The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #26
ChaseDale3and8

Re: A Truck That I Have My Eye On

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecop View Post
He must have changed rear view mirror, I thought the ones glued to the windshield were 72's.
That's what I always thought too. Could be a late 71 maybe??? ...Joe
Old 11-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #27
72Levi

Did you ever look inside the glovebox door and look for the SPID label? Is it a REAL Cheyenne Super 4x4 SWB, 115 wheel base? if so, it may be worth atleast $2k depending on the amount of rust.
2008 Buick Enclave AWD, Nav, & DVD, Wife LOVES it!
72Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #28
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Levi View Post
Did you ever look inside the glovebox door and look for the SPID label? Is it a REAL Cheyenne Super 4x4 SWB, 115 wheel base? if so, it may be worth atleast $2k depending on the amount of rust.
Don't know. It was locked when I looked at it so I didn't have access to the glovebox to find out much other than what you see in the pics. ...Joe
Old 11-22-2007, 09:28 AM   #29
jfalesi

It has '72 door panels which don't fit on a '71 without minor mods. Given that and the mirror location, I'l challenge him on the year. Act suspicious and insinuate that the truck is worth less because he's lying or doesn't know about the year (although I don't know why he would...) The VIN will tell you for sure what year it is. Check the oil and transmission fluid, give the underside a good look, pull up the rug and look at the floor if you can. Use the magnet test on the rocker panels and cab corners for sure. DEFINITELY ask him to start it and at least take you on an test drive if not let you drive it. Since he "doesn't know" about the transfer case, etc. he may not really know what he has. He may be bluffing about the "many offers" he's gotten. Why hasn't he sold it yet? Do yourself a favor and lowball him, then tell him to call you if he changes his mind. I've paid too much for cars and houses and will definitely take this approach next time, no matter how much I want it. If he won't budge on the price, then you're not interested. There will always be another one, and it's not worth overpaying even if you really want it, especially if your wife/significant other gives you a hard time about it. Remember, HE called YOU so you have the upper hand (just like with women )

My 2cents...
jfalesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #30
jfalesi

Also be suspicious of the "slow leak" in the AC. This is a used-car-salesman line. At least in NJ, repair shops aren't allowed to recharge leaky R-12 systems, no matter how small the leak. Plus, R-12 is very expensive. Assume you have to replace the whole system, which would cost around $2500 (assuming you have a shop do it all). Insist on seeing the SPID plate and take a picture of it. Act like you really wanted a '72 2wd longbed. Ask what happened to the trim. Look around at his property suspiciously. Wonder outloud if leaving it outside for so long was such a good idea. Insult his mother. OK, maybe I'm going a little overboard.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #31
jerry moss
Born Psycho

it looks like a good start and from the pics it appears to be a 72 like everyone else said. i would definitly want to drive it and do some research to find out if it's a real super. it needs a lot of work and a lot of money to bring it back to original condition--if thats your plan. i bought a simular truck a while back--cheyenne, shortfleet, 4x4, p-s, p-b, a-c--for $500.00. it ran good but needed a total restoration to be nice. mine also wasn't lifted but depending on your plans, that could either lower or raise the price a small amount.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #32
72Levi

jfalesi...

Insult his mother. OK, maybe I'm going a little overboard.

2008 Buick Enclave AWD, Nav, & DVD, Wife LOVES it!
72Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #33
grancuda

Realistically I think that this truck is easily a 3500-4000 truck, even more if it is a super.

It doesn't matter if it is a late 71 or a 72, mine is titled as a '71 but it has all the '72 features and it really is a '72 but it was titled as a '71, is it worth any less because of that, no.

Also, you are at a big disadvantage as far as jewing him down, he didn't list it for sale, it is so desirable & hard to find that you couldn't find one for sale and you have had to resort to inquiring about one that isn't for sale.
grancuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 12:26 PM   #34
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

My dad said, "The first one to mention money, loses money."

He's not gonna quote a price because he knows doing that will cost him. When you make an offer, it's likely to be more than he would tell you because he knows you want it. If you "think on it" and "call him back", it's like going fishing and having your hook set. Whether he reels you in for more money than it's worth, it up to you.

I guess it all depends on how badly you want it.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #35
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
She looks pretty soild but whats it look like underneath ore above the windshield?????
I don't know yet. I intend to have a look as soon as I get a chance to. ...Joe
Old 11-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #36
jfalesi

Remember, HE called YOU. So, he's had "a lot" of inquiries - then why did he wait to call you? Most people who say they're interested are just looking, and he's probably just hoping you're not one of them. As far as you're concerned, it's a rustbucket that you MIGHT willing to take off his hands. Unless he's a board member...