The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
baclay9

Please help me with my front end

Ok, I started tearing down my 83' C10 SWB today and found something rather disturbing. To start with the truck sits within a 1/2 inch of level from side to side. But I found that the passenger side coil spring appears to have been heated while the drivers side hasn't. I also found a mysterious weld on my frame that just doesn't look right. Also there are a bunch of spacers on the drivers side upper control arm. Here are some pics.

In these first two you can see the spacers in the upper control arm and also the weld that goes all the way down the frame right in front of the control arms.

By claypool782 at 2010-05-05

These last two show a measurement on each side from the bump stop base plat to the upper control arm. The passenger side is the first pic and is and 1 1/4 closer than the drivers side.

Seems to me if I were to put stock springs in this thing the passenger side would sit higher than the drivers side indicating a bent frame(SAY IT ISNT SO) Also the weld looks like maybe a new end was welded onto the frame. Please let me know what you guys think. I sure hope I haven't been suckered into buying a wrecked up piece of crap. Thanks guys

Last edited by baclay9; 05-05-2010 at 05:57 PM.
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Please help me with my front end

That stack of shims worries me. I think I would get that thing to a frame/alignment shop and get it checked-out. Either the alignment is waay off or the frame is tweaked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
SBTork
Garage wrench

That stack of shims towards the front seems odd. I'd second the "take it to an alingment shop" statement. I'd go one further and say take it to a frame/axle shop and see that the deal is. Those welds are very oddly placed like maybe a cobbled frame repair. A frame and axle repair shop would be able to tell you better for sure.

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
baclay9

Also, when you look at the truck from the front the sway bar has an obvious lean toward the passenger side while the body of the truck doesn't.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

How much is it lowered? That would account for many of the shims. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
baclay9

Not too sure. I don't think it is really lowered at all. it is only shimmed like that on the drivers side. I also noticed it is welded infront and behind the control arms on the drivers side. The frame horn on the drivers side appears to bee off an older truck. Like a 76' or something. It is more rounded at the front than just cut off at an angle like the passenger side.

Should an 81' frame be the same as an 83'. I found an 81 frame for a decent price.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
81ratrodc10
house of chevy's

definatly take it to a frame shop sound like a cob job fix
81ratrodc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I going to guess that your frame was/is bent on that side. It looks like they put a new front rail on it from an earlier truck based on your description. Considering the shims and heated coil it looks like a back yard repair.

Sorry to say it don't look good. That's not saying it can't be made right, but I would look in to it before I went further.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
baclay9

Thought I would give you guys an update. Frame is definately twisted and has had a different front frame section welded onto the drivers side. It was welded on just behind the control arms and welded again right infront of them for some reason. I went through a whole range of pissed off emotions after discovering all this. After calming down and looking at my options this is what I have come up with.

I could never sell the truck because I would never sell a vehicle to someone under the false pretense that it was in good shape. I am jjust not like that.

I am not willing to take the hit and sell it off for parts.

So, that being said, I started searching craigslist for another truck. I guess I must be living right because I came across a rolling 81' swb frame in great shape for $150. I am going to go pick it up on Saturday.

So my small project looks like it will turn into a frame off project. No big deal, it will just take me a little longer to get it done. I am sure I will enjoy it though. Thanks for your help guys and I plan to start a build thread as soon as I get started.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
dropd80s

This is Marvin that sold you the 81 frame. Hope everything works out for you like I said if you need anything else or have any questions let me know. Glad I could help you out.
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
baclay9

Thanks again Marvin. My Dad shot me some pics of the frame and with a little clean-up and paint I think it is going to be perfect.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
dropd80s

No problem at all thanks for getting it off my hands. I saw the pics of the frame in your build thread. Your truck looks good. Where are you guys drilling? I work in the oil field too.
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
baclay9

I am working up by Alva, OK now. Should be in this area for the next year or so. I figured you were in the oilfield when you said you had to make a run to the panhandle the other day. There is absolutely no other reason to go there....lol