The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2008, 01:32 AM   #51
vtblazer

Re: Answer My Peeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilo View Post
nice, six lug floater! is it a 60 or what?
Definitely, semi or full?
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:29 AM   #52
DANTES JIMMY

I Think It All Depends What Your Going To Do With It If Your Muddin Or Wheelin You Must Go D60 If Your Just Going Trail Ridin I Think A 3/4 Or 1/2 Ton D44
Is Ok But Trailing You Dont Need 37 Or More
35,s At Best
And If You Are Posin And Shining Up Your Lockouts Or Waxing Your Inner Fenders Well Then It Doesn't Matter Might As Well Take Out The Front Shaft And Go Get Some Grocieries Cause Thats All You Got Is A Trailer Queen
I Had A Closed Knuckle D44 At One Time And I Swear The Axles In It Looked To Be About The Same Size As A Jeep Open Knuckle Needless To Say A Snapped
The Short Side After About Three Hard Runs In A Creek Bottom
DANTES JIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:52 AM   #53
pumpkin

It's an eaton FF. with 35's. I machined the hubs and redrilled for six bolt and rear disc. I use the Blazer for everything, and wanted strength, without giving up ground clearance. Stuck with the 44 up front, but went chrome molly axles, ant ctm u joints.
Attached Images

pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:55 AM   #54
Fry

I think arguing that a 1/2 truck is any less safe than a 3/4 ton on 37s is a pretty weak statement. In reality lifting anything and installing any tires larger than stock is dangerous, severely affecting turning radius, braking, handling, etc. Just because someone has slightly larger brakes doesn't return the vehicles handling and braking back to stock...

With that being said when I had my 75 blazer on 33s I installed 3/4 tons and when I was truck shopping after getting rid of my newer daily driver Z71 I picked up a 85 K20. For me its a preference, I rather have things way overbuilt than on the verge of breaking. When I'm in the backcountry camping out for a week I don't want to rely on questionable parts to get me out.

I feel if someone wants to put 37s on their bling truck and cruise around town, thats fine. Not everyone is hardcore or wants to appear like they are. In reality rear 10bolts are weak, semi-floating axles suck, etc but I also think the go 1 tons or go home attitude is equally weak. Front 10 bolts are OK for most non hardcore guys, I can go further in the K20 without using the front diff locked in 2wd than I could with the K5 open in 4wd (drive smarter, not harder). I also bet a 1/2 ton 9" can be built to be as trouble free for wheelin has a 14 bolt.
Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #55
mothertrucker424

i drove a cherokee into a lake with a d30/d35 combo and 31's

and it worked out ok so i guess i was chancing getting stuck and i was stupid but i drove that thing till it was dead and wheeled the piss outta it and ran 33's and only broke a lca tab off

so finnesse may be a key

or

maybe someone wants to just have fun and learn from there mistakes

so its only a peeve enjoy your trucks

1972 K10 4"lift 33"tires (soon to be bigger and better)
2000 silverado 1500 2wd 2"coil spacers3" BL 285/75/16's

Last edited by mothertrucker424; 02-02-2008 at 01:02 PM.
mothertrucker424 is offline   Reply With Quote