The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2004, 02:46 PM   #1
ChadM89

84 K10 Project just starting

Hey fellas. This is my first post here... just found this board. Glad I did, as it seems to be a good place for info.

Here's my deal: I recently bought a 1984 K10 Silverado shortbed with a 5.7L and automatic transmission. I replaced every single piece of smog equipment, replaced all 4 brakes and did a full tune-up on the motor. It runs really well, but it's ugly as sin. It was brown from the factory, first of all. Not the best color. But that doesn't even matter, because the condition of the paint means that it would need to be repainted anyway. It's very damaged. The body isn't, though. The truck is very straight, without any dents except dings inside the bed. But the body is starting to rust (just the surface) and I'm going to have to take at least half of the body to bare metal to prep for paint. A lot of work on these big ol' trucks.

I'm changing the color from the original brown to probably a midnight blue color, or possibly black. I'm also changing the tan interior to gray. The biggest obstacle to changing the interior color are these plastic trim pieces that are all inside the cab. They're big ones, covering large amounts of space from the headliner down and wrapping around the sides and rear of the cab. I can't find replacements for this trim ANYWHERE. And I don't know if I could paint them or not because of the type of plastic they are. If you guy shave any info on these pieces, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also looking to replace the grille. I found one at JC Whitney but I'm not sure it's quite what I'm looking for. If you have any links to places I might find a cool new grille for my truck, I'd appreciate that, too.

Other work I plan to do to the truck besides painting and the interior include replacing the exhaust (switching from the stock single to a dual), shaving the drip guards, installing power windows, power door locks and an alarm, new wheels and tires, a herculiner bedliner, new shocks and a tailgate net (no tailgate now). I'm sure there's some other things I'll end up doing that I just can't think of right now. I'll get some pics up soon.

Take care guys.

- Chad
ChadM89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

Welcome.

Everyone is going to ask for pics.

Where are you located?

I have access to a full interior in blue out of an 84....

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 03:14 PM   #3
ChadM89

Well, I was thinking about blue for the exterior so if it's a close match that might work out great for me.

I'm in Stockton, California - in the central valley. I'll get some pics up soon but they'll just be "before" pics, as I haven't started any of the cosmetic work yet (and won't for about 6 weeks yet). I'm just trying to wrangle parts and all that kind of stuff. I like to have everything in place before I even start working.

What sort of blue are the pieces you have? I need dark blue pieces if I can't find gray ones, since the blue I'm going to use on the outside will be dark. Do you have the seat? What kind of condition is it in? What about the dash?
Old 04-01-2004, 03:31 PM   #4
8t5Silverado
Mudslides 'r my specialty

I have found a blue parts truck that I may get some fenders and stuff off of. The interior pieces are not dark blue.

Shipping this stuff to CA would not be advantageous.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/500339
8t5Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 03:45 PM   #5
ChadM89

Hmm, you're probably right. Thanks anyway though, I appreiate the help.

I'll probably just end up painting the pieces I have. I could use an adhesion promotor if I have a hard time getting the paint to stick. Or I could cover them in fabric. Or just take them out and not use them, covering the cab in fabric or carpet instead. I'll make it work one way or another. : )

Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:16 PM   #6
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I tried the covering trick. The material made everything too thick. I had good success dying the interior plastic. I used an adhesion promoter and SEM vinyl dye on my last project. Make shre the parts are good and clean, and it will work very well. If you are handy with a spray gun, go to your local paint jobber and have some vinyl dye custom mixed. I used DuPont products on my El Camino, and it was extremely durable. I would suggest using semi-gloss if you go that route. Gloss on interior parts looks like kaka to me. Sounds like you have a pretty neat project going.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:54 PM   #7
ChadM89

Thanks for the info.

I just found replacement parts for that trim at ChevyDuty and it says they need to be painted to match the color of the vehicle, so I'm assuming that you can just spray an auto paint directly onto them and they'll be fine. I'll probably just scuff mine up a little with some 800 grit or something and shoot new paint onto them at the same time I paint the truck.

I agree that interior parts shouldn't have gloss, except for the lower dash portions like the glovebox area. I'll need to repaint those pieces, too, because they're brown right now.

I'm excited about the project. If everything goes as I plan, the truck should be pretty nice when I'm done. I'll probably keep it for a little while to enjoy it after putting so much work into it, then later sell it and get a 2WD to fix up.

Thanks again for the info. : )
Old 04-01-2004, 05:38 PM   #8
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

paint it flat black, lift it 4" and run 38.5" tires!
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:39 PM   #9
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

oh yeah, hack the fenders too...
Old 04-02-2004, 02:37 AM   #10
chevychic

Welcome to the board! Sounds like you got a great project and you've come to the right place to get leads on just about anything you could want for your truck

As for grills, Stull makes good ones. It just depends on what you want. I like the 17 bar billet grills the best. Phantoms look great on lowered trucks, while the kind I have looks best on lifted trucks IMO. I ordered mine from a local shop and paid about the same as I would have if I had purchased it online and paid for shipping. About $135.
Here's a before and after pic on my truck

Before:

After:

I picked up a set of interior trim from a local pick and pull yard for $5. It was blue, but I was going to gray. I lightly sanded them and gave them about 3 light coats and a final coat of clear. They look great. I haven't install them yet, but I've also painted my bezel grey and haven't had any problems with it since I installed it about 8 months ago.

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a horrible warning.

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think"
- Christopher Robin

Last edited by chevychic; 04-02-2004 at 02:39 AM.
chevychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 02:41 AM   #11
apstguy
LED King

I have a Trenz billet grille and love it. If they made a solid billet for these trucks I would jump on it, but they don't. I wish you luck on your big project ahead.

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 11:42 AM   #12
ChadM89

Thank you for the welcome and the info, Chevychic.

That grille is exactly what I'm lookin for. I'll check with some of my local shops to see if they carry those or not. I know there's going to be some stuff I'll have to order online but whenever possible I like to buy things in the store. I might have to pay tax on it but at least I don't have to pay shipping... and of course, don't have to wait for it to get to me! That's always what I hate the most, heh.

Anyway, your truck looks great! You're still working on the interior? Glad to hear about your success in painting the plastic trim pieces... makes me feel more confident that I can do the same and it'll turn out well. Good luck on your continuing project, and thanks again.

Apstguy, thank you too for the info. I'll check out Trenz and see if they have what I'm looking for. Take care.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:11 PM   #13
ChadM89

Oh and, before I forget, does anyone know of a place that gives a good deal and tires and wheels? I'm looking for a package deal if I can find a good price. I'm thinking 31 or 32 inch tires and 15 or 16 inch rims.

I bought a set of 31's on chrome 15-in rims once before, about a year ago I guess, and it ended up costing me just shy of a grand after caps and lugs and everything. I put them on the truck, truck got stolen a couple months later, then turned up in a field, minus the new wheels. I only had minimum insurance on the truck so basically it was like having a thousand bucks stolen from my wallet. At least I got the truck back. I had figured it was chopped up and the parts were spread across six counties by the time they found it.

Anyway, if you know of any good links for that kind of thing, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again,

- Chad
Old 04-02-2004, 06:19 PM   #14
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

www.4wheelparts.com i would hesitate to buy 31" tires for a fullsize rig. IMO they would look too small, as they are not much bigger than the 235 75 15s that came on it stock. we have 2wd guys here, who are running 32 x 11.50s on stock 2wd trucks. you can fit 33 12.50s no problem on a stock 4wd truck.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:23 PM   #15
ChadM89

Er, I put 31 but I meant 33. Sorry about that. Yes, the 31's would look a little small on my truck, especially since it's a 4x4 and has been lifted a couple inches.

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out.

- Chad
Old 04-02-2004, 07:28 PM   #16
ChadM89

I checked that site out. There's a lot of good parts for 4x4's but the wheels are a bit pricey.

Check this link out:

http://www.desertrat.com/mudder/mega_mudder.htm

Now that's a deal on a wheel/tire package.

This is probably what I'll end up going with, unless I can find an even better deal. Haven't found one so far.