The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-05-2004, 06:49 PM   #1
c5blazer

5.7L Vortec in a C5 Blazer?

Hello! Well I have been visiting this site for a few weeks now and have yet to post anything, so here I go. I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a lil project that I have on the go at the moment. I am trying to put a 5.7L Vortec engine into a 1970 C5 Blazer and have run into numerous problem so far. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for me. Feel free to email me. tlewis66@hotmail.com
c5blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 07:07 PM   #2
1970blazin
Blazerless:-(

Welcome to the board!!! Pics of your blazer??? We love pics!!! Good luck on the engine project! I am no help with the question, but WELCOME!!!
Diane

1970 CST Blazer-Orig. Dark Blue-SOLD

Progress Pics of Blazer for sale
1970blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 08:05 PM   #3
71swb4x4

Welcome!!

What kind of problems are you having?
Old 04-05-2004, 08:38 PM   #4
c5blazer

Well the manifolds on the 5.7L ride on the engine cradle. So when replaced with the orginal 68-70 manifold I have no place for the EGR tube. Another problem is the hole in the gas tank is too small for the fuel pump for that engine. Would I do better to change the intake manifold to a carb then use the computer?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:05 PM   #5
blazerholic
I am a Gov't Mule

Talking

Welcome to our mutual addiction! Not much help here either, but could you swap the tank out of a Tahoe or Yukon? Might be able to find some shorty headers with the egr tube in 'em. Just some random thoughts. I'm full of those

Brad
Old 04-05-2004, 11:02 PM   #6
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Welcome from Winnipeg.

Technically there is no such thing as a C5, the 2wd are still called k5's for what ever reason.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:48 PM   #7
71swb4x4

Have you tried manifolds from a different vehicle? I think that most trucks and cars from the early 80's and up had the EGR tubes didn't they?
You could always run an external tank for your system. I am planning on doing a fuel cell, but am still working on convincing the wife that I can shell the money for that. FuelCellGuy makes tanks that fit, and he can have them set up with internal pumps too.

Shawn
Old 04-06-2004, 12:35 AM   #8
bpmcgee

A couple of things:

1) The engine will be emission tested based upon the year of the vehicle, not the engine. 1970 Blazers didn't have EGR valves, so you can safely just close off the port in the intake.

2) The simplest way to handle the fuel pump is to get an external pump like Holley uses for their add-on injection systems. Just figure out what pressure you're going to need, and size the pump accordingly.

3) Remember that the original carb had much lower pressure demands from the fuel line, and the line wasn't even pressurized between the engine bay and the tank. You may find that you'll need to replace the lines, and possibly go with a larger size to get the pressure you'll need at the injector.

I've got what amounts to a 5.7 Vortec in my '71 Blazer. I built it from scratch, though, with aftermarket Vortec heads, a roller cam, and full roller rockers. My intake is an Edelbrock Performer Vortec -- dual plane Vortec intake with no EGR port, and a port for a 4 barrel TBI or carb.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 07:52 AM   #9
c5blazer

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:05 AM   #10
c5blazer

I tried mid 90's manifolds , but they won't fit because of the engine mounts,so I may try closing off the EGR tube. AS for saying c5, I know theres no such thing , but C is for two wheel ,K is for four wheel by all the manuels.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:08 PM   #11
ljbear

There are a couple of options that you can try. I'm doing a Vortec in a 71K10 and these ieas came from Howell Fuel Injection. They recommend using all the factory sensors in the swap. You can get a set of the GM ramshorn manifolds with the large dump and have the fitting nickel welded into the manifold. Second option is a set of headers. Have the fitting welded in, then have the headers coated or painted as you like. I'm using a set of chevelle shoty headers and welding in the fitting. After that I'm sending them in to get coated. Also, Howell has the correct fuel pump that you need along with a harness for the computer.

72 Chevy SWB 4x4
71 Chevy SWB 4x4

My Work Truck

"Don't confuse enthusiasm with capability"
ljbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 03:37 PM   #12
meathead95
computer illiterate

do you have a web site for howel fuel injection?
Old 04-07-2004, 03:47 PM   #13
ljbear

Howell

Here ya go, Howell

72 Chevy SWB 4x4
71 Chevy SWB 4x4

My Work Truck

"Don't confuse enthusiasm with capability"
ljbear is offline   Reply With Quote