The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
dbmx66

what a night!

so after months of working on my bros lifted k10 short fleet, we got it inspected and insured finally, so we start driving to go pick his girl up, were heading down this one road comin up on a stop sign, the headlights start flickerin truck shuts off, its stops, in the middle of the street, the cab starts smokin up, smoke is pouring out of the hood, my bro jumps out pops the hood i was still in the cab, flames just start pouring out of the engine compartment, i quick jump out, rip my sweat shirt off start blowing on in, we had nothing else to use, finally it went out. now were stuck out on a road, in the pitch black we cant see the damage, but we can sure smell it. since were in the middle over the road, he sed to push it back and cut the wheel to the right, to get it on the margin. i start pushing the front bumper, and trust me, me being 17 @ 140lbs trying to push a lifted all steel body truck with lockers front and rear on 35s isnt fun or easy. after getting off to the side of the road, he got a hold of one of his buddies, by this time its 130am his buddy comes flying over. of course were facing the opposite way we have to go to get back to our garage. so us 3 slowly push the truck forward and back, cutting the wheel left and right, we get it aimed the other way. fortunalty his friend had a tow strap, so we flat towed it 10 minutes back to the garage. turns out a leaky dipstick spraying oil everywhere with the positive battery cable 2 inches away from the one headers isnt a good thing. damage isnt to bad, but it sucks wen you got work the next morning at 6.

Last edited by dbmx66; 11-27-2010 at 03:26 AM.
dbmx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
PRattenbury

Re: what a night!

A leaky dipstick spraying oil everywhere? That ain't right. I'll assume you don't have cylinder pressure blowing by that bad and ask if the truck has had its PCV system removed. If it is removed, you need to find a better way to vent the crankcase than letting it blow out the dipstick. Maybe use a road draft tube. Honestly, a PCV system is not a terrible thing...
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

well glad to hear you all got it home intact and noone was hurt...hopefully youll get it running right again soon

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
RuralRoute C-30

Sounds like a memory-maker. Glad it worked out in getting everyone home safe.

Here in Illinois to get a safety lane sticker requires having a fire extinguisher to be on-board in the truck. Just a point to ponder, they can be handy.

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
dbmx66

the dipstick wasnt in right, there is a pcv system on it. and after looking at it the fuel line is about 4inches away from where the cable fried. that coulda been bad
Old 11-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
gmclowsierra

where in pa you at?
gmclowsierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
dbmx66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmclowsierra View Post
where in pa you at?
mohnton, about 10-15 mins away from reading, about a mile from maple grove raceway

Last edited by dbmx66; 11-28-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:21 AM   #8
dmartin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralRoute C-30 View Post
Sounds like a memory-maker. Glad it worked out in getting everyone home safe.

Here in Illinois to get a safety lane sticker requires having a fire extinguisher to be on-board in the truck. Just a point to ponder, they can be handy.

Mark
x2...a fire extinguisher is always good!
my truck caught on fire from a leaky oil pressure senging unit and luckly was in the driveway,and had an extinguisher in the kitchen.
and had the remains of 1/2 of that extinguisher in the bed forgotten about a month later after the problem was thought to be fixed,put it out again.
i now carry one at all times mounted on the tranny hump
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:36 AM   #9
dbmx66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartin1 View Post
x2...a fire extinguisher is always good!
my truck caught on fire from a leaky oil pressure senging unit and luckly was in the driveway,and had an extinguisher in the kitchen.
and had the remains of 1/2 of that extinguisher in the bed forgotten about a month later after the problem was thought to be fixed,put it out again.
i now carry one at all times mounted on the tranny hump
i was about to rip the washer tank off the fender and dump it on, but fortunately it went out
Old 11-28-2010, 02:56 AM   #10
dmartin1

LOL thats always an idea, except my P.O.S didnt even have a tank in there lol.

all in all glad the trucks not burnt to the ground and you guys got it back!
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
dbmx66

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmartin1 View Post
LOL thats always an idea, except my P.O.S didnt even have a tank in there lol.

all in all glad the trucks not burnt to the ground and you guys got it back!
yea haha, its running again as of yesterday night haha
Old 11-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #12
csb#356

Man, you're really lucky you got it put out without a fire extinguisher. My shortbed got caught fire a few weeks and we unloaded all of the fire extinguishers in my house, as well as all my neighbors when finally we had to call the fire department. A new wiring harness later I almost have it fixed. I've learned my lesson though, I will always have a fire extinguisher behind my seat.
csb#356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #13
dbmx66

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb#356 View Post
Man, you're really lucky you got it put out without a fire extinguisher. My shortbed got caught fire a few weeks and we unloaded all of the fire extinguishers in my house, as well as all my neighbors when finally we had to call the fire department. A new wiring harness later I almost have it fixed. I've learned my lesson though, I will always have a fire extinguisher behind my seat.
damn man that really sucks. but then again we were franticly blowing and waving and everything haha. we prolly looked like a bunch of idiots. but then again it was worth it, cuz if it caught that fuel line which lead to the full tank of hich octane gas, that coulda been bad.

Last edited by dbmx66; 11-28-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
csb#356

yeah luckily the fire department came before it exploded. Its pretty frustrating to watch your truck sit the and burn with nothing else you can do. Once it started burning under the dash there was no stoppin it.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #15
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

If anyone does not have a break down story, they don't own a squrebody!!

Good luck repairing it.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:23 AM   #16
dbmx66

Quote:
yeah luckily the fire department came before it exploded. Its pretty frustrating to watch your truck sit the and burn with nothing else you can do. Once it started burning under the dash there was no stoppin it.
did you every get it fixed? or was it beyond repair?
Old 11-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #17
csb#356

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmx66 View Post
did you every get it fixed? or was it beyond repair?
It depends on your definition of beyond repair really. The body was still fine except the paint on the hood got burned so I decided to fix it. Everything in the cab was burned or melted so I stripped it down and painted it all up. Obviously it was going to need to be rewired so I got a painless wiring harness, which has actually been pretty painless so far to install. I was able to find a 76' at the junkyard that had most of the stuff I needed for the inside. (guages, heater vents, dash bezel, heater controls, etc.) So basically everything I need to get back on the road I have, I'm not gonna worry about carpet and things like that quite yet. For the engine new distributor, holley carb, hoses, fuel lines, valve cover are a little rough but usable, and theres some other little odds and ends that I'm discovering as I go. The engine compartment actually faired the best after all was said and done. Just some new paint on the firewall and it looks pretty good. I'm pretty close to getting it back on the road, I finished the wiring yesterday, but then it wouldn't turn over so I'm hoping the battery was just dead, I'm just gonna triple check everything today and see what happens.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #18
silvereagle07

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchemist View Post
If anyone does not have a break down story, they don't own a squrebody!!

Good luck repairing it.
I agree with that!

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:46 PM   #19
dbmx66

Quote:
It depends on your definition of beyond repair really. The body was still fine except the paint on the hood got burned so I decided to fix it. Everything in the cab was burned or melted so I stripped it down and painted it all up. Obviously it was going to need to be rewired so I got a painless wiring harness, which has actually been pretty painless so far to install. I was able to find a 76' at the junkyard that had most of the stuff I needed for the inside. (guages, heater vents, dash bezel, heater controls, etc.) So basically everything I need to get back on the road I have, I'm not gonna worry about carpet and things like that quite yet. For the engine new distributor, holley carb, hoses, fuel lines, valve cover are a little rough but usable, and theres some other little odds and ends that I'm discovering as I go. The engine compartment actually faired the best after all was said and done. Just some new paint on the firewall and it looks pretty good. I'm pretty close to getting it back on the road, I finished the wiring yesterday, but then it wouldn't turn over so I'm hoping the battery was just dead, I'm just gonna triple check everything today and see what happens.

well thats great. that your getting the stuff done to it, i just didnt know if yours like melted to the ground ( for lack of a better phrase)

but good luck with it man.