The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
Roadhammer

Brakeline Help

Can anyone tell me what length of brakelines i will need and what or how many fittings i would need...and whatsize. Everything i need to know about changing the brakeline all new stuff.

This if for a 1963 lwb fleet with 79 front crossmember and brake booster. Disk brakes in the front drums in the rear. Any help would be much appreciated or direct me to a thread where someone does this or explains it.

Thanks

Jory
Roadhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
1964C10

Re: Brakeline Help

If you have never done it before, I might suggest you buy the complete set and save yourself alot headache. I think inlinetube.com has the exact set you need for ~$160 in steel and ~$185 in SS. By the time you buy the parts, the bender etc, you are going to spend almost $80+

Just something to ponder.

My build thread
Looking for help on completing the Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

If you didn't build it, you don't really own it
1964C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Roadhammer

NAPA had brakeline that can be bent by hand and can be bent and rebent if you make a mistake. They werent overly expensive and were easy to get the specific pieces i need to make the mismatched disk/drum perportioning valve system to work. I think for that i was under 80 bucks but i also had to buy all new hoses which was more like 100 for 3 hoses. But everything will be new and ill have peace of mind about that.

Jory
Old 10-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
1964C10

Cool! I have seen that stuff at NAPA, it's steel with a plastic coating so just be careful not to scratch it. Good luck and put up some pictures once you are done!!

My build thread
Looking for help on completing the Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

If you didn't build it, you don't really own it
1964C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

If you've never used bendable green/black stuff before, I'd suggest buying a small piece to test for bending and flaring. On paper it sounds great. Corrosion resistant, easy to form, etc. Some people swear by it, but I'm not one of them.

I've never tried bending it by hand, since I have commercial grade roller tubing benders. In 40+ years of forming hard lines this is the only material I've ever had fold over and kink in the middle of a bend (several times), while using a roller bender.

I was also unable to form a usable flare. Each time the flare came out off center and appeared it would fracture if tightened. It took some shopping but I finally found a supply of the old galvanized steel tubing. Nice tight bends, no kinks, and perfect flares every time. If you have a different technique or equipment perhaps it would work fine. They obviously sell a lot.

Just something to consider. Here's how the old style turned out:
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #6
Roadhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
If you've never used bendable green/black stuff before, I'd suggest buying a small piece to test for bending and flaring. On paper it sounds great. Corrosion resistant, easy to form, etc. Some people swear by it, but I'm not one of them.

I've never tried bending it by hand, since I have commercial grade roller tubing benders. In 40+ years of forming hard lines this is the only material I've ever had fold over and kink in the middle of a bend (several times), while using a roller bender.

I was also unable to form a usable flare. Each time the flare came out off center and appeared it would fracture if tightened. It took some shopping but I finally found a supply of the old galvanized steel tubing. Nice tight bends, no kinks, and perfect flares every time. If you have a different technique or equipment perhaps it would work fine. They obviously sell a lot.

Just something to consider. Here's how the old style turned out:

IF i had to flare them anyway i would have bought a flaring and bending tool and went to work....But these have all the fittings and are already flared. So i measured what lengths i need and bought as close to the right length as they sold they had 1/2/3/4/5 ft lengths. I will take pics and show what i come up with. Its my first time so this should be interesting.

Jory