The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Adding AC??

How hard is it to Add Air Conditioning? I've looked at 3 trucks recently an 88 crewcab, a 78 blazer and a 83 suburban and none of them had AC....The trucks were priced cheap but not cheap enough for me to buy without AC unless of course its an easy add on.

Thanks Guys
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
95 S_Trucker

Re: Adding AC??

it shouldnt be too bad. i am in the process of adding factory a/c in a truck that didnt come with a/c.

you will need the brackets for the compressor and a new power steering pulley with 2 slots in it, you will need the outer box and inner box, as well as heater hoses and all the a/c plumbing and components

every thing should bolt in except the box itself

the a/c box requires a hole like this:

i made a template off the donor truck that i will put on the other trucks firewall, it will make cutting a lot easier

The truck should be done within a month

heres the build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=383629

Last edited by 95 S_Trucker; 02-02-2010 at 09:05 AM.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
2badgn

I know that some companies- i think Brothers - sell a complete AC kit. Dont know how easy it is but there r 2 routes that can be taken when adding AC. THe first route is to find all the pieces from a donor AC truck- and there r ALOT of pieces- compressor, condensor, AC lines, drier/receiver, correct AC blower, AC style inner glovebox, AC vents and AC dash/trim, AC/heat controls, evaporator, wiring harness, etc.

This is ALOT work. It might be worth it to purchase a complete AC kit bc u can use your non-AC controls and air vent.

I might convert in a few years but the kit costs $1300.
2badgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i have found all the parts cheap enough i just have to install them im into it for about three hundred now my truck came with AC originally that someone ripped out but even with a non ac cab it was easy enough to put the AC parts in it i did that back in 03 on my 86

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
87Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
it shouldnt be too bad. i am in the process of adding factory a/c in a truck that didnt come with a/c.

you will need the brackets for the compressor and a new power steering pulley with 2 slots in it, you will need the outer box and inner box, as well as heater hoses and all the a/c plumbing and components

every thing should bolt in except the box itself

the a/c box requires a hole like this:

i made a template off the donor truck that i will put on the other trucks firewall, it will make cutting a lot easier

The truck should be done within a month

heres the build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=383629
Would you like to sell a copy of your template?
Old 02-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
95 S_Trucker

i dont know about that, its nothing special, just a piece of cardboard with some holes in it. ill do a detailed drawing of it and take some measurements and i will post it in here then.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Thanks guys for the responses. I passed on all 3 trucks but still looking for my next project. That template will come in very handy for many future members projects so please keep us updated.
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
JohnC

You could also go with a vintage air system or something like that too. Keeps the firewall clean, and you get A/C
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote