The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2004, 11:44 PM   #1
ScottH

Another hard starting problem, AFTER remote solenoid installed

Ok, I have a 72 C20 with a 402 with headers in it. Ever since I bought it (6 months ago) it won't start once it gets hot. So in talking to other members and reading similar posts, I decide to go the remote solenoid route. I installed that last weekend and finished up today cleaning up some of the wiring mess PO left.

Anyway once the truck got hot, same problem. I know the timing is not right. If I put a light on it and attempt to time it, the mark is way off in order for it to run. It runs fine being advanced so far, but I'm wondering if this could affect the starting when hot. Or should I try replacing the starter?

Any info or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 11:54 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I'd say I would try a new starter. that is still the common variable. My old BB Pontiac use to eat starters from the heat, not just the solenoids. Heat has probably taken it's tole on the starter already. If you haven't, I'd make a heat shield for the starter.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 12:02 AM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I have to agree with Bill, even though the solinoid is the weak link on the starter, the motor can be damaged from the heat just as easily.
Stay away from NAPA starters, this is one of the few items they have that is garbage.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 12:45 AM   #4
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

A solinoid is only an electomagnetic switch, that energizes the the positive wire to the starter motor and throws the bendix drive into the flywheel, your problem sounds more like brushes or windings in the starter motor breaking down from heat.
A ford can use a remote solinoid because the drive is engaged by the torque or the starter spinning.
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 01:56 AM   #5
GSFMECH
On the road

You are right sneakysnake, that's what it sounds like to me too. You also have to remember that putting a remote solenoid won't help it if the solenoid on the starter is indeed bad. You still have to energize the solenoid on the GM starter for it to start, so you have not really helped the problem by using a remote solenoid if you think about it. They are handy to have though if you want a place to bump the starter for setting valve lash and such. Auto-zone starters are crap too but they come with a nice heat shield for the solenoid. Sounds like your harmonic balancer ring has slipped, you probably should check for true top dead center and if it has, change out that balancer pronto before it comes completly undone.
Mike
GSFMECH is offline   Reply With Quote