The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
oldsub86

Safety Issues?

I expect some flack on this but here goes . . .

How safe do you think these old trucks are? I know they are relatively big and solid but they predate most of the improvements in safety in recent years. I am reasonably ok with the idea of tangling with a small car like a Firefly at local town speeds but I wonder what might happen to me if I get nailed by some big dumb sob in a newer 3/4 ton 4X4.

I could improve the seatbelts and maybe swap to a newer steering wheel but I don't know how much more I could improve my chances.

I don't drive it much so I think my odds are pretty good but my younger son is about to get a licence and has indicated an interest in using the pickup as his transportation. I don't mind the idea of sharing it with him despite the fact that it may be a bit hard on my poor old truck and it may get involved in an accident ( I hope not) but I don't like the idea that he could get hurt.

Tell me what you think on the subject.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:09 PM   #2
toms68cst

My biggest fear is the gas tank behind the seat. I'd hate to think what would happen if one got hit hard in the side in that area. That's one very good reason to relocate it to the frame.

I'd say with gas tank relacation, front disk brake upgrade and shoulder belts one could make these trucks fairly safe. The steering column is already a energy absorbing type as far as I know. Of course you'd want to make sure the truck is otherwise in good condition tires, exhaust and such.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.

Last edited by toms68cst; 03-12-2004 at 03:19 PM.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 04:12 PM   #3
oldsub86

Actually the steering column is one of the things that does concern me. I took one apart in a junk yard to get the power steering box etc. I wasn't sure if the column parts were the same so I took the shaft all the way from the flex coupling to the wheel. It is a straight steel shaft about 3/4" diameter and close to 4 feet long. Sort of a spear if someone hits you head on.

I do sort of agree on the gas tank issue. I have not moved it and really don't want to but acknowledge that it would likely be better way in the back between the frame rails. I like the idea of the big tank but do not want it to hang down . I wonder how hard it might be to install another type of tank lengthwise between the frame rails. My Toyota 4Runner has such a tank and something like that might work.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:03 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The 67 and 68 steering columns are NOT the ones that colapse. If you want that, get the pieces from a 69 to 72.
Another train of thought on the fuel tank is the fact that in 75% of your traffic accidents, the in cab tank would not be even remotly effected. Most of your wrecks are front end or front 3/4, or getting rear ended. However, the under bed (in front of axle) in between frame rails type tank would probably be the safest, but with that, it would be hard, at best, to run dual exhaust.
As for the 3 point seat belts, technicly, it is a federal violation to install them onless you are installing the non ratcheting type that was originaly an option...and some inspectors will actually bust you on this. (I got called out on this in Tx) The problem is the fact that most ppl will modify the anchor point to do this, which is considered unsafe.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 01:20 AM   #5
guitarornothin
RUNN over AGAIN!!!

dont wanna be like this guy????

poor dude

(i made it myself)
Attached Images

XNXNXNXNXNXNXNXNXNXNX
,/. EMAIL ME HERE!, Dont pm me please
,/.
guitarornothin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 09:14 AM   #6
Bowtie67

My steering assembly i just pulled out of my 67 had a colapsable shaft, I think the only real reason why GM pulled out the gas Tank bhind the seats was more in line with leakage and fumes. Collapsable shafts can be purchased from Flaming river for any length. I think the biggest saftey issue with these truck to todays automobiles is more on the line of hitting another newer vehicle how they collaps to absorb impact. I think you are over reacting to much about the safety issue here or more on the issue of how you feel about your son's driving capabilities. If you are worried about his saftey get him a Volvo. JMO
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 02:22 PM   #7
mrein3

Re: Safety Issues?

Quote:
Originally posted by oldsub86
I am reasonably ok with the idea of tangling with a small car like a Firefly at local town speeds but I wonder what might happen to me if I get nailed by some big dumb sob in a newer 3/4 ton 4X4.
I'm glad I work with a Canadian otherwise I wouldn't know what you are talking about. (we don't have the Pontiac Firefly down here).

If you hit a modern 3/4 ton 4x4 it too would fold like a Firefly. "The New F150" can't possibly have the strongest frame ever in a truck like they advertise. Put one up on a hoist and look at it. You'll run screaming back to your solid front axel real truck.

It has been many years since you could buy a new 1/2 ton truck and hang a plow on it. You need to get a modern 1-ton to get the capability you have in your '72 3/4-ton.

Don't worry about it. Put your seat belt on and you'll be fine should the unthinkable happen.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 02:28 PM   #8
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

The idea of safety back then was having a padded dash board :p
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 02:52 PM   #9
mr402

A little experience after being rear-ended hard. Truck was a 71 GMC 2500. Back in Dec. of 02 I was rear hit hard enough that the front of the bed dented the rear of the cab (no frame damage). The car that hit me was a F&%# Contour. Front end of that car was demolished. Damage to the truck was less than $2k. Damage to me was another issue. I still have a sore neck and permanent hearing damage. (Weird, but a neck injury can cause hearing problems) I STRONGLY recommend installing a late model seat with head rests. If my truck had them my neck would be fine now. I also suggest a 3 point seat belt. Other than that these trucks are great and do a very good job of protecting their occupants. I’ve been driving 67 – 72s since 1975 and will continue to do so for a long time.
mr402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 07:12 PM   #10
Chevyguy111786

these trucks are steel and don't collapse...they are very safe in MHO. the gas tank issue. if you look, there is a lot of room that the truck would have to collapse to cause problems to the gas tank, by that time i think you have other problems to worry about. The seat belts i think are the biggest thing. other than that keep on truckin. i was rear ended once by a honda....totaled the honda, scratched my tailgate...lol....these trucks are great for new drivers because they ARE safe and won't get him killed.
Chevyguy111786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 07:39 PM   #11
cdowns

you take your chances whatever you drive the biggest safety issue i see on a daily basis is driver education
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 07:56 PM   #12
Big69C20 Toy
Livin' it up.

I feel VERY safe in these old trucks.. i know from my working on them they're good strong steel and can take quite a banging. The issue with occupant safety on older vehicles is getting SLAMMED around since the truck woudlnt absorb much impact. The 3pt belts do help quite a bit and the idea of the gas tank going in cab is REALLY remote due to the location and how far in it would have to come. You'd have to collapse basically the entire door/cab side to even get close to smacking the tank, by that time you'd be more likely to sustain damage from the door collapsing on you.

Anyways training is the best thing, but accidents do happen, good luck to your son.
Big69C20 Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 10:18 PM   #13
oldsub86

I have to agree at least to some extent. I would rather have some size and weight than air bags. However, I also think that newer vehicles are safer because they are built to absorb shock.
Not so worried that it makes me want to get rid of my truck. I would worry about the kid no matter what he drives. I built up a 1980 Ford LTD for the elder son and he hated it so much that we got him a 1988 Honda Accord. So far he has had no accidents so hopefully the younger son will be as fortunate.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:09 PM   #14
smitty62

Sorry, I don't agree with many of the comments here. There are many safer vehicles out there than these trucks. The F150 probably is a much safer vehicle as it is made to collapse in a severe accident except for the passenger compartment. Note how an Indy car sheds pieces during a wreck--each piece dissapates some energy that the driver doesn't feel in his cocoon.
I love these '67/'72 trucks and am now on my third one, but NOT for their safety features. I am moving my gas tank, but for a larger tank and some room behind the seat, not for safety. Most certainly they need 3-point belts, headrests and a collapsible steering column. If you think about it, the only difference in the pass. comp. and the rest of the truck is there is a seat--there is nothing added to protect the passengers except a lap belt and a dash pad. They had just begun to think of safety for trucks when these were built.

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 01:12 AM   #15
orangeuavol
GO VOLS!

I would have to attest that they are safe enough. I totaled my Dad's '72 C-10 when I was 16. Twisted and broke the frame, pushed the motor through the firewall, and curled the bed up like a dog eared page in a book. If it wasn't heavy as lead and had the trailing arm rear suspension I would have flipped it several times. It was the result of an untamed lead foot. Walked away with just a few cuts.

It's called golf because all the other four letter words were taken.

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.
orangeuavol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 01:59 AM   #16
MAC67
&quot; SHOW ME&quot;

i watched a fella completley colapse the roof in one of these trucks , and i mean completley , was airborn for 30 yards , lit on the nose and carthwheeled for another 30 yards , after landing on the top , truck was totaled , everything was garbage, but even layin in the road upside down it wasnt leaking fuel , well that is until the paramedics were cutting the guy out with the jaws of life and when they went to nip the seat brackets to get it off the top of him the snipped the bottom corner of the tank , smart fellas , the guy inside was getting a gasoline shower , they kicked it into high gear after that f@#k up
MAC67 is offline   Reply With Quote