The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2004, 07:04 PM   #1
Traci_DuBois

Vac Diagram for '73 C-10? Please Help!

Hi folks!

I bought my son a little '73 C-10 (with '74 and '79 parts identified so far) this summer. He is required to learn how to tinker before he is allowed to drive . . . .

Although these are fantastic vehicles to work on, I am having a very hard time coming up with the Vacuum Diagrams for it.

The VIN says it has a snortin' V8 in it, but alas it's just a mere 250 snoozing in there. (Inline 6 with 3 on the column)

I have the shop manuals and supplements for the 74-76 years, but nothing that I can identify as the vac diags.

Can anyone tell me where to find a set of 'em?

BTW, I can share info out of my manuals if anyone needs it.

Thanks much for your time,
Traci in Texas (and Wes, too)
Traci_DuBois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:59 PM   #2
rolson1039

i believe that theres a vacuum diagram in the back of the Haynes manual congrats on your purchase and its nice to see someone with the same idea as i had.. my son wanted an old 76 that i had from my company and we are trying to pull it apart and rebuild it so its safe to drive. its a long arduous task but hey its fun and its a great way to get quality time with your son good luck
let me know if ya need any little things for the interior!
Old 03-19-2004, 09:38 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

Glad you made it over Traci.

Welcome to the board.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:16 PM   #4
Traci_DuBois

Talking

Thank you, I think I may have found 'em! Now I just need to see if I can figure out what is supposed to be where. (Thinking: yank them ALL off and start anew.)

Dunno for sure -- I'll keep ya'll posted. <grin>

They are fantastic trucks to cut your teeth on. All the parts are $12 and readily available -- at least between AutoZone and the junk yards you can find it all. Check out the place called LMC.com They have everything you'd ever want, as long as you have the budget for it.

We picked this little truck up from eBay -- he had a $500 spending limit, so that greatly reduced the choices he had! LOL!

It runs, it moves, it passed inspection (snickering), and has new tires. Beyond that . . . . . we are just beginning. Started with brakes and replaced everything. Am currently trying to find how to convert the manual steering to power steering. Any suggestions??

Before my arms start lookin' like Popeye's . . . .
Traci

Quote:
Originally posted by rolson1039
i believe that theres a vacuum diagram in the back of the Haynes manual congrats on your purchase and its nice to see someone with the same idea as i had.. my son wanted an old 76 that i had from my company and we are trying to pull it apart and rebuild it so its safe to drive. its a long arduous task but hey its fun and its a great way to get quality time with your son good luck
let me know if ya need any little things for the interior!
Old 03-22-2004, 08:31 PM   #5
bigblock73
yeller

All you should need is the PS gearbox and possibly the lower steering linkage (that bolts to the PS gearbox)...and of course the resevoir, mounting bracket, and hoses.

Visit your local wrecking yard, I would bet at least 65% of all 73-87 GM trucks came equipped with PS.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 07:47 PM   #6
Traci_DuBois

Yeah, done that. Problem IS that whatever they did to "my" engine, the ones in the junkyard are laid out reversed of mine. I've "things" in the way of mounting the PS pulley. It has to be mounted on the driver's (L) side due to the steering gear location, but there are stuff 'n' things in the way already so there's nowhere to stick it. Gonna have to find out what they put on the wrong side and get it moved.

Ought to be fun, no?

Actually, I find it endlessly fun. My kids think I am nuts, but I love tinkering. I really like that feeling of accomplishment when we ~finally~ get it fixed and working and ~DONE~!

OK, so are the GMCs and Chevy's pretty much interchangable?? or at least close cousins? (I am a Ford gal, but couldn't find an OLD Ford that was under a couple grand.) We get to learn the 289/302/351 interchang-ability for Chevy. *No throwing tomatoes at me.*

At work; gotta go.
T

Quote:
Originally posted by bigblock73
All you should need is the PS gearbox and possibly the lower steering linkage (that bolts to the PS gearbox)...and of course the resevoir, mounting bracket, and hoses.

Visit your local wrecking yard, I would bet at least 65% of all 73-87 GM trucks came equipped with PS.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:17 PM   #7
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Traci, that is the best thing about working on a Chevy/GMC. There is a ton of interchangeable stuff. Pretty much everything 80 and older will work, and a lot of stuff that is newer will work as well. Sometime in the early 80's, they started mixing metric and standard bolt sizes. Those parts will work for the most part, as long as you have the right bolts.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:06 PM   #8
rolson1039

If im not mistake there is a guy on ebay who sells rebuilt steering boxes starting at $50 hopefully you can get one for that ive never needed one
the easiest is to go junkyarding b ut youll have to get the pulleys and if yours is a six youll also need to get the bottom pulley as they dont have enough on em