The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2004, 01:19 AM   #1
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Big Starter Problems, Kinda wierd.

Well... I had a VERY strange thing happen today. I went out to start her up right after I had driven her previously... The weather was kinda warm, but nothing she hadnt seen before. It had been about 30 minutes since I had driven her.

So I turn the key and start the ignition, everything starts fine, but the starter sounds like it wont turn off. So I put the key in the off position and the starter wont stop still. I dont know if the thing was engaging the flywheel. Id have to assume not since the engine wasnt making VERY bad noises. So I eventually just pull the negative battery terminal. I put it back on and everything is pretty good except the car wont turn over. Did My starter blow or what? I need to know if I need a new starter... I really dont want to put one on with the headers and all.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:32 AM   #2
TIMSPEED

Re: Big Starter Problems, Kinda wierd.

Quote:
Originally posted by r0lf-
I really dont want to put one on with the headers and all.
It's not that hard actually. Don't ask me how I know this. I'd say it's your starter, but it MIGHT also be the contacts in the ignition switch. The ignition switch might have froze in the "start" position, therefore sending power to your starter no matter what position the key is in. Then, after you pulled your battery cable and replaced it, the ignition switch may have took a dump.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:53 AM   #3
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Hrmmm... Well I checked the battery to see if it was low after everything happened and it still had a solid 12.5V with the ignition off... so im pretty sure its not that. I dont even hear the sucker clicking on/off to engage when I try to engage the starter from the key in the ignition.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:52 AM   #4
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Hrmmm... Well I checked the battery to see if it was low after everything happened and it still had a solid 12.5V with the ignition off... so im pretty sure its not that. I dont even hear the sucker clicking on/off to engage when I try to engage the starter from the key in the ignition.
I would do this...make a "bumpswitch". Then disconnect everything from your starter, except your battery cable, then connect the "bumpswitch", and see if you hit the switch if the starter will function normally (Engage/Disengage). If it does, then your ignition switch is toast.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:08 AM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I'd say your solenoid is shot. Probably has some burned spots on the copper disc on the inside. Don't know the technical name of this piece but have had it happen to me before.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 02:31 PM   #6
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

So??? The solenoid is shot eh? How do I replace this badboy?
Old 03-12-2004, 03:36 PM   #7
fanman

Before you go an pull the starter off, try hitting the solenoid with a hammer. I had mine get stuck, so that it had the same problem you described (spinning with no engagment). If this doesn't fix the problem, the replace the solenoid. It should be faily striaght forward.

I'm not stuck, I've still got some gas left"
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:01 PM   #8
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Hitting it with a hammer may unstick it for now but if disc is burned it will stick again when it lands in the same spot.

Not saying for sure this is the problem but it sounds like it to me. To replace the solenoid you have to remove the starter since the solenoid is mounted to it. If the starter is pretty old, just as well replace the whole thing and be done with it. You can replace the solenoid only but starter motor is probably close to going out also.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:17 PM   #9
Destructo

Perhaps since you have headers you could get a mini starter and a heat shield to help keep the starter from getting hot because of the headers.

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Regular Cab 2wd 4-banger, 5 speed, Street Pack with 3.73 axle.
Destructo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:42 PM   #10
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Well guys. Its not the solenoid... I pulled the starter and took it to the local napa to check if it was faulty and its not. It appears to be the switch... So I have to go digging through the column to find out where the problem is. God this is going to not be fun.

Oh well... atleast I dont have to buy a new starter or solenoid. The whole motor is pretty new and all, so im glad thats not at fault. It does have a "new" column since the truck has been broken into before and I had to replace the column since it got all busted up.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:53 PM   #11
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Ok, somebody go through my logic here... I dont think its the actual part in the column that the key goes into since the brake light thing on the dash illuminates when I turn it on to the ignition position... Im thinking its further down the dash on the actual ignition part.

Its a really hard thing to get to though. Anybody know what color the ignition wire is? Im really wanting to hotwire it, just to make sure the starter works.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:44 PM   #12
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

You have to drop the column to get the switch off. Not remove, just drop it down. Not hard to do. The switch is on top of column right behind the dash. It is connected with a rod to the key lock cylinder. Make sure the lock cylinder is in the lock position before removing the switch.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:29 PM   #13
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Thanks swerve... I found where the switch is. Do I have to remove the wheel and everything to drop the column or just take out the bolts and such... My book tells me I have to do a lot of stuff that I dont think would be neccisary.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:53 PM   #14
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

No, just remove the bracket holding the column to the dash. Nothing needs to be taken off. Once the column is loose you can take the switch off.

Edit. You will need take gear position indicator loose.

Last edited by swervin ervin; 03-12-2004 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:12 PM   #15
TIMSPEED

Quote:
It appears to be the switch...
Wow, I can't believe I was actually right!
Old 03-12-2004, 10:34 PM   #16
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Any tips on getting to that switch? Ive loosened the column... but there still isnt much play at all. The switch is in a really nasty spot. And what should I do with it once its out? Just replace it?
Old 03-13-2004, 02:08 PM   #17
r0lf-
Hotwheels?

Bump please... Im really stuck.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:49 PM   #18
mhorning

rolf,

Make sure you disconnect the string that is attached to the shift indicator. This will give you a little more play. It's attached to the column with a little clip. Once you get those two bolts off the column you should be able to gently push down on the column enought to get in there. It's tight, but not too bad.