The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #26
zammer
Addicted user

Re: K5/JIMMY - Alarms/Security? Whats Your Setup?

One thing I am going to do also is hide a manual brake line valve to keep the rear wheels locked up with my rear disk brakes... BY this i mean when you park, you apply the brake on hard and then close the hidden valve which keeps hydraulic pressure on the rear brakes so its not gunna go anywhere, the truck will stall etc and make it a bit tougher to move.. I think it will work great, it can also be used as a park brake with or without a cable brake setup..

Of course it may not be for everyone, as some people may not find it safe with having a valve in their brake line system but this is not for my daily driver either, its my weekend rod... ( 1971 2wd blazer )

I picked up a proper high pressure barke valve from summit for around $60

Kris
zammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #27
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I run a decent alarm and a grant removable steering wheel... Try and drive that blazer with no steering wheel what a handfull that is..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #28
bigeasycigars

^bump
Old 01-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #29
rads42

Since this got bumped, and I know everyone on this site including me loves pictures, I figured I'd post a couple of my tuffy install.
Attached Images

rads42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:06 AM   #30
AlaskaMatt

I have not had to do this, but a simple one would be to just pull the ignition wire to the dizzy. It's not real visible back behind the air cleaner and carb so it's not likely that a thief will figure that out real quick. Plugs right back and you are off and running.

EDIT: Should mention that I have the Tuffy center console as well. Great setup, and the newer ones appear to have an even better locking mechanism.

Matt

My Website

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 01-07-2011 at 03:38 PM.
AlaskaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:46 AM   #31
bigeasycigars

I love my stock center console but am going to go Tuffy Stereo as well. Thanks for the pic.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #32
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasycigars View Post
Has anyone installed a hood latch locking system that works? Here is an example of what I might try.
Amazon.com: Megatronix - HL35 - 3.5 Foot Mechanical Hood Lock Cable With Ignition Interrupt, For Vans And Mini Vans: Automotive they do make one with a longer cable that will fit.
Amazon.com: Megatronix - HL6 - 6 Foot Mechanical... Amazon.com: Megatronix - HL6 - 6 Foot Mechanical...
6 foot cable.... $65
7 foot cable.... $75

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #33
screamin_c10
I dun gradjiated collij!!!

Bob
Attached Images

screamin_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #34
snowblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by rads42 View Post
Since this got bumped, and I know everyone on this site including me loves pictures, I figured I'd post a couple of my tuffy install.
Nice Rads.

I've been planning to go the same rought now for some time. What model/dimensions is that Tuffy? Can you fit the cup holders to the front or is it too close to the hump/transfer shifter?

'72 Jimmy Build
snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #35
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rads42 View Post
Now you just need some pockets on the sides to hold those seat belts. Wouldn't be hard to do.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #36
pound41

I have a toggle switch under the seat that kills the dist. As for a radio just got a cranking old from the 80's/90's high end jvc with an aux on the front to plug in a ipod. Had one when it was brand new cost $ 180 back then. The radio will be strapped inside to the firewall good thing about the radio looking old most don't know what it is and probably would leave it alone anyway
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #37
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by pound41 View Post
I have a toggle switch under the seat that kills the dist. As for a radio just got a cranking old from the 80's/90's high end jvc with an aux on the front to plug in a ipod. Had one when it was brand new cost $ 180 back then. The radio will be strapped inside to the firewall good thing about the radio looking old most don't know what it is and probably would leave it alone anyway
I try to make it more difficult for a would be theif, he is going to be there a while trying to figure it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
On my cars I use several different deterents on each car.

The famous toggle switch for the ignition is a good idea, but if the toggle is found it's a simple flip of the switch for a thief, so I like to make it a bit harder. I use a key switch. Key stays in it while it's on, but when I turn it off I pull the key and take it with me.
Even if the switch is found, you would have to remove and disassemble it to jump wires, which takes more time.

Not only that, but I always run a second switch in each car that does the same thing, and hide that one some where else. So you have to find 2 of them

On the manual shift cars I run a third switch through the neutral safety, so if the ignition switches are found, the car still won't start

On the cars that have electric fuel pumps I use an inconspicuous toggle switch to activate the pump, such as a rear window defog switch for example. Right in plain site and looks factory, but it runs the fuel pump Although the car will run for about 20 seconds from fuel in the float bowls, the thief probably wouldn't get out of the parking lot, and when the car dies for no reason, chances are good they will get out and leave before drawing attention to themselves.

The cars with MSD digital 6 boxes also have a rotory switch that will disable the box and the car won't start.

I've used aftermarket alarms in the past with some success too, but I would rather have several kill switches on the car. Pretty much the only way I can see my junk stolen is if they put it on a hook and tow it out. But 99% of the time I never park the cars where I cannot keep an eye on them.

Edit: I converted our blazer to an inside hood release as well, taken from a late 70's pickup truck. My 79 has it factory which gave me the idea to adapt one.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #38
rads42

I don't remember the model number of the tuffy that I bought but I'd be happy to get some dimensions for you next time I see the blazer (it's in storage for the winter). The cup holders were too close to the hump to use. I could have mounted it further back and used them but then it was no good for an arm rest. I mounted the cup holders to the rear of the tuffy and just put my drinks back there. Its still really close so its no problem.

Last edited by rads42; 02-10-2011 at 11:51 PM.
rads42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #39
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

there are options out there... check ebay in the motorcycle and boat section...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #40
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmlxix View Post
there are options out there... check ebay in the motorcycle and boat section...

That's an interesting cup holder. If that clamp was large enough to clamp onto the roll bar in the rear, I could have some cup holders for rear passengers. My son has been bugging me for some cup holders back there.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #41
AlaskaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind View Post
Nice Rads.

I've been planning to go the same rought now for some time. What model/dimensions is that Tuffy? Can you fit the cup holders to the front or is it too close to the hump/transfer shifter?
The tuffy I have has the cup holders on the front and they don't interfere with anything. I don't have the radio slot so it's likely a couple of inches shorter.

The main difference I see it that mine is mounted on 4 posts up about four inches off the floor, that may make all the difference. I don't know if that was a tuffy option or done later. It was a previous owner install. Nice thing for me is that the base for my Ham radio is mounted to the underside of the tuffy. It has a remote faceplace so it works out perfectly for me.

Matt

My Website

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 02-11-2011 at 08:33 PM.
AlaskaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote