The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #26
Chevette

Re: Newbie Needs Help Finding Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Alum View Post
Hello Everyone-

I'm new to the site but have been stalking a while. I have to admit, I have been a member of many car sites in the past and the friendliness, willingness to help, camaraderie that everyone has here is amazing! Kudos!

I have gotten the itch to rehab/restore a 2nd series truck. I am not a big fan of the Apache or Fleetside styles. I'd like to rehab the truck enough to be a daily driver until I get a bigger home and garage to do a full frame off. I like original, so numbers matching would be preferred (I don't even know where the VIN codes are on the frame/body or the motor).

For the longest time I thought I would get a 60-66 C10 until I stumbled on this design. The elegance, curves, headlights, hood... I just fell in love. My problem just seems to be finding one. These things are rare. My budget is in the $5000 range for the truck and I'm wondering what you guys think I could get for that amount. I could also use some help with sites for listings of old trucks. I have searched all of craigslist in the southeast, HAMB, stovebolt, ebay, autotrader classics and haven't found much closeby. Anyone else have hiding spots they check regularly?

Does anyone have any experience shipping trucks across the country? Should I fly out to look at it first? How much does it cost to ship across a few states?

Sorry for the long message, but I have exhausted my internet searching abilities. I currently reside in the Tampa Bay area of Florida.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Have a look at this. Needs a lot of body work, but it would make a nice truck. Great stance. That is, if you could pick it up at the right price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1957-...70b48176#v4-42
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #27
JumboAMONGus

oh check this one out i seen on craiglist i called the guy its been sitting under a tree protected he said for 27 years and in his garage the last 2 years ,,http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/2771471131.html thats if your into panels
JumboAMONGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #28
Rude Dude

Here is one looks like the Cab is done and suspension Mustang II and Ford 9 inch

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...782071302.html
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #29
Chevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dude View Post
Here is one looks like the Cab is done and suspension Mustang II and Ford 9 inch

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...782071302.html

The hood looks like HEdoublehockeysticks.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #30
Gator Alum

Thanks guys for all the leads and shout out to _Ogre for all the info.

I'm not really into panels at all. I guess I'll just keep searching Craigslist everyday. LOL.
Gator Alum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #31
Gator Alum

Thoughts on this one?
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/2865079796.html

Buyer says "price is firm if i come down on the price i would be keeping the chrome parts, brake booster and oak planks for the bed to make up the diff. that price is what i have invested in this truck with out counting any labor.not tryin to be rude or anything but this truck will be worth about 30k when finished its only a few grand away from that point. int.body work and paint if i can't get the 6500 out of it i will sit on it til li'm in a little better position."
Old 03-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #32
jfnar

Prices vary in different regions but if it's close enough that you can check it out and everything the owner says is true it's not too bad. It's a lot more than a couple of grand away from a $30k truck though.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #33
Gator Alum

Anybody else with thoughts? I am going to go look at it on Sunday.

I think it's funny when people say 'It's only a few thousand away from being worth $30k'... I would gladly spend $5k to make $30k every day of the week.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #34
_Ogre

i'd go look at it, if not to buy, just to look at what is out there.
from his first line, i'd say the roof was rusty. did he replace it or just fill it?
surface rust isn't a problem but when you have rusty frames and pillars, it can be a beotch.
everyone takes pictures anymore, have him show you the restore pics.

feel inside at the top of the headlites for rust/bondo/shoddy repairs
look under the floors, cab corners x4 and general looks of any repairs made.
around windshield, back window, cowl vent.
i'm not a chrome fan, he could keep all of his pricey chrome parts.

depending on the level of fit and finish you want: at a minimum the whole truck will need to be blown apart to be painted.
the frame/drivetrain probably needs to be rebuilt; king pins, shackles or updated to newer gear for driveability.

that said; if the sheet metal is good, it's worth $5k imo.
it won't sell fast, you can look and head home to think about it and look around some more.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #35
Gator Alum

I've been scouring the web for 2 months looking for a truck just about every day. I stumbled across one in Alabama that I am flying up to see and hopefully purchase. Thank goodness for frequent flyer miles. I land at like 11am and have a 4:30pm flight back home to Tampa. It's going to be a long day. I have to drive the truck 25 miles without rear brakes to my friend's house where it will be garaged until I can arrange to get it down to Tampa. Keep your fingers crossed it is a purchase and an uneventful road trip. Seller says it has been in a basement for 10 years and his uncle had it for the 6-7 years before that. Doesn't seem too bad for $4,500.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #36
1project2many

That truck seems extremely good for $4500. The body gaps aren't visibly wrong, cab corner, rocker, and lower fender shapes appear correct, and small details like the tailgate chain protectors are in place. Even appears to have an original optional seat belt and radio. Definitely worth consideration.

BTW, if you remove the hood and fender emblems and carefully apply some white paint, you can give your new four eyes a set of glasses.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #37
_Ogre

looks like a nice unmolested 59, hopefully the pics don't lie and you'll be the proud new owner of an 4 eyed apache
everything you never hoped for,
and a hopeful welcome to the 4eyes club

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #38
azsnow

If you can come up with $4500 more, I know where you can get a 55 Cameo that is just about on the road!
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote