The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2008, 11:54 PM   #26
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Re: fowled plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
NGK or Bosch? Nah. Edelbrocks' choices are his opinion or those of his employees.
We all drive GM products here and GM has long used AC Delco brand parts. I have to believe considerable research was done before GM chose this brand. They are made to GM's standards. I have used only a couple of other brands once or twice in my many years but have always came back to AC. The AC plugs in my 2 97 trucks are said to be good for 100,000 miles. From the looks of them I believe they will do that and more.
In the end I feel like if AC is good enough for the General it's good enough for me. That's my opinion on it!
I have all GM products with the exception of my wifes KIA, which happens to be one of the best cars I have ever owned. This doesn't make me an outsider as your opinion would suggest. I ran Champion, AC, and Autolite for a while. I switched to NGK because after looking at them and comparing them to each other, NGK was better constructed. The insulators don't crack as easily either. In my experience if you just tweak the insulators on Champion, AC and Autolite, they crack. Yes , I use the right rubber insulated socket. NGK also happens to be the most used sparkplug worldwide.

I love GM just as much as you do, but I got tired of throwing my money away on (in my experience) a cheaply made product. Not the car or truck, the sparkplug. It tears me up when I see and read about how poorly American companies have been managed recently and the corners they have cut. Not just GM either. When these companies put the quality back in their product, I will buy it. (I.E. sparkplugs.)

It's a damn shame too, because GM is making the best vehicles they have ever made in their entire history. Despite the sparkplugs they use, I will always buy GM. As a matter of fact, I am looking at a Pontiac G8 for my wife right now and will probably buy one when I can afford it. If it has anything other than NGK spark plugs in it, I will change them.

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:05 AM   #27
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

[QUOTE=special-K;3050364]^Did you miss the rest? If they`re wet,it`s water fowl.I edited in bold type.

Since they are wet,are they oily or smell more like gas?If it`s gassy smelling then I`d look at plugs,carb,etc.If they are oily it`s engine wear.I hotter spark and leaner carb helps compensate,but not the solution.
BTW,Bosch is one of the best products in the world.Which non-qualified person did you speak to at Autozone?Bosch may very well be the best aoto electrical company in the world who know only makes premium products.I just like an American name in my American stuff.Don`t run Oriental name tires either.ACs have been doing the trick since day one for me.You just need the right ones.If which plug you use makes that much diferent,you have bigger problems anyway.[/QUOTE]

And what problem would that be?
I just don't like throwing my money away on cheaply made sparkplugs, regardless of who makes them.

'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
95 Kia (Wifes car)
Old 12-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #28
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I`d definately be chicken the pcv/crankcase venting.Is it gobbling alot of fuel?A quacked ring would cause such a problem but not all cylinders at once.Same with valvetrain.Duck under the hood and chick how hot the spark from the coil is.I egrit I`m not closer.If you were heron the east coast I`d come over and have a looksee.Is it puffin any smoke?I`d peep in my mirrors while it`s running.When you goose it off idle and it smoked it`s your guides or seals from no lead.

'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
95 Kia (Wifes car)