The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2004, 12:00 AM   #1
ScottH

HELP - wiring problem

Can anyone tell me the correct way to wire the starter in a 72 V8 C20? The PO really screwed up the wiring by splicing into the stock harness. Tonight I tried to install a f--d remote starter solenoid to correct a hard starting problem and now it won't start. Looks like no spark. I hooked up the wiring according to directions found on this site.

The other thing is PO installed an HEI. No problem here except he used the yellow dist. wire for the HEI connection. Worked fine, but thought I'd run a heavier wire directly to fuse box.

PO ran his own wires to starter, S wire gets spliced into purple wire which looks like connects to neutral safety switch. Other small terminal on starter connected to pink wire which looks like originally was running into fuse box.

If anyone can tell me how to run the starter wires directly (not using harness wires) I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Also, where is the best place to hookup the HEI, and should it have power when cranking?

THANKS!!!!!
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:10 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The yellow wire run to your HEI was probably owner installed. If it was the stock yellow wire, your truck wouldn't run.
There are a couple ways to wire the HEI, but the practice that is most popular on this board is to run a wire from your IGN UNFUSED terminal on the fuse box out to the dist.
How ever you wire it, it needs to have full system power both in run, and crank positions.
Your starter only needs that purple wire on the S terminal since you have HEI. If you still had points, then the yellow wire (which was probably removed and re-used for the HEI) would go on the R terminal and go up to the old coil.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:38 AM   #3
ScottH

Thanks for the info. I agree with what u said, I did run the new HEI wire to the fuse box IGN UNFUSED, but no power when cranking. Also I realize that ordinarily with the HEI no wire is needed on the R terminal, but this one still had it, and it was rewired by PO. The question is do I still need it?

As far as the yellow wire goes, it does appear to be the original coil wire. Of course I could be mistaken, but it does lead into the wiring harness and looks original.

Can anyone tell me how the starter wires should be run from the ignition switch, neutral safety, etc?

HELP!
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:29 AM   #4
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Here is a link to the wiring diagrams for your truck.

Jim

http://www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070/wiringdias.html
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote