The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2002, 01:12 AM   #26
mikep
Used to have a truck

OK, I took her to the prom but I got lucky damnit! Besides that it wasnt my mom it was my sister and wer'e getting married someday.

Those things just drive me nuts. I usually hear them under the hood of a 72 maverick or a hot rod gremlin with extended spring shackles. I mean theyve got their place but they offer no real benefit on the street. I cant say that I have known anyone who has driven them on the street for more than a few months and I have know quite a few guys who have run them and it was never for very long. They all end up at swap meets.

Thats just my opinion. Sorry if I'm too harsh. Theres just no branches on my family tree to speak of and it shows...

Last edited by mikep; 12-18-2002 at 01:24 AM.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 01:34 AM   #27
68 with 350 TPI

I like the 2x idler gear style like the pete style gear drives.
Those are made very well.
They hold perfect timming and they dont tend to move much over a long time.

They are really not overly loud if you have a loud exhaust with some flowmasters like I have.

The other style with the single side like the ones milodon make always seem to have problems with sidle loading and binding.

Gear drives are not made to be used much over 7,000 RPM and there a belt drive would work better.

But gear drives do have a place and to me it lets people know that the motor has at least be worked on enough to worry about cam timming.

They sound neat and its a personal thing just like which do you like flowmasters or glasspacks.

I happen to like them on street machines and the like.

If you ever heard my 6-71 in my camaro and the gear drive singing together I would bet you would like it too

100$ is not really a lot of money and you can re-use the gear drives on other motors if you wanted to.
They hardly ever wear out.

I would get a cloyes quick button timming cover to go with it so that cam advance/retard is much more easy and there is no need to remove the balancer to adjust the cam timming.
Old 12-18-2002, 02:26 AM   #28
Hooter
My other Love

Heck Im putting the gear drive in my Monte. I think they sound sweet. Plus I dont feel like changing timing chains. I want people to know that my car has a motor in it. I m used to the whining sound my 81 f150 whines really loud. If a noise bothers me, I turn up the stereo

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 04:23 AM   #29
Ed ke6bnl

Quote:
Originally posted by 71Seth
I have heard rumors that they could send vibrations though the engine and do damage, but how could this be when gears run so much smoother. I think there just saying that because they dont have one. Rock on Noisy Pete.
When I spoke with the salesmen at Edelbrock Route 66 event they told me they are nothing but trouble and would do internal damage and they were there to sell there stuff. I gues it is a non issue since I will be going to a zz4 or the zz4 fast burn not for use on roller cam engine I read. Ed ke6bnl@juno.com
70 Chevy short bed
1948 F3 ford pu
1949 F1 stock V8 flathead 3 on floor
1950 F1 pu street rod
1948 F6 Ford Dually/350sbc no bed stock trans&rear
1972 El Camino 4" chop
1953 Chevy 3100 2b daily driver
1970 SB 4X4 400ci 6in lift
Ed ke6bnl is offline   Reply With Quote