The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2004, 10:40 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Time for our weekly edition of "What did you get done"

What did you get done this weekend? I spent a lot of time with my daughter since she had volleyball practice Friday night for 3.5 hours, and a tournament on Saturday that started at 8 and wasn't done till 3.

I do have a bit of truck fun though. I pulled my 02 Harley F-150 out and dusted it off. The weather was so nice, I knew the local cruise spot would be jumpin. We took a cruise and checked out all the hot rods.

Today was spent doing yard work, going to Church, and more yard work.

I guess the most truck realted things I did was bid on a couple of tilt columns on Ebay, and wrote a check to pay for the crate motor that will go in my 77 in the fall....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

I am mocking up a few things on my frame. I have some things to deal with though. I sat the engine and tranny on and am checking clearance issues. I will have to sit the cab on to check firewall to distributor problems next weekend. Anyone with input on my issue please see "I have a few issues" in the suspension section.
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448

Last edited by phantom dually; 03-07-2004 at 11:02 PM.
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:00 PM   #3
mike63078

got the frames for my buckets welded
mike63078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:12 PM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

I put my muffler back on after I blew it off, lol, that took me like 6 hours, with a lot of welding involved. The muffler got beat up pretty badly when I blew it off after opening the secondaries on a hill, lol

Next up -- Gotta time her, and thats about it for the weekend. On Monday I'm hoping to get the honing done on the 350 I am slowly rebuilding, and starting on the head rebuild.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:19 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I swapped out the seat belts I had rewebbed with the ones I bought off ebay. Only the two side real/shoulder parts. I don't need the rest of it with bucket seats. After I had the belts redone, they never did work right. You know how you can pull the shoulder harness out some and it will stay with slack in it. Well, my old redone ones didn't do this anymore. The ones I bought worked perfect.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:25 PM   #6
Prerunner1982

well i didnt do much to the truck until later today. got my "jerry" cans and the mounts painted. as well as the holes marked where i want them. going to mount then on the back of the tool box, one on each side.
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:26 PM   #7
C-10volvo

friday i went looking for an audi to be my daily driver. i found a 1998 a4 that looked nice. i washed and waxed the volvo and took it for a nice and long drive. it was awesome. i did not touch the truck much. i have started to label vacuum lines, took out the shrouds, fans, and everything else in the way to make the engine swap much faster when i finally get my motor.
For everything else: 1997 BMW M3
C-10volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:33 PM   #8
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

I put my gauges back in...temporarily. I lost a clip on the back of the oil pressure gauge and am waiting on another one in the mail (Thanks Russell!). So I have been driving around with no dash pad or bezel...

Checked on an 82 shortbed that might be for sale. It needs a motor and every interior piece and anything that was under the hood, is in the bed of the truck.

Painted my headlight bezel to match the other one.

Started the bodywork on my cab Sunday. Took a wire wheel to half of the rust on a rocker panel and snapped some pics. I was going to post the pics and ask if it was worth saving or not. A minute later I put a hole right through the rocker panel, so that answered my question.

Oh, and i may have talked my father-in-law into helping me cut my LWB down to a SWB.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:49 PM   #9
SCOTI

Saturday I spent most of the day dropping a neighbors ultra-clean 66 big window lwb truck. I did lowering blocks w/some fresh gas shocks out back & stepped a-arms + 1 coil off the front springs & fresh shocks. It was a pretty mild drop by my standards but he was looking for the old school 'tail dragging' lead sled look.

Sunday AM I adjusted the alignment so he could get it home. I wanted to drop the front a little more but waited until he could look @ it to make the final decision. He came by & decided it was just right & was very pleased. Now he wants me to paint his interior, install the new sway-bar he ordered, weld-up his trim holes........ (you get the idea).

Guys, this truck has only 51K on the meter & it is one of the tightest trucks I've ever seen. The doors & hood shut w/almost no effort & they shut SOLID! The 3spd shifter has absolutely no play @ all (and those of you who know me, know about my 68's 3spd shifter problems driving me up a freaking wall)..... I was floored. The choke cable even worked like it was brand, spanking new. Absolutely no rust anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told him if he decides to sell, he has to come to me first.

After that, I messed around w/the 'new' piece of crap 3spd floor shifter in my 68. Stupid thing keeps hanging up in first gear (which means getting out the floor jack/jackstands, unjamming the linkage, & starting all over). After adjusting, it jams again ...... so I pulled the boot off & watched the linkage as I shifted through the gears. The bolt/tension spring that dictates which trans fork moves looked like it wasn't tight enough. I replaced the hardware (cheap bolt/nuts) w/better quality stuff & tightened the piss out of it. So far it feels much more precise & shifts good so I'll give it a couple of days & see if it's better......
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:55 PM   #10
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I spent the weekend cleaning my new toy. I scored an 87 IROC convertible, one of 744 convert's made in 87. This one is a 305 TPI/5 speed car. Right now it is my driver, as my wife killed teh Tahoe last week. I think I am going to start looking for an 89-91 'burb or Blazer pretty soon, though.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:07 AM   #11
gldevall

Saturday the wife, Jr and I went off for the day. Went to a local state park and went on some of the nature trails there. Not bad for $2.00. Took the traction bars off the truck to "modify" them so that I can feel safe driving around town with them on. Found out Saturday night that a friend of my sister and brother-in-law's got killed in a car wreck last night. It was abot a late 90-ish Z-28. Supposedly he had been drinking during the day and was showing off and hit 3rd gear and car slipped sideways and crossed the center line and a truck hit him, probably around the driver's door. From the impact his head hit the front of the truck. I really didn't know him, but he was only 21 and it is real stupid that people do this kind of sh!t.

Sunday- Went lawn mower shopping with my dad; weed eated around the house, really need to mow the grass its getting kind of tall. For all you Northern guys, it has been in the upper 70's low 80's down here for all of March so far. Then this afternoon boiled some crawfish and shrimp. Had a pretty good weekend.
-2004 Z-71 Extended cab with a flowmaster, BDS 6.5", 3" BL, 35x12.5x18 Trail Grapplers on Pro-Comp 18x9 wheels
gldevall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:10 AM   #12
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Friday I had school and saturday AM my daughter had a piano cometition. I did clean the bird crap and tree sap off the 82'sa windshield...hope that counts for something . More out of necessity than desire since the 96 is laid up until the body gets redone.
Had a computer job Most of saturday and rest of weekend was spent on the yard. One bad thing about the south...Stupid grass starts waking up too early!!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:24 AM   #13
bpmcgee

Man, top this:

Friday: Taxes! $3200 back from the feds! That'll pay for some new sheet metal for the Blazer!

Saturday: Got the Blazer running right! See my other post on that. Pulled the A/C box on my buddies corvette (c3) so that we can install new gaskets.

Sunday: 10 hours of plumbing! Ripped out a bunch of old galvanized and replaced it with copper so that I could -- install a dishwasher! Got that done too!

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:30 AM   #14
ItsNotABlazer
The full convertible guy

Saturday went to a small gathering in Rowlett with a bunch of the guys from over at www.fullsizechevy.com complete with lots of brisket,ribs, links and other great food and a bunch of bs'ing of course.

Heres one of the guys links to some pics.

http://www.dfwlp.com/~redz71/fscfor...06-DFW-Cookout/

Took the 95 down there but the weather turned out so nice I wish I could have taken the top off the Jimmy and took it for a long drive. Oh well maybe next time.

Sunday did nothing much but going to work some on the 64 tomorrow I think.

Brad
1975 GMC Jimmy 2WD lowered 4/6
1972 Chevy Trazer soon to be roadster
1965 Mustang 289/3 speed (friends dad bought it new)
1964 Chevy C10 (dad bought it new)
ItsNotABlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:37 AM   #15
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Friday a friend of mine called me, and asked when we were going to s tart putting my truck together. i jokingly mentioned it to her last weekend, not expecting her to actually want to help. so i got my garage buddy back. i bet yall aint got one as purty as mine. :p

did a brake inspection on my grandma's car yesterday afternoon. took me 2 hours to get one wheel off. GM and their self centering wheels.

today i pulled the front suspension off of the K10 frame, and straightened it. the 3/4 ton 10 bolt is in place, ready to bolt up when i get the new springs and bushings. scored a set of new TC EZ-Ride 6" springs from a CK5 member for $150 shipped earlier in the week. just waiting on them to get here.

Last edited by 1FaastC10; 03-08-2004 at 12:41 AM.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 01:28 AM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Ok, now I can finally say I did something truck related. I just won a rebuilt tilt column for my 77. I have been bidding on a few recently. The bid went over $270 on one, and $317 on another. I guess I slipped in when no one was looking and stole this one for $152.73 Too bad it's not like the good old days when Wayne or Randy would offer "Buy it Now" for $149.00+ shipping...
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 01:46 AM   #17
bagged74
its just $$$$$

As usual, I did nothing on either of my trucks.

Saturday: worked all day
Sunday: installed 2/4 drop kit on 93 chevy p/u for friend of my lil bro's. Installed Spal power window and lock kit on 2003 Dodge Ram.(this guy really should have spent just a little more when he bought the truck hahaha.) I did however send the wife to pick up some parts for my truck. Tomorrow I am gonna replace both u-joints and change the oil on the 68.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 02:07 AM   #18
Russell
Professional Grade

Quote:
Originally posted by N2TRUX
Ok, now I can finally say I did something truck related. I just won a rebuilt tilt column for my 77. I have been bidding on a few recently. The bid went over $270 on one, and $317 on another. I guess I slipped in when no one was looking and stole this one for $152.73 Too bad it's not like the good old days when Wayne or Randy would offer "Buy it Now" for $149.00+ shipping...
I built myself a solid tilt in perfect shape minus a bit of dirt and a loose shifting arm knob for $35.00 cnd

I just fixed my timing light, so maybe I can get the timing set right on the truck already :P

Where should I set my timing at? (this is my timing marker below) I want it to get decent mileage, but also have some decent power. This picture is from when my engine was FILTHY... My owners manual doesn't show what mark means what for timing it...

Old 03-08-2004, 03:53 AM   #19
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

I worked on my tranny cooler install and replacing lines. Finally invested in a crow's foot set and ran into trouble trying to get the ends off the tranny case. Ended up breaking two old lines and taking out the bushing. Now I have to wait till the wife gets home with some tomorrow to reinstall. Hope all goes well

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:12 AM   #20
apstguy
LED King

Is it really worth it to get the crows feet or will regular wrenches do just fine?

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:50 AM   #21
Nvbowtie

Got my hood back on, and started the joy of bodywork.

1988 Chevy Blazer Tahoe
Nvbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 08:40 AM   #22
TwinTurbo

didn't do anything, truck is still at the exhaust shop getting the SS dual side oulet exhaust welded on (not bent, made from straight sections and bends) The guy needs to get into high gear, it's been there for over a week now
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:57 AM   #23
coargonaut

I picked my 95 up from the engine rebuilder. Rebuilt motor, rebuilt tranny. Got a trip in to try and get the first 500 miles out of the way. After that milestone, I can get some real driving in.

Ed
Old 03-08-2004, 11:40 AM   #24
Gibble
mmmm....Rye and Coke

Well, I picked up my 425 BBO for my truck while I bought my Meteor.

It doesn't need to much work. I need to replace this fender, but he threw in another set.

Very little rust on this car though!

But it does need a new rear bumper.

And it's missing the radio

Unfortunately it has a "small" oil leak...

But we took it to the carwash, cleaned off all the oil and it appears to be leaking from the intake...so I have to get that fixed as well as the tranny rebuilt (seals are old and dried out)

But the important thing is the Olds BBO for the truck
Gibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:36 PM   #25
Grim Reaper

Well I noticed a loose intake bolt on the 88 burb. Sombody has been into the motor. Thye did shotty work and I'm finding loose stuff all over and I am now convinced they are why I had all the problems with the exhaust manifolds on it. I am now conviced my oil leak is the intake to block point.

Trying to decide if I should yank it in the next week or two or wait till after the trip we tak in it first week of april.

Tinkered on the 75 and finaly got it running right I think. Looks like it's a bad pickup in the distributor. Buddy just converted to TPI and sold me his distributor complet with Accell coil for $15. Seems to run a lot better and the skip is gone. I'm not happy with the timing curve or the vac advance settings so going to play with that a little.

I also made a decision about hte 75. I'm converting it to deisel. It's a trail truck and it's major problem on the trail is stalling out nose up. I was going to convert it to FI and even collected most of the parts I need BUT I scored a complete 6.2 with everything I need for cheap. That will happen in a couple months and not right away. 20 mpg hwy is not sounding bad.

Bought a smoker Friday. Smoked a preseason Lemon pepper pork loin and my wife and I found a rub recipt on line and we did a secont port loin and salmon with it. 5.5 hours in the smoker. The Salmon fell apart when you tried to cut it. Both tender loins could be cut with a fork. Didn't care a lot for the seasoning on the premade one. It was good but the one we did with the rub was awsome. Had my Mom, sister and her huspand over for dinner. we were all laying around like beached wales. It was some good eats.

Last edited by Grim Reaper; 03-08-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote