The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
freaknajeep

76 gmc swb from he--!!

so its like this...y'all have heard me go on about this truck and kept asking for some pics so here are a few basic ones too start...remember i said it aint much to look at yet...upon purchasing my truck for 400$ i thought i had gotten a deal.. i only had time for a quick look before saving it from salvage yard the wrecker was allready on the way...after getting it home and inder the microscope i found "cancer in the floors, more additional wiring than i thought was possible.. someone had removed the original inline 6 to install a smallblock.since they didnt know you could/had to move the motor mounts they just unbolted the plate from passenger side of block and let it lay on its side...thinking they were slick they added a chain to hold it down but put it on same side as the mount that was bolted in...looks like the hole in the tunnel for 3spd shifter was cut with a sledgehammer and a crowbar..when i picked up the truck to bring it home the 3spd trans was in the bed and i found an auto and torque converter in bushes so i grabbed it too..it was a 200-4r...after the major inspection and gutting of the interior and almost all of the "aftermarket wiring" i put a battery in and took a gamble and turned the key and pushed the button..the motor turned over and with a little priming started..i let it run for about a minute and turned it off only to hear dripping water...it was coming from every where..left side, right side, back, front, every where every freeze plug was completely rusted out...so i pulled the motor installed brass plugs, corrected the mounting with new mounts in correct location, gave it a new oil pan gasket since i had it out beside there was a dent in oil pan i had to fix...gave about 2 seconds to the thought of stripping and painting the motor but nah not yet...put it back into the truck with the 200-4r trans, called up bowtie overdrive got all the wiring and went to fill it up and see if it would move nope DENIED...apparently someone had jammed the pump..so once again back on the net for parts..put a 13 vane upgrade kit in and put trans back in and yeeha it moved...in the process of putting all new brakes and soon all poly in suspension got to make it stick to curvy country roads..oh yeah and the multi sized, 57 welds, blown glasspack havin exhaust, sounded like crap so i picked up a complete 2010 nissan titan exhaust and with 3 cuts grafted it in now it sounds much much better...now i got 1 bucket seat from some kind of car no floor no dash no tunes but it will take me to the beer store...lol more upgrade to come soon along with cosmetic work and lots of new pics i hope
Name:  DSCF0190.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  69.5 KB
ive been doing some testing with rattle can first to see what colors i want...lol
Name:  DSCF0191.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  71.7 KB

Name:  DSCF0192.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  73.2 KB
heres my 72 datsun 240z
Name:  DSCF0188.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  66.0 KB
and cant leave out the jeep...just removed exo and emptied out the carriers to get bigger gears and moved the front axle forward 4 more inches for better approach
Name:  DSCF0195.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  93.0 KB
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
J Knight

Re: 76 gmc swb from he--!!

Not bad for $400. You just saved a square from the crusher. Your my hero!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
freaknajeep

ok heres some more pics from interior and engine bay
Name:  DSCF0201.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  64.0 KB
"flintstonin"
Name:  DSCF0204.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  DSCF0203.jpg
Size:  59.9 KB
crappy tired old ugly 350...seems to run pretty good tho
Name:  DSCF0200.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  71.5 KB
still a little "aftermarket wiring to clean up"
Name:  DSCF0199.jpg
Size:  70.0 KB
once i have everything mechanical and electrical is working ill tear it all down for clean up and cosmetics....
Old 07-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #4
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Those floors remind me of my truck and the Six Million Dollar Man tv show from the '70s:

" We can rebuild him..."

Great progress so far! Keep it up!!

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Cue-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonr1973 View Post
Those floors remind me of my truck and the Six Million Dollar Man tv show from the '70s:

" We can rebuild him..."
I was thinking more along the lines of The Flintstones.
Cue-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #6
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

is that a 850 i spot behind the jeep thing

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
freaknajeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmtGmt View Post
is that a 850 i spot behind the jeep thing

yes...its a 93 model...wish i had known about the parts issues with 93's...3 years ago i hydralocked the motor, and bent a rod...so i tore it down checked everything, cleaned up the pistons and rings using acetone and trans fluid mixture...threw a set of rod bearings and 1 new rod at it, literally reused everything else except gaskets..and shes still rocketing down the road
Old 08-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
freaknajeep

well finally got a working radiator...fabbed in one from a 86 k-5...original radiator had 29 rows and 2 cores where as the new one has 50 rows with 2 cores...now i need front rotors and ill finally be able to drive it and dial in my tv cable for my overdrive...on a different note i finally brought my 78 fs bronco back home from tn....the c-6 has given up the ghost and wont back up n e more....gonna do some clean up and metal repair on the floors and will have more pics n a couple days ......cheers till then
Old 08-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #9
freaknajeep

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwv yeahhhhh more pics............ my other trucks....however the jeep is moving to a new shell
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
freaknajeep

well took the first maiden voyage away from home in the gmc today...went to the scrapyard...got enough spare change to get more parts...yay
Old 08-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
freaknajeep

well finally got the front side of the core support all cleaned up and painted, i really wish one of my headlight bezels didnt have a small crack but hey whatever...the nasty grill cleaned up ok but will get an aftermarket grill at some point...oh yeah n finaly got timing close to correct...cant really tell for surre as untill teardown i wont know what if any type of cam i have...doesnt seem to idle like it has one so im guessing its close or is stock.....will post some pics in a bit