The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2004, 01:09 PM   #1
68speedalert
Semi-Senior Member

For those stuck with a poly tank

Just got done checking my tank. This is in my son's truck, owned the tank for about a year. We bought at a swap meet. At the time I idn't realize they made a steel tank. Have had no problems because the truck sat inside since we installed it. Had to remove it to put on the bed. After reading post about tanks leaking I decided to check ours REAL GOOD before putting it in.

I blocked all the outlets except one, sprayed a soap solution around the sending unit and gently blew compressed ait into the one open outlet. Guess what, it leaked at the gasket AND where the fuel outlet pipe goes thru the middle of the s/u.

By acid-core soldering the pipe, replacing the seal with the origional one from old tank, bending the ears on the metal locking ring, many trial and errors, I got it to seal tight.

Hope this helps any of you other poor slugs. I assume that we have no recourse for junk like this against the manufacturer.

Time will tell if it holds.

Steve
'95 GMC K1500 Extended cab
68speedalert is offline   Reply With Quote