The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2004, 01:02 AM   #1
gohogs216

G1 and G2 trans am question

i love this board for chevy talk so i thought i might run this one by and see if anyone knows about cars too.

been lookin' at buying a trans and i like the looks of the generation 1 ('70-'73) but i think that a TA with ttops ('77 and later) is cool too.

i know you can easily swap parts from the 74-76 models and the 77-78 models, but do the body lines and hood match up on the 73 and 77 models...it looks like the front end might match up but i am really not sure about the back (especially the taillights)...obviously i would think that you would have to change the whole thing and probably some fabrication would be needed...but this would only work if the general body lines are the same.

currently looking for 69-72 blazer
gohogs216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 01:49 AM   #2
SCOTI

If I'm not mistaken, the only changes to the exterior sheetmetal (roof & rear 1/4's) was the rear pillar from where the 1/4 panel meets the roof. It's easily detectable because pre-75's have the pillars & rear windshield stop @ about the trunk line. On 75 & later models, the rear windshield/glass actually rolls farther down into the pillar area. Other than possible minor trim differences, parts can interchange.... notice I didn't say 'parts easily interchange' .

I know of a couple of guys that used early (pre-73) camaro bodies & swapped to later (80-81 style) front clips & tailights. The tailights required replacing the entire taillight panel thats under the actual lenses. They also used the later model interior stuff as well (headliner, dash, door panels).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 01:53 AM   #3
beautimus

actually, the t-tops started in 75 or 76, they were the "hurst hatch" models. the hurst hatch is slightly smaller than a regular t-top. the models to look for are the 76-78 special edition cars with the trans am lettering in roman letters, gold tinted dash and steering wheel and hurst hatch t-tops. that is the special edition trans am. in 77 or 78 models look for the optional am-fm cb radio in the dash and 8-track player in the console.
hope that helps
Old 03-21-2004, 11:57 PM   #4
gohogs216

thanks

thanks, guys...much appreciated.

gohogs216
gohogs216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:06 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Actually, the generation 1 would be before 70, and 70 - 81 would be 2nd gen. The front end parts would bolt up from 70 - 81, but I am not 100% sure on body lines and if it would look right.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote