The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2004, 03:41 PM   #1
Broken_down?

Oil vicosity breakdown

OK here is the deal.. Oil pressure at full hits half way. which is fine. going down highway same thing. but after a few hours the guage drops to the 3 quarter mark just bfore the low mark. and when I slow down it drop to low. When I go about the day and come back a few hours later and check the oil it is full according to the full mark on stick. I atest this to oil viscosity breakdown. Once the oil cools down it gets it's thinknes back again. If this is the case how do I keep it from breaking down or atleast making it stay thicker longer? I use 30W only. Mobile. I have put valvaline in a few weeks ago. do you think this makes any difference? And anyone selling a dwell meter? or a good set of fog lamps round perfered? Also would a better oil pump help? if so, which one and how high pressure? Any help is apperiated very much.

Thx
Rich.
WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION
Broken_down? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
MJN

If you're running just 30W then you should change to a something like 10w30. If you do end up changin the oil pump, go with a high volume, not high pressure. You don't need high pressure unless you do a lot of low rpm running. You can get high volume pumps that make the same pressure but pump more oil through your engine. How old is the engine, how many miles? I would try a different oil and if that doesn't do it, then maybe your engine is just tired.
'72 GMC Sierra Custom K2500- in progress
'08 GMC Envoy Denali
'12 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali
'17 GMC Yukon XL
VCCA member #58596
http://www.nohrco.com
MJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 11:55 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Actually, 10/30 would run even lower when the engine gets to temp.
Chances are your bearings are pretty worn out. A rebuild or replacement is probably in short order.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:26 AM   #4
tom hand
CCRider

It is normal for any motor to lose some oil pressure as it warms up. If you are really worried about it,and before I started changing oil pumps and motors,I would use a good gauge to check what the oil pressure really is...I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the factory gauge. Chances are that if the motor is not making any unusual noises,(lifters,knocking) your oil pressure is fine
Old 03-13-2004, 09:18 AM   #5
Bowtie67

Quote:
Originally posted by tom hand
It is normal for any motor to lose some oil pressure as it warms up. If you are really worried about it,and before I started changing oil pumps and motors,I would use a good gauge to check what the oil pressure really is...I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the factory gauge. Chances are that if the motor is not making any unusual noises,(lifters,knocking) your oil pressure is fine
I agree completely...
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 09:57 AM   #6
Huck

The older and more miles on a motor, the lower the oil pressure will be. Assuming your gauge is OK, your engine may just be showing is age/wear. You can change gauges but my choice would be to change to a high volumn oil pump to try and stretch more life out of the motor--knowing fully that I am not heading for the "motor afterlife cycle"!! changing oils will not fix this or extend the life of a warn, high mileage motor nor will any of those BS addatives. My .02
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 03:30 AM   #7
Broken_down?

great points. thanks for them all. I installed a temp guage this weekend to see the old one and the new one work @ same time to see what the difference was between the 2. Turns out that the factory guage was off a bit. showing hotter then it was. so I am going to install a new oil guage and see if that makes a difference.

Rich
WHY DO THEY CALL THEM JUNKYARDS ANYWAY??? I LIKE TO THINK OF IT AS A TREASURE HUNTING MISSION
Broken_down? is offline   Reply With Quote