The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2004, 08:43 AM   #1
70cst

What to do with with bed... Fix steel floor or go with wood floor?

I am about to have one good bed made out of two beds. My bed has good sides and front but the floor is shot. I have a Tx bed I was going to use as a donor. (Use its floor and my sides.) The sides and front of the Tx bed is junk but it has a great rust free floor. Then I started to think...(ouch) Would I be better off converting to a wood floor? It will cost about $1000 to have the bed taken off...make two beds from one...and put back on the truck. Which is the best bang for the buck. I await your advice, suggestions, and opinions. Your humble truck enthusiast.
Regards,
70cst
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 10:51 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Converting to a wood floor is not going to be cheap either as you will need cross members, wood, trim and a gazillion bolts. I really think more depends on what you prefer for a floor. Changing a bed floor out should not be that big of a project. I am not sure where your estimated costs came from unless you are having someone do the work.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 11:16 AM   #3
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

What will cost $1000? The steel floor or the wood?
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:45 PM   #4
70cst

What is going to cost a $1000. That's what the body shop is going to charge to take the bed off my truck and then take the side and front from my bed and match it to the spare Tx bed. He will also have to take off the side fenfers and front of the Tx bed since they are full dents and bondo. He will then take the Tx bed floor and my front and side fenders from the original truck bed and make one good bed. Then he will put it back on my truck. I am truck body challenged plus with my work schedule I do not have the time to do this my self. I've been wanting to do this for about 3 years and I just decided to go ahead and have it done. I did not know if it would be feasible to go with a wood floor but the more I think about it...I think in the long term the steel floor is a better way to go go for my application.
If after this your confused join the crowd cause I think I just confused myself again.
PS...Since my wife said go ahead and get it fixed I thought I'd better do so before she changes my mind.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:58 PM   #5
Kas68c10

Go, go, go before the boss changes her mind!!!!
1968 SWB Stepside, 250,pwr disc brake and tilt pwr steering, 5 spd tranny, HEI,Accel coil,K&N filter,Seat from a later truck with built in seatbelts, front and rear sway bars, moved gas tank to under the bed, headman hedders, new chrome bumpers,one wire alternator,Weber k550cub carburator...WORK IN PROGRESS, Freeland MI , Just bought a 72 Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!
Kas68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 08:55 PM   #6
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Are they doing any body work, paint for the $1000? Seems a little steep for just unbolting and bolting stuff together. There is going to be more work to put a wood floor in rather then a steel floor, more bolts, staining painting the wood and metal strips. Depending on what you are using it floor they both have their strengths and weaknesses for longetivity.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:41 PM   #7
70cst

It's my understanding he will have to drill out all the spot welds. separate the inner and outer fenders...then weld the fenders together plus the front section of the bed...then mate all the metal to the floor...then re-install the bed back on the frame. He is also going to do some work on the roof. A lot of surface rust is on the roof and I want the rust sanded off and get some prmer painted on till I can get all the body work done and painted. I think I will paint POR on the frame under the bed while it is off.
I thought $1000 for all that work wasn't to bad. One thing the body man said that got my attention...he said it looked like a "fun project"...verses just another job.
After looking at the expense of converting to a wood floor I thought staying with steel was the better way to go. Also if I put in a wood bed I'd be afraid to haul anything.
I do appreciate all you feedback and opinions.
Regards
70cst
Old 03-05-2004, 11:16 PM   #8
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Oh, they are seperating the panels, hell I would charge a grand for that, I started to do that to a pair of bedsides but then decided to go look for some better ones.