The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #26
1963chevyshort

Re: 1960 Chop Project

That is idea. Did you have any pics on the ones that fit between the bed frame rails
1963chevyshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #27
GreyDX

I watched my dad cut some windshields about 30yrs ago. Maybe they have better ways now, but then it was pretty tricky . You scribe one side with a glass cutter, then turn it over and try to scribe the other side exactly over the first one. Then you tapped along the lines till the break extended through the glass. That was the tricky part because the break could easily run off in the wrong direction. Then you poured a solvent (not sure what they used) along the break to soften the plastic in between and gently flex it until you could get a razor blade in to cut it. This is really hard stuff, you can't make a straight even end to end run with the cutter because of the size and the curves.
Anyone know if this is how they do it now?

GreyDX
GreyDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #28
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I think now sand blasting is the way to go. that is how I plan to do mine.
I have been trying to figure out where the cuts will be, it seems that there will be more taken off the corners than anything else.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:37 AM   #29
65stepside

No real progress on this lately. Seems that buying and working on a house takes over your plans for working on a truck, plus I have another project that I'm working on...a 1930 Olds 5 Window Coupe.

The glass is whats holding me up on working on this project....Captainfab do you know anyone around Boise that could cut the glass????
I have pretty much have all I need to put everything together. Just gotta get past the glass part.

thx guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Jon
I don't have any first hand experience on this, but I've been told by others that 3" is about the max you can go on a '60-'63 and still be able to cut the windshield to fit. I know I'm a ways from you but I may be able to hook you up with someone that can cut the windshield for you.....if you like.
1966 Toronado
1971 Cutlass
1972 442
1978 Chevy 1/2 Long Fleetside
2001 Dodge 2500
65stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #30
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I found this site helpful for planning the cut glass:
http://www.cadvision.com/blanchas/54...indshield.html

It is where the cuts need to be that I have not figured out yet.
It looks like I will need to take a little material off the top, and then more off the corners as the windshield leans back.
It is the inward angle of the roofposts that has me worried, I will probably have to widen the top which I was hoping to get away with not doing.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #31
kdrodworks316
KOFFIN DRAGGER

I dont know how well it works, but my glass man told me he uses a belt sander with about a 120 grit. That was to trim my tempered side glass for th burban, may work on a windshield as well. sounds time consuming to me.

New updated stuff at www.kdrodworks.com
My site still needs help, web guys and gals pm me.

the best guys in the whole world:
sweet70beast, jonzcustomshop, runninlow, captainfab, and the one I havent met yet, joe231
kdrodworks316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:25 AM   #32
original_balzer

I thought you made a fiberglass mold of the opening and had a windsheild made for chop tops?

Hell I dont know.
-77 k20 long fleet (gettin all the goodies from frankentruck)
-79 c30/k30 3+3 frankentruck (cab and frame for sale)
-99 GMC yukon daily driver
original_balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #33
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

That is what you do if you have lots of $$$$$
Old 08-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #34
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Awesome job on your project. I got directed to your thread because of the dash. I have a 65 that I plan on doing the same to. Keep up the great work.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #35
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

well, I have been doing research on how to do the glass, and started cutting mine down.
first off, find a junk windshield to practice with, and to see if the windshield opening needs to be modified.

I got a glass cutter, and cut down my broken w/s (it's really broken now!)I
I am chopped 3 inches, at the center of the w/s opening I measured top edge to top edge, it ended up showing that I needed to cut 1 3/4 inches off the top of the windshield- the lower measurement than the chop due to the angle of the w/s.
now I was sort of able to stick the w/s in the hole, and see that it needed an angle cut off the rear pillar portion of the w/s.
then with that cut I saw that it needed to be cut under the bottom corners to fit. the good news is that even though I have rough jagged cuts, I can see how it will fit in the opening.
either way I need to widen the roof by 3/4 of an inch.I can cut in the center (which I plan to do), or I could have relocated the pinchwell, and posts 3/8 of an inch on each side. the 3/8 method looked to be easier at first, but when the doors were involved, it wasn't

I will include all of this with pics on my build post , after I have made progress, I am going slow right now , so it might be awhile.

for your truck, I suggest: cutting down a junk w/s, and setting it in the opening. you will se right away if your roof posts will need to be modified.
I kind of have a feeling that since it did not come with a windshield, that might be the case.
If you need to modify, do that.
Then all you need to do is make a paper pattern of your w/s opening.
the bottom center portion of the w/s will remain uncutget the pattern centered to the bottom edge, and then you can mark what needs to be cut off.
I am going to try the sandblast method, I will let you know how it turns out.

also before mounting the w/s make sure all the pinchwell is leaning at the same angle as the glass.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #36
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

The way I've seen people cut their winsheild is to take a sharpie aka marker and measure on both sides of the winsheild and draw the line across on both sides.

Take the glass cutter and cut across the line on both sides twice. Then when you are finished take some lighter fluid and pour it into the cut on one side of the windsheild and light it.

Of course place the winsheild on a flat surface like a table and take a pair of wide plyers and grab the piece your cutting off and wiggle it while the lighter fluid is burning.

I'm guessing the lighter fluids job is to melt the thin layer of plastic that is sandwhiched between the two layers of glass. However what if there isn't two layers sandwhiched? Beats me. Hahaha