The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2004, 07:44 AM   #1
Brently

71 swb posi rear end problems

i have a popping in the rear end when i slow down and turn - one explained it like i was hopping over a brick - a hard pop but only happens when i slow way down to turn - i have been on here before and it was suggested to change the fluid in the rear end before doing anything else - my questions now are what type of exact fluid do i need to use - is there anything that needs to be added because it is a posi rear end? also how do i identify the exact gear ratio of a rear end - i am rear end ignorant - thanks, Brent
Brently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:24 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

Posi's will make noise sometimes and it is more or less normal.

There are a couple of ways to go on the lube. You can change the lube out and fill with regular 90 wt. gear lube. Additives are available, either GM or aftermarket and it should be added.

The other way is to buy gear lube with the additive in it.

If you change the lube, you can check the ratio out as it will be stamped on the ring gear, (You will have to pull the cover to change the lube).

Another possibility is to check the present lube and if nice and clean, just add the additive.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:22 AM   #3
smitty62

After you change fluid and add the additive, go to an empty parking lot and make several small circles clockwise and then the same counter-clockwise. It works!

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:23 AM   #4
HuggerCST

The posi-additive will more than likely fix the popping sound. To determine what gear ratio you have, divide the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the pinion gear. These numbers are usually stamped on the ring gear.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:51 PM   #5
Brently

rear end

can this fluid and additive be found at a parts store? - also i am guessing it is a posi - again not real familiar with rear ends but the glove box calls for a posi and the truck is original so i don't think it has been changed - how to tell? thanks, Brent
Old 04-08-2004, 01:06 PM   #6
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

It sounds like you have a possi to me. If you want to check it, just jack the rear end up and spin one wheel. If they both turn in the same direction, then you have a possi. The additive can be purchased at any parts store also. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 01:58 PM   #7
HuggerCST

Wes is right, with a good posi, both wheels should turn the same direction, (trans in neutral) but keep in mind that if the clutches are worn out, and you turn one wheel, the other wheel may not turn. If you have a single trac, the other wheel will definately turn in the opposite direction. But, if yours is popping, your clutches are probably good.(Unless something is broken)
I think I just confused myself.
You can get posi additive at NAPA, part #SL-2411. Made by Siloo.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 02:38 PM   #8
Sweet72

Man, I installed all new clutches when mine was popping in low speed turns. I tried changing gear oil w/additive, no joy. The new clutches and oil cured the problem though.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 02:42 PM   #9
Brently

rear end

if i have to do so i may be calling on you for help - is this something i can do myself or will i have to have it done if need be? how expensive to do myself if i can and how expensive if someone else does it? Thanks, Brent
Old 04-08-2004, 10:10 PM   #10
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

As WES suggested check out the rear end to make sure it is a posi, if it is, change the fluid and add the additive.

If the clutches are worn, they are available. I would suggest buying a service manual as it will be very helpful.

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote