside the cab. The idea behind the checkerboard is that you really only have to "deaden" the peaks and valleys of the panel's vibration curve which makes it flat. This leaves the whole panel evectively deadened for 1/2 of the price.

Hope I save you some $$ with this tip.

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
J-Spec C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:21 AM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Kyle,
That's good info. If you want to save some money that's a great idea. I bought a roll, so I plan to use a full layer inside the door, and another one under the door panel.

This wasn't really a large discussion. Some guys had asked questions in another thread. I had hoped by responding in a seperate post it would stimulate some conversation. I appreciate your input...
Old 03-02-2004, 12:50 PM   #4
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

No problem, I noticed that alot of the threads don't have nearly as many responses as they used to. Its probably just the time of year.

Do the doors really let in that much roadnoise? I know that they have a lot of annoying whisles at high speed, but you seem to be using a heck of a lot of soundproofing in each door. I have rustproofing in both doors, as well as rubberized rockerguard (spray can) I never smell anything inside the cab, and it was another inexpensive soundproofing idea.

Can you tell Im working on a shoestring budget? haha

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
Old 03-02-2004, 01:03 PM   #5
LOHRTBT
BeWarE tHe eViL CrAnkTOe!

well guys I bought some of the BQuiet stuff and was not impressed. it was about 1/3 the thickness of Dynamat and just had a "sticky" feel to it all around and very flimsy. I ended up selling it and using dynamat all over. the adhesive side was not as strong as the dynamat either, so I was hesitant to use it on the headliner area. I have had the dynamat on my truck for over 2 years and was a daily driver in the heat and snow and no problems with adhesion or anything at all.

- 1986 Chevy SWB - Stock for now
- 1986 Chevy Custom SWB *Stolen 6/26/05*
- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods
www.cardomain.com/id/ramairdave

AIM Screenname - Jester84
LOHRTBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 01:04 PM   #6
LOHRTBT

and yes...it REALLY kills tons of road noise/tire noise and makes the bass hit so much tighter when you have a system

- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods

Old 03-02-2004, 01:22 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Dave I thought there might be a trade of too, since it is cheaper than Dyna-Mat. If you read this thread- Installed some "Brown Bread".PIC'S You will see that is not the case. Scroll down and read what 67dragtruck says about it sticking. It does move around at first, but once it starts to cure it's almost impossible to remove.

It is thinner, hence more pliable. That "should" mean less dampening as well, but it doesn't. If you read the info on the B-Quit site tests results from an Audio magazine prove it to perform better than the thicker mat.

It "seems" for the price, it's hard to beat. You results "seem" to disprove that though...
Old 03-02-2004, 05:58 PM   #8
LOHRTBT

well...hehe I guess that I should add for the deal I got on the name brand thicker stuff...hehe I didnt care at the time.

Im sure both would be just fine to use.

- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods

Old 03-02-2004, 06:04 PM   #9
LOHRTBT

I know that the thick stuff is a biaaaatch to heat up and put into place with the roller. hehe...would prolly be a big advantage to the thinner stuff.

- 1985 Chevy SWB SOLD
- 1999 T/A Some mods

Old 03-03-2004, 03:01 AM   #10
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

The brownbread didn't want to stick very well at first for me, but once it was rolled out, man.... I couldnt peel it off if I tried.