The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Rear leaf help

Hey guys tomorrow im tackling my rear leafs :S was wondering if there is any tricks or tips in removing a few leafs and putting in new center pins and u bolts.
Idealy i want to leave the main spring (the one attached to the shackles) in the truck and try and do it that way or am i just asking fro trouble?

Thanks Dru

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414892
1tonchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Rear leaf help

Soak your U-bolts in WD-40 or whatever penetrating oil you prefer over night. I use two large C-clamps on either side of the U-bolts to hold everything together. Drop the axle and remove the center pin, then slowly release the pressure on the C-clamps.

Your going to need a new center pin, and its also recommended to replace U-bolts while your at it.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
Mkcustums

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonchevy View Post
Hey guys tomorrow im tackling my rear leafs :S was wondering if there is any tricks or tips in removing a few leafs and putting in new center pins and u bolts.
Idealy i want to leave the main spring (the one attached to the shackles) in the truck and try and do it that way or am i just asking fro trouble?

Thanks Dru
You have to keep the main leaf, but are you just wanting to run it alone? If that's the case don't.
Mkcustums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Soak your U-bolts in WD-40 or whatever penetrating oil you prefer over night. I use two large C-clamps on either side of the U-bolts to hold everything together. Drop the axle and remove the center pin, then slowly release the pressure on the C-clamps.

Your going to need a new center pin, and its also recommended to replace U-bolts while your at it.
oh yeah i'm losing over 14 leafs i had new center bolts and u bolts made today

Old 12-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkcustums View Post
You have to keep the main leaf, but are you just wanting to run it alone? If that's the case don't.
I want to make this mess "Stock" maby minus a leaf or two it's an ex tow truck and it will never tow with a wheel lift again so stock is what i'm after.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
Mkcustums

Ok that makes me feel a lot better, I've seen WAY too many people run just one leaf, being a 1 ton I was hoping that's not what you meant.

What N2TRUX said is right, soak them up pretty good, they look pretty rusty so you might use a little heat on them if needed. Just don't get too carried away and catch anything on fire. Worse case just cut them off. Use as many jack stands as possible, that's gonna be a lot of weight coming down, be carefull!!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Ok that makes me feel a lot better, I've seen WAY too many people run just one leaf, being a 1 ton I was hoping that's not what you meant.

What N2TRUX said is right, soak them up pretty good, they look pretty rusty so you might use a little heat on them if needed. Just don't get too carried away and catch anything on fire. Worse case just cut them off. Use as many jack stands as possible, that's gonna be a lot of weight coming down, be carefull!!
LOL i'm crazy but not that crazy! So to clarify my original question do i have to detach my main spring from the truck to do this?

The way i was thinking of doing it ( feel free to correct me if it's not a good idea)

-Leave the truck on the ground Block ALL tires,

-Undo/cut the u bolts out Jack the truck up as to relieve pressure from the springs (have them clamped of course) than undo the center pins remove leafes as needed (lots lol) and re install everything.

it sounds good im my head but i just want to make sure. it's a learning experience for me.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
wyattglock

Quote:
LOL i'm crazy but not that crazy! So to clarify my original question do i have to detach my main spring from the truck to do this?

The way i was thinking of doing it ( feel free to correct me if it's not a good idea)

-Undo/cut the u bolts out Jack the truck up as to relieve pressure from the springs (have them clamped of course) than undo the center pins remove leafes as needed (lots lol) and re install everything.

it sounds good im my head but i just want to make sure. it's a learning experience for me.
That would probably work. However, I would do like N2Trux said and use a couple of c-clamps also. Cant be to safe when working with springs of any kind! When I added a leaf to my 97 Z-71, I was inserting it in the center of the stack and used the c-clamp method to help the jacks relieve the pressure. Just make sure you take your time and dont rush and you should be fine.
Lots of oil, Kano labs sells Kroil. I use it every day on engines that are rusty from non-use and sitting outside, great stuff! PB Blaster is more readily available, still pretty good, just use lots of it!
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattglock View Post
That would probably work. However, I would do like N2Trux said and use a couple of c-clamps also. Cant be to safe when working with springs of any kind! When I added a leaf to my 97 Z-71, I was inserting it in the center of the stack and used the c-clamp method to help the jacks relieve the pressure. Just make sure you take your time and dont rush and you should be fine.
Lots of oil, Kano labs sells Kroil. I use it every day on engines that are rusty from non-use and sitting outside, great stuff! PB Blaster is more readily available, still pretty good, just use lots of it!
Thanks for all the advise guys! I feel a bit more comfortable doing this now worse thing happens i can go get my buddy from up the road. hes great at this stuff.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:39 AM   #10
Mkcustums

Quote:

100's of ways to do it but don't cut or remove anything til everything is completely supported.

If you have never done this Google or Youtube a few movies and see how people do it, it's not a big deal but that's a lot of weight that can hurt you or your friend if you don't really know what to expect.

I quickly typed in "rear leaf spring removal" and got this watch a few of these so you get an idea. This is a 3 + 1 rear leaf setup on a half ton (light in comparison) and watch how fast it drops, you have an 11 + 1 and another 10 or so, (don't exactly remember the count but VERY heavy) but I think you get my point. I know you're not lifting your truck but its the removal instructions you're looking for.

I'm not trying to sound like your mom but I don't want anyone getting hurt either. Just take your time and be safe! If you have any questions post back and ask, everyone here is always welcome to help!!

Last edited by Mkcustums; 12-23-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:49 AM   #11
Mkcustums

On a side note, are you leaving the doubled up frame support and massive crossmember?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:01 AM   #12
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
100's of ways to do it but don't cut or remove anything til everything is completely supported.

If you have never done this Google or Youtube a few movies and see how people do it, it's not a big deal but that's a lot of weight that can hurt you or your friend if you don't really know what to expect.

I quickly typed in "rear leaf spring removal" and got this YouTube - Chevy Truck Lift Kit Installation : Chevy Truck: Removing Rear Suspension watch a few of these so you get an idea. This is a 3 + 1 rear leaf setup on a half ton (light in comparison) and watch how fast it drops, you have an 11 + 1 and another 10 or so, (don't exactly remember the count but VERY heavy) but I think you get my point. I know you're not lifting your truck but its the removal instructions you're looking for.

I'm not trying to sound like your mom but I don't want anyone getting hurt either. Just take your time and be safe! If you have any questions post back and ask, everyone here is always welcome to help!!
Thanks for the video i was you tubeing a few last night and found one a guy did on a dodge but he didn't show "him dismantling it. lol and it's ok i under stand you can never be to safe. I'm just glad i know more of what to exspect now.

As for the huge "cross member" it's actually part of the old wheel lift when it had a wrecker on it. and is long gone (What a PITA!!!!!) the bottom double upped frame support i dont think will be an issue but if it is i will be cutting out if need be. alright wish me luck boys! and i hope i dont make it too the emergency room! hahaha

Later Dru

p.s will take lots of pics!

Old 12-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #13
Mkcustums

Hey, you said lots of pics so if you get too crazy (which I encourage) do a build thread, everyone loves those!! This place has a thing for pic addicted people!!

Last edited by Mkcustums; 12-23-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
bigblock73
yeller

Do yourself a favor, just cut the u-bolts off...will save you HOURS of time...lol. One cut is all that is needed, at the very bottom...then just pry them sideways and out of the way...they slide right out.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #15
Mkcustums

^^ or just turn your gun up and shear them off, takes about 1 second. That's by far the easiest if you have one.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #16
bigblock73
yeller

I didn't, dont
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #17
Mkcustums

Since he is doing this for the first time I wouldn't recommend it, usually gets people walking away fast.

Last edited by Mkcustums; 12-23-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #18
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

LOL I LIVED! yay! all said an Done the truck is 2.5 inch lower and rides ALOT better!

Pics in the link in sig

Last edited by 1tonchevy; 12-23-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #19
wyattglock

Quote:
LOL I LIVED! yay! all said an Done the truck is 2.5 inch lower and rides ALOT better!

Pics in the link in sig
Outstanding! Good to hear it ended well. I am sure it does ride a lot better after seeing the pic you posted with the leaf stack from h3ll!!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #20
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Outstanding! Good to hear it ended well. I am sure it does ride a lot better after seeing the pic you posted with the leaf stack from h3ll!!
lol it was the stck from H3LL! even after C clamping and jacking it up and such when i cut the u bolts it still kicked back really bad :Sbut no ones hurt and we still have all our fingers! oh only causality was a brand new set of C clamps Bent them to h3ll so i took em back and got new ones no charge lol

Old 12-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #21
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

So got to finaly drive the truck over 100km after the work. my step dad is telling em since i "dropped" it the drive shaft at the hanger bearing is being "pushed" in? when i drive the truck it seems fine? the truck sits closer to stock now. idk any thoughts?

Old 12-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #22
wyattglock

It might have changed the pinion angle a little bit, which would cause the driveshaft to look pushed in at the carrier bearing. Not sure what the correct angle for the pinion is, but it might be worth checking that out. Taking out the extra spring stack is just shortening the length from the rear differential to the carrier bearing. It could still be ok, just closer to the factory set angle. I would be interested to know what the numbers should be for the angle on the rear diff on a stock truck like ours.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #23
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
It might have changed the pinion angle a little bit, which would cause the driveshaft to look pushed in at the carrier bearing. Not sure what the correct angle for the pinion is, but it might be worth checking that out. Taking out the extra spring stack is just shortening the length from the rear differential to the carrier bearing. It could still be ok, just closer to the factory set angle. I would be interested to know what the numbers should be for the angle on the rear diff on a stock truck like ours.
i got a second today and crawled under the truck and looked at how it's sitting now it kinda looks like it's "tilted up" but very slight angle (will get pics Tomorrow) but dosnt look like it will bind or anyhting like that.... Hmm