The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #26
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: how much will front end parts run me??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74 C-30 View Post
^^makes me feel better about myself

i just did upper and lower ball joints and tie rods on my truck, and I am in no way a mechanic, just mechanically inclined. i had the advantage of a nice air compressor and impact wrench, but i didn't use any forks on either ball joints or tie rods, just the hammer method, bash the spindle 'til it pops out. to get the lower ball joint out I brought the a-arm to school and used the press. i honestly didn't think it was too hard, just take you time, think things through, and get a repair manual
Just make sure you leave the castle nuts on the ball joint studs most of the way so when the ball joint breaks free of the press fit it has on the spindle nothing goes flying. After the initial release you can jack up the lower a-arm and take the nuts the rest of the way off and lower the a-arm to release the spring pressure the rest of the way.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #27
SIXT8LOU

Re: how much will front end parts run me??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I didn't mean to stir up controversy with my post, but I find that sometimes on this board, prices tend to be under reported.

If you read my blog, you will see pictures and a blow by blow report of me rebuilding a front suspension. I spent right at 800 bucks for parts alone. That's good parts, not parts store knock off stuff. I've done this more than a few times before, and I shop hard for prices.

To do the suspension and no brakes, you will need:

2 upper ball joints
2 lower ball joints
2 pairs of upper control arm bushings
2 pairs of lower control arm bushings
2 inner tie rod ends
2 outer tie rod ends
1 idler arm
1 pitman arm
2 shock absorbers

Honestly, it's not a job for the meek or timid mechanic. Several of the parts can be quite difficult to change. Control arm bushings are pressed into the arms and require either good technique and a shop press or medieval work with an air hammer. Lower ball joints are also pressed in. You can get a tool on loan from most parts stores to do this, but if you have the arm off pressing in new bushings, you should just go ahead and press in the ball joints too. It's much easier that way.

I'd say front suspension work is far and away the most physically taxing kind of work you can do to a truck. The stuff is heavy and it is usually stuck tight in place.
QUESTION... little mixed up,,i know the LBJ is pressed into the A arm...the control arm bushing? is that the cross shaft your referencing? thanks
SIXT8LOU is offline   Reply With Quote