The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2004, 12:25 AM   #1
chevydog66
GM ONLY BABY!!!

??? about fuel filler neck grommet

Is there a trick to removing and reinstalling the fuel filler neck rubber grommet for a cab mounted tank on a 72 GMC? I need to remove my fuel tank and clean it out. I plan on purchasing a new filler neck grommet before I attempt the job. I was just wanting to get a few tips to make the job easier. Also, what should I use to clean out the inside of the gas tank? I've heard that Dawn dish detergent works good. Thanks guys!!!

66 Chevelle Malibu 406ci, 573hp, 10.99@121mph
96 Chevy Silverado Z71
72 GMC 1500 Super Custom LS 6.0/4L65 on airride

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/707879...mc-c-k-pick-up
chevydog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:35 AM   #2
woodyjeff

Just cut the old grommet off, if it was like mine you shouldn't have to cut all the way threw since it is old and will break away. Then after you reinstall the tank use some KY jelly, you know the stuff from the drug store, and lube up the grommet and the filler neck. After that it should go on real easy, the KY is water based so it will rinse away real easy with water after you get it done. Also you can have some fun with the KY, after I bought mine I came home and showed it to the wife just to mess with her. She kept asking me what I thought I was going to use that for.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:28 AM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

For God's sake, buy your grommet at the GM dealer. They are MUCH more supple than the aftermarket ones and install much easier.

I had to repaint the cab on my orange truck because of a hard to install aftermarket grommet. The GM one was so soft if popped right in. That hard aftermarket one wound up costing me a bunch of time and money for supplies repainting the truck.