The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #26
Beatcoaster
69 Fleetside

Re: Interior is finally done!

have at it bro, and pm me a link to it so I can watch the answers also!
Beatcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #27
Beatcoaster
69 Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlue View Post
NICE Job! I really like the colors and the speaker install gives me some ideas.
How long did it take you to do the job?
Thanks
MrBlue
The whole job took about 4 months of weekends and evenings, weather dependant(aka Seattle rain). The stereo install went fast, since I have done probably 15 in my lifetime for friends/family. I did it in probably 3 days total including all the speaker install, box building, dynamatting the doors, etc...It sounds damn, damn good. I have won multiple stereo competitions(3 trophies) in the past and this $650(no joke!) system would really make anyone question spending $2000+ on a setup for their truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967C20 View Post
That looks awesome, man. Love the steering wheel.
I do to, the wood really sets off the rest of the interior and keeps it looking somewhat classic, where as a black/billet one would probably have gotten lost in the dark colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Looking good man. It's great feeling knowing you did it yourself.
I couldn't agree more. I have modded a few cars over the years but nothing like this - it's a good feeling when seeing the end product and knowing I did it all for sure!...

Last edited by Beatcoaster; 06-29-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #28
pinnedcr250f

Looks great and next week I am starting on my interior so this is a great thred for me. I had a few questions, what kind of dinamat did you use? how much and where did you get it? did you amp your speakers? and where did you mount the sub boxes? I looks great and I am impressed!

71 Chevy C10
02 Chevy Dmax
06 Yahama Rhino:
pinnedcr250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #29
Beatcoaster
69 Fleetside

cr250f = fun bike!!

I used 2 kinds of dynamat. I had some Xtreme Dynamat left over from a previous install I did on my Subaru STi and I also bought some eDead from Elemental Designs off of ebay. I got their thinner product so I could double layer it as needed and used about 20sq ft in each door(both sides of door, very solid sound now) and then just did a single layer on the floor cause I have a layer of jute and then carpet so that should keep road noise down plenty. Dynamat is quite pricey and the eDead is cheap in comparison for a very comparable product. I think it was right around $60 for 50 sq ft of it...

I got an MB Quart DSC480 off of ebay for $120 and amped the 6x9's full range and the 8"subs at 120hz. The DB's are run off the head unit and are crossed over at 100hz allowing them to really crank before distortion kicks in.

The sub boxes are directly underneath the stock bench seat. The boxes are a extremely tight fit but I am getting the .35 cu ft of space the subs needed. I can barely feel the seat supports hit the boxes as they bow when I sit down. Top mounting and recessing the subs down into the box helps deal with cone movement and steel spring above them. Also placing the woofer near the back of the box keeps it out of the middle area where your butt presses the most. The front portion of the bench seat and rear rail of the seat back keep the boxes locked in place and you need no mounting points for them, they cannot be moved unless the seat bolts are undone. Which bring up a sucky point, that the inner rear bolts could not be used as the box is directly in the way...But it is beyond secure with using 3 per side, and the seatbelts will deal with newtons law if, god forbid, an accident ever did occur.

It's funny and annoying, that the cab seems so airtight now that I cannot shut the last door without doing a butt bump on it or having the window down. But if there is anywhere for air to escape(window open) I can shut the doors no problem?!
Old 06-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #30
Kurt L

great job on the interior looks awsome.
Kurt L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #31
Mark B

What brand and model of steering wheel is that anyhow? It sure is nice.

Mark B
Mark B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #32
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B View Post
What brand and model of steering wheel is that anyhow? It sure is nice.

Mark B
My question too - where'd you snag that? I've seen a few that looked like that here and there. That looks very nice.

Well done on the system too!

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #33
Beatcoaster
69 Fleetside

It's a Grant "Classic Nostalgia" wood steering wheel. I got it from LMC, with the Grant hub/horn adapter and all, but it can be had at Summit Racing for way cheaper and they list it as Model #976...

Last edited by Beatcoaster; 06-29-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #34
BP68

I had a similar idea for my speakers.

I was wondering how it would sound. Are you happy with the sound quality?

My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269999
BP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #35
Beatcoaster
69 Fleetside

To be brief, I am a true audiophile that has built many systems in cars and won a few good trophies from my efforts. My home stereo is based off an Integra 9.8 preamp, Emotiva xpa-2/xpa-5 amps, and AV123 LS-6's/X-Voce and surrounds. I am obsessed with good sound(to a fault my wife says), so take the following with that in mind...I won't stand for inferior output or quality...

For $650 bucks I think it sounds truly amazing, but there are a few downfalls of course...

The Polk db 5-1/4 speakers in the dash offer very little mid bass as they must remain free air. There is no way you could enclose them in a small box unless it was made out of thin wall plexiglass and you wanted your head unit to fry from lack of ventilation. That is not good, so because of this I chose to leave them open and take the small hit on sound quality from the "upper soundstage". They do offer great imaging and the reflection of the highs off the window sounds great(as it does with most cars) and encompasses the entire cab. This is where the 6x9's come in, they carry the mid range/mid bass fill where the free air 5-1/4's fall short. Unfortunetly due to their location, the carpet pile seems to soak up their highs quite a bit, but again, the dash tweets pick up the slack, and all my ears care about anyway. Even after loading the doors with dynamat and eDead, the 6x9's still fell short in the bass department so I then added the Polk db 8's and an amplifier. Coupled with 80watts or power, these truly take the whole system to the next level(and help the 6x9's output also) and add the impact you really need. If I had the cash to currently move the gas tank out of the cab and install some 10's behind the seat with a much bigger box I would, as the 8's do fall short in the sub bass region. I don't have a tone generator at my disposal but would say the 8's fall off rapidly at around 40hz or so in these small boxes. Which is more than fine for most music listening.

All in all, for the money it cannot be beat. The butt vibrations are great, it will easily overcome road noise with the windows down at 70mph, and it will really impress your friends with it's sound quality, once the crossovers are setup correctly.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #36
Mark B

I really like what you have done. Am I correct that the wheel is 15" diameter? How it that compared to stock? And is the dish depth similar to orginal? How did the installation go?
thanks
Mark B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #37
Tycoon4u
Tooloose

Great job on the interior, I'm on the interior part of my build now. That trans tunnel is the same as mine- stock low hump.

'68 c10 (current project)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=cherry+bomb
'04 silverado (better halfs)
'07 wildcat 27rlwb(for sale) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...llinois&cat=17
Tycoon4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:47 AM   #38
usmc70c10

Wow! Awesome looking interior. I'm jealous. I love the colors. Question: What colors were used? I really like how the two go together.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #39
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Your interior came out great. Very nice job!!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #40
chirt

Great Job!!1
chirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #41
weircc

love that steering wheel
weircc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #42
kcjones
I wish I was a cowboy

You've read it so many times by now, but I have to chime in - great job! I'm the opposite of a sound buff (give me windows down and exhaust below the cab any day!), but your creativity was tasteful and pleasant, and the colors work wonderfully. Again - great job!

Met list: Cyclone,Wilson,TranzAm,extd56,hotrodhomi,mnky30,Rokcrln,Brad,JerryJones(well, his truck anyway).
kcjones is offline   Reply With Quote