The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2004, 04:38 PM   #1
Stanford
WILLY FOR PRESIDENT!!

Question Speedometer Questions

Here's the deal. When I put my crate motor (stock 275hp.) in my '71 a few years back, i decided that I also needed a new gauge cluster. I bought it all as a packaged unit. I noticed that my MPHs are off a little, well last I knew it read 10 mph slower than what I was going. So it read 20 when going 30. The other day I followed my buddy up to salina so he could get some new tires mounted on his bike. When we got there he asked how fast I was driving. I told him that i was trying to keep it around 75, and he told me we were running about 83. On the way back we got a clean stretch of interstate and we went side by side and had the same result, when my speedo reads 65, and im thinking im going 75, he said that his bike read 83-85. I know that his may not be correct, but i do know that its got to be closer than mine.

Now that I have board you with the story, I was curious if anyone knows what is causing this. Is it something simple or is it going to be a complicated fix. I've also noticed the speedo bouncing around in my '68 4x4. The tranny in the '71 is a th350 and the '68 is a sm465. Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stanford

'67 C/10 FOR SALE!! $600, runs, strait grill, good parts, or beater truck
'68 GMC K25, 4x4, current project
'71 Custom/10, Crate 350, My Baby!!
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 05:05 PM   #2
rickspickuppart
Account Suspended

what size tires does it have?

The 4WD guys on here probably have more experience w/ this than I do, but bigger tires will make it read slow.

Shawn
rickspickuppart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 06:13 PM   #3
Stanford
WILLY FOR PRESIDENT!!

Both trucks have stock tires. Im more worried about my '71 because thats my daily driver and im afraid one of these days im going to get stuck with a pretty big ticket.

Stanford

'67 C/10 FOR SALE!! $600, runs, strait grill, good parts, or beater truck
'68 GMC K25, 4x4, current project
'71 Custom/10, Crate 350, My Baby!!
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 06:53 PM   #4
Huck

It's as simple as changing the speedo gear that your cable goes into at the transmission. It comes right out the side and you stick in a different gear ration to speed up the cable. Can't tell you which to go to no knowing what you have but if you go to any transmission shop, they have the gears and can tell you what you need if you bring in the old one. No big whoop---
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote