The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2004, 12:24 AM   #1
69 Short Fleet

Thumbs down Is It Just Me or ..............

AM I ALL ALONE??? Man I'm about to have kittens right now, first time in a long time I get a chance to work on my truck. Go to install my floor carpet (bought brand new last summer did a quick test fit seemed ok at the time). This morning I double check everything for fittment first before cutting the shifter location and what the heck??? the carpet is about 1" too short on both kick panels just below the air vents (OK everywhere else) and then I thought, well the carpet is being suspended by the top of the tranny housing (4 Speed) by approx. 1" - 1 1/2" and not laying flat on the hump like it is supposed to so that "logically" if I cut a "X" through the carpet directly over the shifter location and push the carpet flat it should extend nicely over to the kickpanels NOT!!! Did'nt make any difference at all (I contacted the vendor and I don't know how this will unfold). Could of I got a "LOW HUMP" carpet sent to me in error? or is there a huge difference between the two? I also have a sound deadener kit below the carpet the white foam type with the bituman tar sheeting above that. I feel that I'll probably have to eat this one and I think deserve to (measure twice, cut once, and its been 10 months since I bought it). Then I go to realign my hood.... after 3 hours of tweaking (yes I read the threads on panel placement and they are exellent by the way, sorry I forgot the member's name who posted them) at least one of my fenders is out at the front! (This is beond my skill, I'll have to get a pro to do it) Then to top off the day I look down on the ground by the rear bumper and see this shinny rectangle (stainless steel) and then look at my "Delux Side Marker" and the flipping trim FELL OFF not just one but one on the front also!!! (brand new repo's, LOL) I feel like Tom Petty once wrote "LET ME UP I'VE HAD ENOUGH" Hope your day was BETTER, Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:28 AM   #2
dinnut

ouch! sounds like youve better days than today!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:32 AM   #3
Spoof

Sounds as if your having a similarly infuriating time trying to get quality reproduction parts that actually fit. I think back to how naive I once was when I thought parts I purchased would actually fit or resemble the original piece in some fashion.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:14 AM   #4
Warbones
Navel Inspector

I could only imagine what's in store for us all. I couldn't even do something as simple as remove my door panels(stripped screws) let alone door mirrors(no muscle). I was able to remove a couple of guages and paint the glove box door as well as remove the stripped screws there. So it comes and goes I guess.

1967 CST C10 Long Bed with a 283
Warbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:03 AM   #5
Blue Beard

Can relate.....bought a Radiator support, tried to install only to find the blind nuts were on the wrong side when manufactured...
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:08 AM   #6
Dean

I can relate. I have a pile of reproduction parts on my shop floor that I refuse to put on my latest K20 project. I always wonder why they can't spend an extra 15 minutes on these repo parts and get them perfect instead of just close. Agghhhhhh

Corvette repo parts are leaps and bounds above our truck parts but they have all of the judging meets that forces the issue...
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:09 PM   #7
65StreetCruiser
It Is What It Is

I agree on the repro parts. They're just not made well. It's a shame to think that 10 to 15 years ago you could still buy parts for these trucks from GM. My brother had a 65 that he bought all the side trim and sill plates from GM, came in the original packaging, and paid less than repro prices. If we had only known.
Kevin
68 Camaro convertible
www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
65StreetCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:31 PM   #8
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Looking at the above replies, you are certainly not alone! In answer to your question, yes, there is quite a difference between low- or high- hump, so you may have received the wrong part. I discovered this when replacing my rubber floor mat several years back. Good luck - have a cold one & relax a bit. You'll have better days.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:57 PM   #9
69 Short Fleet

Thanks for the replies, I'm going under the hood next (have to build a throttle linkage) so I won't be near a repo part (LOL). My mom came over and saw the 2 shiny wrecktangle side marker trim pieces in my hand and she said, oooooooooooh those would make nice earings!!! L M A O, later Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote