The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #51
kieth

Re: Tonneau cover pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazattitude View Post
Looks great! I should be getting my Gaylords in sometime within the next week or two.
Glad to see it worked out for you!!!
By the way, nice truck!!!

Thanks, it cost about $300.00 with freight, I think we have figured out a really simple way to secure the tonneau down with a 1" strap and some quick release buckles.........simple is better, it will not be really secure but it will allow me to get to my fuel filler in the rear of the bed without dropping the tailgate. I have found out of sight out of mind.......usually keeps the thieves from being tempted. Kieth

ps thanks for the compliment, yours looks great as well I think I am going to get a tag for my truck "Going Green" or how about "It ain't easy being green ? b
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #52
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

it really looks good, and for the price, you can't complain I just have never been too fond of those ribs you see through the soft covers. I wanted a hard cover for my '61... but maybe this is the way to go to save some coin.
Dustin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #53
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin07 View Post
it really looks good, and for the price, you can't complain I just have never been too fond of those ribs you see through the soft covers. I wanted a hard cover for my '61... but maybe this is the way to go to save some coin.
$1200.00 for a gaylord..........and that is the only one around.....Kieth

I only wanted one so I have some trunk room no place in the cab to put anything much. I am installing a aluminum tool box so things will not roll around and rubber floor mats to save the stainless steel and the wood. The tonneau will also keep the leaves and rain out. I did figure out how to quick release it so the tailgate does not have to be dropped to put gas in it or some incidental items.........I used a 1" strap from the back tonneau rail, added more strap and a buckle system on the inside of the truck, dropped the strap through the slot for the tailgate and then added a quick release buckly down by the liscense plate. No more unchaining the gate and it only cost about $2.00 Kieth
Old 11-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #54
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

yeah I am 100% on the same page there. after suspension is done I want nice bed wood again too, and living in the wonderful pacific northwest, rain protection is a MUST.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #55
kieth

Found a couple of things today, installed my quick release strap for the tonneau cover......here are the pictures.......it was really tough and expensive.

All you do when you need gas is to release the buckle at the liscense plate, lift the tonneau, unsnap it from the inside, fill up with gas, snap it all back in place. Sure beats lowering the tailgate.......Kieth We will figure out something more expensive and complicated later and then sell it for a million dollars....ha ha.....Kieth

Name:  tonn30strap.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  tonn31strap.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  tonn33strap.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  55.8 KB

Name:  tonn34strap.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  82.2 KB

In some of the shots above you will see a rubbermat, I picked up 2 of them today at tractor supply recycled rubber 4' x 6' $20.00 I am going to make a rubber floor mat for my bed out of them......Kieth
Old 11-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #56
kieth

Here is a better shot of that 6' x 4' mat from tractor supply

Name:  bedmat01.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  55.8 KB

Not bad for $20.00---they wiegh 80lbs each so it will help with the traction and ride in the rear....
Old 11-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #57
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

did you use trex?? also... I don't see your gas tank! lol
Old 11-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #58
kieth

Quote:
did you use trex?? also... I don't see your gas tank! lol

No just #2 pine painted with chasis saver paint and then top coated with uv resistant enamel. The fuel tank filler door is under all the stuff in the bed.....

when we install the rubber mat as a floor we will make a cut out for the fuel tank door.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #59
kieth

Here is the final shot of my gmc with the new rubber mats installed in my 66 swb fleetside gmc, added a tool box that I got off of craigs list for $75.00. Now no more dirty bed wood, no leaves, etc. and we have a place to store stuff while keeping it dry and out of sight. I think it came out pretty nice for not much money. I am very impressed with the Craftec tonneau cover, my bed stays nice and dry, and the stealth tie down system works like a champ......and it was inexpensive. Kieth

Name:  tonn21rearshot.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  tonn32rearopen.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  tonn34strap.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  tonn41bedmat.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  36.0 KB

Name:  tonn44intbox.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  31.0 KB

The tonneau, tool box, and bed mat can be removed in a matter of minutes it we want to show off the bed floor and ss hardware.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #60
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

your gas tank install is exactly how I want to do mine. I think your whole setup here may be how I go, thanks for sharing the info and pics!

how well latched is that cover, like in a wind storm? we get nasty nasty wind here as my town is right at the base of the mountain pass.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #61
kieth

Quote:
your gas tank install is exactly how I want to do mine. I think your whole setup here may be how I go, thanks for sharing the info and pics!

how well latched is that cover, like in a wind storm? we get nasty nasty wind here as my town is right at the base of the mountain pass.
There are 2 interior latches one could apply that would hold it down better, but so far the simple strap has held up just fine. If you were worried about it one could install 2 straps.........farther toward the outside.......so far it has worked like a champ for filling the tank getting into the toolbox or just putting something in the bed........ the gas struts actually break over center and apply a down force on the cover so the strap is just to keep the cover from getting started going up. I know this it beats the heck out of $1200.00 for a fiberglass cover. (when others only cost $600.00)