The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #51
3r!c84
Badass

Re: Flip Kit help

it should be good.just make sure you tighted the hell outa the ubolts and your good

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #52
CenValyCali

Thanks, I tightened everything real good. I still need to do the front. Not really sure how to take the coil springs out though. Any help? With Pictures
CenValyCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:39 PM   #53
nlped

I figured you could use the "flip kit" as I mentioned before. And you can use the shackles without issue, but since you pulled leaf, you are one step ahead and you don't have to notch the bed.

As far as the front coil springs, just loosen the lower ball joint castle nut, take the sway bar end link loose from the LCA, disconnect the lower shock mount, take the caliper loose from the spindle and tie it back out of the way, and "wack" the spindle on either of the two "raised areas" right where the lower ball joint goes through the spindle (put a jack under the control arm and flip the castle nut on the ball joint before "wacking") and it should come apart. Once the ball joint and the spindle are seperated, just gently lower the jack and the coil spring should come out with minimal manipulation.

Once you get the stock spring out, compare it with the new spring and then you can ask how much to cut off. But without seeing them side by side, it would be tough to just rattle off an amount to cut. Just remember, if you don't cut off enough, you can do it again! If you cut off to much, you can't stretch the spring .

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote