The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2007, 10:45 PM   #26
Tomsriv

Re: haeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnok1 View Post
I run a set of Hooker 2452 headers. Had to do some clearancing for clutch and at least one plug...what else is new. They haven't leaked even once in 5+ years, best headers I've ever had.
What was involved in the clearanceing and the plug? I have rams-horns and an auto, but I want to switch to a manual and headers. According to the headers I have seen, they don't fit manual trans 60-66 chevies.
Tomsriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:37 PM   #27
rickf

fwiw, Inmy 64 I have a 350 out of a 71 GMC C20, and the long tube headers that were on it in the GMC. They barely clear the frame at the collector, by maybe a 1/2 inch, but they clear. I had to cut one of the prongs off the clutch bell crank and move it closer to the block. It operates at a somewhat precarious angle now, but it operates.

From what I have read on the forum about headers, I'd rather have ramshorns. My 350 is basically stock, and I am understanding that tube headers offer nothing but looks at this engine level.

The tube headers were put on the GMC because the stock cast iron header was cracked, found during a valve job, heads off. The tube headers were cheaper than replacement cast iron (so I was told). Brand of headers is unknown, but probably came from Napa in Roseburg OR. Plug access is okay, pretty tight on all for a socket and a couple only have open end wrench access. Plug cap boots clear by about 1/8 inch.

Now I'm longing for rams horns and a stock bell crank.
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:25 AM   #28
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris's66lwb View Post
you didnt have to notch the frame to get them in
No, the headers do not have a clearance issue with the frame, motor mounts or crossmember but I did have to dimple one tube to clear the stock clutch linkage (bell crank specificially). The worst part is that the routing of plug wires is tricky and the adjuster for the clutch snakes though the header.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:28 AM   #29
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsriv View Post
What was involved in the clearanceing and the plug? I have rams-horns and an auto, but I want to switch to a manual and headers. According to the headers I have seen, they don't fit manual trans 60-66 chevies.
I think what you will find is that they do in fact work with manual transmissions but not with column shifted manual transmissions.
YMMV
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 PM   #30
shortbed70

I have blockhuggers now but am looking at getting the mid length.

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote