The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
TheSunDanceKid

HELP 700r4

alight ive had it with my roommates 1986 k5 with a 305 700r4 hopefully some one could help me out
first it wouldnt shift to 3rd gear we found out it was due to a falty TV cable it was melted so we changed it out with a new one got that all replaced and at first it wouldnt adjust the valve was sticking so we got it free some debre was making it stick got all that fixed also noticed the valve body spring (orange one) was broken replaced that also took a while to find one but got everything back together
now it shifts up fine goes threw all gears good with no hesitation
but as soon as you get into 3rd or 4th and you let off the throttle at all and accelerate again it will just rev like its in nuetral but once its back in
1st you can acceletrate again to what ever speed so basicly its not down shifting after 3rd gear and wont upshift intill its in 1st again

ive adjusted the tv cable twice now and its still doing it she only works like a 1/4 mile away so it works to get there and back lol inless you need it to down shift

by the way i have taken the gov out the gear looks fine no broken grooves or anything did notice it had 2 different springs on it though one was a soft spring and the other was a little stiffer

Last edited by TheSunDanceKid; 02-10-2010 at 01:08 AM.
TheSunDanceKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
Stitch
Account Suspended

Re: HELP 700r4

have you tried to manually downshift it with the shifter...it may help to downshift the truck until you can find out what's wrong with it...I don't have any knowledge to answer your question though...I have a 700r4 behind my diesel and it's a mystery to me...lol
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:55 AM   #3
cableguy0

Whats the fluid look like? Is there trash in the pan? A bad tv cable will cook a 700r4 in a hurry. Probably not what you want to hear. Sounds to me like 3rd gear is burnt up as well as overdrive. Driving such a short distance is going to hide a lot of issues.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:02 AM   #4
TheSunDanceKid

the fluid is a little burnt no trash or metal in the pan wat so ever
weve changed it at least 6 times with new fluid every time by the way we are driving it in over drive regular drive starts off real slow so she doesnt use it
its P-R-N-Od-D-1-2 i need it fixed not just down shifting with the shifter
Old 02-10-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
cableguy0

If the fluid has been changed and is still burnt. Start taking it apart. you need a tranny. 700r4's wont live more than a few miles without the tv cable functioning properly.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:15 AM   #6
TheSunDanceKid

ok she doesnt have the money for a new one but what would be wrong with the OLD one the whole trany just doesnt burn up what specificly in the trany would be messed up
Old 02-10-2010, 02:21 AM   #7
cableguy0

It doesnt work that way with an auto trans. if one clutch pack is burned up the whole trans needs rebuilt. at a minimum new clutches/steels and a paper and rubber kit. the trash tears up the seals/clutches in the whole tranny when one clutch pack goes. a rebuild is in order.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:44 AM   #8
cableguy0

I know thats not what you want to hear but on the upside. theres countless numbers of 4wd gms that used the 700r4. a used tranny is a decent option if you can find one in good shape.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #9
Stitch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunDanceKid View Post
i need it fixed not just down shifting with the shifter
I wasn't saying that this was a solution...I was saying maybe you could do this until you got another tranny or figured out what was wrong
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
chevymotocross

Sounds like it is going to need a rebuild/replacement. My 700r4 was working flawlessly after a corvette servo install. After I decided to do some "preventative maintaince" by changing filter/fluid, I experienced issues. 2nd slips on uphills, 3rd always acts wierd, revs up for about a second and then shifts. It's been doing this for a long time now since it first occurred.

You may want to try that lucas additive. I used it in mine recently and it helped firm up the shifts a bit, buying me more time until I get it rebuilt.