The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2004, 09:03 PM   #1
MidnightBlues

Question 700r4

After a very long time I'm driving the truck again.Breaking in the new engine.The Peugeot finally succeeded in it's suicide atempts,lost 2 (out of 4) cylinders,drives like an East German car now.

Anyway, some q's about the (overhauled) tranny.

1) Is it normal that it won't shift into the next gear unless the rpm is 2400?

2) I read something about "engine breaking".
When I let go of the throttle,the engine will idle immediately.No engine braking at
all.

3) 1-2 shift is quite harsh even when I drive as slow as possible,the other shifts are
smooth

What do you guys think.The TV cable is adjusted correct.
I drove a few chevy's with L60 trannys,and that was a totally different experience.

TIA,
Old 04-09-2004, 11:35 PM   #2
Opper77
Ob-Gyn Kenobi

As far as I know, you have to shift the tranny into 3, 2, or 1 for engine braking to occur.. In D it will idle down as it should normally. Shifting into a gear "locks" the gear in.

Also, do you have a shift kit installed in the tranny? That might explain the shift point.. Also, if you really have your foot into it, it'll shift at a higher RPM than if you're just accelerating gradually..

My old 700r4 1-2 shift has harsher than the rest also.. I always assumed it was just due to the very low first gear in a 700r4 tranny....

Anyone else? Now I'm curious.

I used to have a firm handle on life....then it broke off.
Opper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:39 PM   #3
ChadM89

My '84 K10 has the 700 tranny in it and it shifts real nice. If I'm being mellow on the gas, I hardly notice the shifts at all. If I have my foot into it, I notice the higher RPM shift point but it's never clunky or jerky when it shifts.
ChadM89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:21 AM   #4
MidnightBlues

Well, I guess my problems are solved:

Today I lost 1st, 3d (and probably 4th gear).
Back to the shop.

But I still have warranty

Will be continued.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:54 AM   #5
TwinTurbo

Well that blows about your tranny, care to share what shop did the work? I may put them on my "avoid like the plague" list for companies dealing with US vehicles here in the Netherlands

Got any pics of your 84?

Marck

Last edited by TwinTurbo; 04-14-2004 at 11:58 AM.
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:23 AM   #6
MidnightBlues

Marck,

The company is: Transmissieservice Holland in Veenendaal.

But I'm prepared to give them one last chance. I'm gonna bring the truck there tomorrow,and have a serious talk with them.

By the way, I would like to see that list of yours. I think I can add a few.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:39 AM   #7
TwinTurbo

What year is your 700? the pre 87 ones are really weak, much weaker than the later ones. However, they can be seriously upgraded with new clutch packs that hold more discs, new sprags...and so on. The swap is not that hard if you get yourself the ATSG manual, the noyoyo kit and the video. If you have a large clean space to lay out all the parts you should be able to do it yourself.

My list mainly consists of corvette related businesses here and the lsit is so long I only go to one guy here, he's the only one I trust. About 90% of my stuff I get directly from the US, I do my ownj importing. More of a hassle but I don't want to deal with these scumbags here.

There's also some companies that are not necessarily bad but they make you bend over and drop your drawers. Their prices are way too high.

There's a tranny guy here in the east where I live, it's called Ganzeboom Transmissies and he's in Almelo. A guy I know works there and he says they do good work. I haven't tried them since i never farm out my work, I only buy parts.

Avoid like plague:

AJ Corvette clinic (he wanted to charge me 380 euros for a set of clevite main & rod bearings!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Pieter de Groot (he's now located somewhere in the boonies up near Delfzijl)

CP = expensive and you have to wait for ages...they just forget about you if they don't have it in stock. I once waited 3 months for a part, then called..oh sorry..it's on backorder. It will be here with the next shipment. When is that? OH, next month... WTF???
Same for Miko.

There's very few competitive shops left here, the one i visited locally closed his doors just last week. There was not enough money in it anymore, he had a lot of business but somehow it was not enough. (Pro AutoParts Hengelo)
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 12:36 AM   #8
86k10

I usually don't like to disagree with anyone but you happen to be in a field that I know more than a little something about. Anyway I would like to disagree with saying the older ones are weaker than the newer ones. The only ones were the original 82's that really had problems, but I have taken quite a few and resurected them to operating condition in there original state and work just fine. From my experience in the last 20 years of working with them, all the ones that have came into my shop 10 of 10 were heat related failures. Nothing in the line of mechanical failures from all years so that's my 2 cents about it. As far as shift kits, I am not to impressed with any of them, I just do a few adjustments of my own and they seem to work good. If my 455 can't tear mine up, I don't think any wimpy little small block can. I may have to fly over there and reman yours for you Oh if it's got warranty make em fix it. By the way what year is yours?
86 GMC 5.0
77 Olds 98 6.6

REAL AMERICANS, DRIVE AMERICAN
86k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 08:32 AM   #9
MidnightBlues

Well, I had my serious talk with the tranny guys and convinced them that the tranny sucked from the beginning.They're gonna rebuilt it for free.
The shop there was filled with us cars so I may assume that they have some knowledge about these trannys.My mechanic friend who ownes a classic us cars shop did a lot work on my truck, never had a bad experience with them in some 8 years.
We'll see.The tranny should be finished by the end of the week.

I don't know what year the tranny is.I bought it from the local wreckyard.They said it was 87 or 88.It's originally not from a chevy truck,I had to manufacture an alternative rear tranny mount.The tailpiece is different. It looks more like a corvette or olds or buick tailpiece.

86K10, you're welcome to fly overhere and help me to modify the tranny .We got some nice bars overhere

Marck,I had very good experiences with C&P.Yes they are a bit expensive but their service was quite good so far.
Pics of my truck are on the first or second page of the thread about all the members truckpics.These are old pics,but as soon as i'm finished with the last upgrades of my truck I will post some new pics.

Greetz
Old 04-26-2004, 12:50 AM   #10
86k10

Hey sorry for not checking back for so long, anyway yeh it would be a cool to fly over there, however it would be an expensive trip cause I would hate to travel without my tools and and a few spare pieces. And don't worry, there are just as many shops in this country that aren't very good at working with them either, they just think they are. But probably the most important thing is to have the tv cable adjusted properly, that can do one in before anything else. Let me know if they get it working properly just to satisfy my curiosity.
86 GMC 5.0
77 Olds 98 6.6

REAL AMERICANS, DRIVE AMERICAN
86k10 is offline   Reply With Quote