The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
jdurant

exhaust question

Right now my Blaxer has a single flowmaster with a dump for exhaust. Sounds good, everything is fine until I roll all three windows down. Then I get a whole lot of exhaust fumes circulating through the truck. Since it is no good dumped, I guess, I would like it dual and coming out at 45s between the rear bumper and tire. I'm not sure if there is enough room to make that look right with the fuel tank.
Let me know what you guys have done.
Thanks. pics would help.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
jdurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:59 AM   #2
GG_Blaisdell

Re: exhaust question

I also like the idea of the 45 degree pipes at the rear. Saw a Ranger with a nice dual set-up like that and think it would compliment the Blazer well. I wonder if the quasi-out the back location would cause any problems with the read window rolled down? Anyone have ideas or experience with something like this?
GG_Blaisdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:05 AM   #3
kevinr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurant View Post
Right now my Blaxer has a single flowmaster with a dump for exhaust. Sounds good, everything is fine until I roll all three windows down. Then I get a whole lot of exhaust fumes circulating through the truck. Since it is no good dumped, I guess, I would like it dual and coming out at 45s between the rear bumper and tire. I'm not sure if there is enough room to make that look right with the fuel tank.
Let me know what you guys have done.
Thanks. pics would help.
Heres the way I understand it to work.
With all three windows down, when the air passes over the door windows it creates a vacuum. The vacuum pulls air IN through the rear window and it gets sucked out the door windows.
So regardless of where the exhaust is located it will still get exhaust as the exhaust swirls around behind the truck when moving. Thats why the back windows get so dirty.
Conversely, if you keep the door windows shut but have the rear window down and then open your floor vents (non-AC trucks) or set your HVAC control to "vent" it will provide massive amounts of air.

In theory...
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:21 AM   #4
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

My last Blazer was 45'd on each side, that's how I plan to do this one. It looks good and there's enough room to do it.
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #5
tobiahr

If you are trying to keep exhaust from coming in you have to keep the rear window shut. I've had both the the 45 degree pipes, rear dumps (came out beside the license plate) and even a set of side pipes that dumped in front of the rear tire. With all of these i still had problems with exaust fumes with the rear window down and strangely enough problems with the top off with the rear dumps. I have also had fume problems with leaking weatherstripping on the rear gate with rear dumps. Currently going with 45 degree pipes to avoid as much as possible. IMHO they look better too.

Last edited by tobiahr; 05-16-2008 at 04:26 PM.
tobiahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
tvblazer78
Low & Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiahr View Post
If you are trying to keep exhaust from coming in you have to keep the rear window shut. I've had both the the 45 degree pipes, rear dumps (came out beside the license plate) and even a set of side pipes that dumped in front of the rear tire. With all of these i still had problems with exaust fumes with the rear window down and strangely enough problems with the top off with the rear dumps. I have also had fume problems with leaking weatherstripping on the rear gate with rear dumps. Currently going with 45 degree pipes to avoid as much as possible. IMHO they look better too.

All of this is all right, if you run it in front of the back tire and have the top off it works well. That is just how the blazers are...
tvblazer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
jdurant

That is what I was afraid of. That really sucks, since one of the best percs of the Blazer is to ride with all three windows down--the circulation is perfect and the turbulance is low, you can still hear your stereo really well. I guess I will see if it is any better with 45s when I get around to it.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
Old 05-16-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
tobiahr

its ok though...after a while with the window down you get kinda sleepy and the smell doesn't seem to bother you as much
tobiahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
Kaysenmc

My blazer Was dumped before the rear axle, and never noticed any fumes (window down, or top off). Now my exhaust runs straight out the back, and it can burn you out with that back glass down.
Kaysenmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:41 AM   #10
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

To me the best part of a Blazer is top off! The two I had previously, I eventually quit riding around with the back glass down but it had nothing to do with exhaust fumes. It sucks in dirt and I was constantly cleaning the inside of the top to get it white again on the interior.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:08 AM   #11
jdurant

Talking Re: exhaust question

I'm gonna install a giant air filter.
87 GMC Sierra SWB
82 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
Old 05-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurant View Post
I'm gonna install a giant air filter.

There you go. Big K&N cone on each exhaust tip. TRICK!