The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #26
CC69Rat

Re: Did anyone see this

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardreams View Post
would love to know then why does my big block get 17 MPG not 9 like they say
Amen brother ..

I don't understand how I could go and buy a 2013 Silverado today, and drive it home getting ~18mpg with the LS engine and whatever tranny.

Pull the same engine out, and put some performance mods, cam, headers, and 800 more horses out of the LS, and now it gets 25mpg ?

I'm not trying to start a pissin match here, but I'm thinking maybe some of the younger folks need to drive a built big block before they comment on the magical LS setups? I saw and heard the comments too .. (quoting the dark haired guy on HP) ' We are going to remove this Big Block and hopefully sell it for as much money as possible to get as much or maybe more power with a later model setup.

If LS engines 'pull harder than any Big Block ever dreamed of' .. Why do you see them on Pass Time? 468 / 600+ Cubic inch big blocks in 95% of the cars. An occasional LS ? It's about the tourqe fellas. Seat of the pants power. Now I give credit where the credit is due (LS engines are brutal too) .. But dont under estimate the big cube motors. Carb to carb, Turbo to Turbo .. call it what you will. Power is power and it takes gas to make it.

Bottom line I had my 396 (now 408 ci) left over from a 69 Camaro build. IF it kills me on gas I'll consider the LS package, absolutely. I understand fuel injection, I understand gearing, transmissions, stall speed, cams, .. I get it.

What I dont understand is how a 2005 Silverado for example is rated at 14/18mpg. If I pulled that same engine out and made it what I wanted it to be, I don't think it would still get 18mpg. (I'm using the Silverado for weight factor too) Yep, it's rated at 16/26 mpg for the Corvette BUT the ZO6 for example would weigh a lot less than the C10 / Silverado.

I hope I didn't chap anyone, It was not my intentions. My point is I agree, it's kinda goofy to me to just fill all the big blocks with concrete and sink them to the bottom of the ocean just because the LS setup gives us 5mpg. more (?) I'll stop now. Please, convince me I'm wrong if you choose to do so. .. and what, the $4k it takes to get me to a built LS with computer and the other stuff I need? I have two trucks. My big block is stayin, but I could put the LS in my GMC. .. (??) I'm asking.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #27
67sss

Someone should contact the "people" on the show, so they could see what REAL truck owners think of what they're getting ready to do. Who knows maybe they'll use some parts from our board supported vendors!
67sss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #28
CC69Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post
..the guys on Trucks TV might not want to build a nose heavy pig that plow the north forty before the tires try to turn in.
Ok, .. Nm. I'm out guys. Later. Where's that unsubscribe button again ?

Good luck to all.

1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
Old 06-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #29
1972BackInBlackC10

i think the reason why you dont see ls motors more yet is because they re still relatively new, and also parts are not cheap for them either as we all know,
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #30
PHAT TONY

I'll be interested to see what the outcome is compared to Copperhead; the little blonde dude did the body/paint on that one. I think this will be fairly mild in comparison.
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #31
nate_g_2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAT TONY View Post
I'll be interested to see what the outcome is compared to Copperhead; the little blonde dude did the body/paint on that one. I think this will be fairly mild in comparison.
That's crazy. I never knew Kevin Tetz did the paint/body on Copperhead. I still like Stacy David over Kevin Tetz, but I finally have SPEED so I can watch Gearz now haha.
2005 Ford F150 Lariat SCrew 2WD "The Daily Driver" SOLD
1995 GMC Sierra C1500 SLE "The Daily Driver"SOLD
2003 Ford Ranger Edge 2DSC 2WD Flareside "The Daily Driver/Project"SOLD
nate_g_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #32
Beersnob

Does nobody complain about Copperhead? Talk about all the best gear put into one truck.

I think this one will be interesting. I'm looking forward to the build even though I doubt I'll ever have the budget or desire to build anything close. I definitely don't like the idea of getting rid of the big block in lieu of an LS motor, although I understand why they're doing it. The shows on Spike tend to focus on the latest trends in motorsports, not the traditional ways of doing things. I'm really big in to rock crawling and Xtreme tends to do the same thing. They'll spend thousands building a one-off axle or chassis just to show folks what can be done.

Just remember that what is cutting edge now will be common place in a few years. Just look at things like V8 S-10s and supercharged Mustangs. Back when I was in high school, those were considered the ultimate in cool. Now, they are coming from the factory with stuff like that.

Not everyone has the budget to build a 500 or 600 HP LS motor for their vehicle or buy a $15K crate 572, but you can take the tips and tricks they use and personalize it to your own vehicle. That's what Stacey David said about Copperhead. You may not go to that extreme, but here are some custom things you can do to set your truck apart from others.
Beersnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #33
PHAT TONY

I suppose one trend they're showing is old GM trucks; that show has already done one, not putting a crate Hemi in an old dodge pickup....
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
Old 06-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #34
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
..... I understand fuel injection, I understand gearing, transmissions, stall speed, cams, .. I get it.
My big block is stayin, but I could put the LS in my GMC. .. (??) I'm asking.
Since your asking, let me offer some insight. Yeah I know this is off topic, but here goes. The biggest advantage an LS motor has over a BBC is computer controlled fuel injection and timing.

Think back how hard it once was to make a truly streetable 500hp motor. It requires a lot of head work combined with a big cam all fed by a large carb that consumes massive quantities of very high octane fuel. Usually the fuel is not pump gas.

Try that same formula with an LS based motor and its cake. Building a 500 hp LS that runs on pump gas and can do it all day long with the a/c on is common as dirt. Its virtually impossible to replicate the same HP/TQ numbers on a streetable carbed motor. (Dead horse beating begins now)

As far as the MPG claims go, I still need to see that before I believe it. I don't understand how they are getting 25 mpg on an LS motor when GM cant do it.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #35
Beersnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Since your asking, let me offer some insight. Yeah I know this is off topic, but here goes. The biggest advantage an LS motor has over a BBC is computer controlled fuel injection and timing.

Think back how hard it once was to make a truly streetable 500hp motor. It requires a lot of head work combined with a big cam all fed by a large carb that consumes massive quantities of very high octane fuel. Usually the fuel is not pump gas.

Try that same formula with an LS based motor and its cake. Building a 500 hp LS that runs on pump gas and can do it all day long with the a/c on is common as dirt. Its virtually impossible to replicate the same HP/TQ numbers on a streetable carbed motor. (Dead horse beating begins now)

As far as the MPG claims go, I still need to see that before I believe it. I don't understand how they are getting 25 mpg on an LS motor when GM cant do it.
Yeah, but there's something cool about popping the hood and seeing the engine well filled with 454 cubic inches of pure sexiness! Oh, and when it's fired up, you know it's a big block.
Beersnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #36
CC69Rat

Blonde, Brunette, Readhead .. it's all a matter of preference really (IMO)

I unsubscribed yes, But still watching this one. I agree with everything that has been said and not beating a dead horse (not trying to anyway) I just love the sound of an ole Big Block. I guess I'm just old. And honestly I don't know enough about the LS stuff to even be talking about it. I have seen and owned an LS powered car and have seen a few tail lights.. and shown a few too. But to each their own I guess.

I will likely do an LS in my GMC but not until the 0010 block gives up. I'm with you, really. Original BB or not, the most for the $ is a no brainer. .. but, I just had this BB on a stand and ready to go. That's all. But, call my BB truck a pig AFTER you out run it. that's all I'm asking.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #37
nate_g_2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I think most of that comes from the computer controlled timing and injection, coupled with the fact that most FI systems run a decently high fuel pressure. The injectors can atomize fuel better/more efficently than a carb can. At least that's how I feel. Being 27, comp-controlled FI is what I've grown up with (aside from Dad's 74 pickup, and Mom's 87 Caprice, neither of which we ever tinkered with).
2005 Ford F150 Lariat SCrew 2WD "The Daily Driver" SOLD
1995 GMC Sierra C1500 SLE "The Daily Driver"SOLD
2003 Ford Ranger Edge 2DSC 2WD Flareside "The Daily Driver/Project"SOLD
nate_g_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #38
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I don't much care how someone else builds their ride.I can see them wanting to sell the parts,an inside source once told me that the bean counters are in charge.I can tell you for sure that the truck will never be a concours class vehicle like some Vettes but keeping one built in the current trend of muscle cars(updated brakes and safety with the cooooolll factor of a classic) still is the segment of the hobby that appeals to me and many others.That said,I think their plan is probably sound,though a little optimistic,I just wish they would use a more common model for a base.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #39
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Blonde, Brunette, Readhead .. it's all a matter of preference really (IMO)

I unsubscribed yes, But still watching this one. I agree with everything that has been said and not beating a dead horse (not trying to anyway) I just love the sound of an ole Big Block. I guess I'm just old. And honestly I don't know enough about the LS stuff to even be talking about it. I have seen and owned an LS powered car and have seen a few tail lights.. and shown a few too. But to each their own I guess.

I will likely do an LS in my GMC but not until the 0010 block gives up. I'm with you, really. Original BB or not, the most for the $ is a no brainer. .. but, I just had this BB on a stand and ready to go. That's all. But, call my BB truck a pig AFTER you out run it. that's all I'm asking.
My comment to the BB being a pig is not in the power department, it is about having 700 pounds of engine on the front tires. I don't believe anyone is saying that BB are not way cool (I know I am not) but an LS based engine is very cool and yes it can make tremendous amounts of power/torque too. The Ls can do this all and cut 200 pounds off the nose of a vehicle bring one closer to that ideal 50/50 weight balance. There is a good reason that Rob MacGregor is running an LS and not a BB in his truck. My point is more, watch to see what they do to get ideas and see what else is possible.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #40
CC69Rat

Things like heavier spring rate, custom fabbed engine mounts, all can help with the weight issue and balance, as well as aluminum heads, etc. My mounts move the engine back about .75" (73+ front end, etc.)

I know what you mean but the truck setup means a lot too when you're ripping through the cones is one thing but straight line power is another I guess.

No worries No offense taken. .. all in fun, and opinions that's what makes the world go around.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #41
406 Q-ship

Quote:
Things like heavier spring rate, custom fabbed engine mounts, all can help with the weight issue and balance, as well as aluminum heads, etc. My mounts move the engine back about .75" (73+ front end, etc.)

I know what you mean but the truck setup means a lot too when you're ripping through the cones is one thing but straight line power is another I guess.

No worries No offense taken. .. all in fun, and opinions that's what makes the world go around.

Good I don't want anyone to think that I believe anyone with a BB is less than those with an LS (or a small block for that matter). I love BB and really love the LS for some vehicles but I will always have the biggest sweet spot for a screamin' small block.

First round is on me.....

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #42
1972BackInBlackC10

just my opinion and thoughts please dont hang me lol i know some people think these guys are crazy for putting a ls into a factory big block truck, my thoughts are its not like they are taking the factory original motor out for this swap some other guy ruined that long before they came along (lets hunt that guy don lol) the good news is theres still plenty of factory big block trucks out there to be found and enjoyed

as for the ls.... alot of guys are interested in this swap and are intimidated or skeptical about it, maybe this build can shed some light on the topic and be resouceful since its video not pics and would be interesting to see where they source their parts from. i for one am interested to see how they go about the ls swap, will they go with the truck accessories or ones from a car alt ac pump etc, truck or car intake or how they go about wiring it all

small blocks, big block, ls they all have their pros and cons and everyone has their preferences but we all have one thing in common, our love for these trucks
thats one of the things that makes this board a great place to be and a great thing/family to be a part of, we have all seen countless big block and small block builds time for something a lil different and why not with one of the meanest if not the meanest truck ever built (depends who ya ask) lol

as for the rest of the build well...... time will tell but thats my 2 cents on the engine/factory big block truck part of it, i will go into hiding now lol
Old 06-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #43
trac209

Considering it costs the 'average joe'. Who doesn't magically have a stockpile of LS engines lying around an easy 4000 plus to do a complete swap it's just easier to stick with older gen v8's and pay more at the pump. My small block drinks fuel bad but I don't drive it every day and problably an LS engine wouldn't change that much anyhow. I'd rather just do a 700 r4 swap and gears to lessen the burden on my wallet. But man does it haul major you know what lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
trac209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:52 AM   #44
PHAT TONY

All this "swap and wiring fuel injection etc" talk, wouldn't it be funny if they used a single plane intake and a Holley carb?
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
Old 06-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #45
1972BackInBlackC10

i would laugh, probably a lil more since you made the comment haha
Old 06-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #46
68Stepbed

Intersting thread. I actually had mixed feelings about them swapping the BBC for an LS engine. In a way, I hated to see this done to a factory BB truck. At the same time, I'm interested to see what they come up with for the LS platform.

The reason nobody complained about Copperhead, is because Stacey David started with a basket case, no-optioned truck. He did what most of us would have done, had we had that kind of budget.

As for the SBC vs. BBC vs. LS debate, I still like them all. I've never had anything but SBCs and I'm a couple weeks away from finding out what the LS stuff is all about. I was actually in limbo on whether to go LS or BBC in my truck. I plan to do some autocrossing and spirited back roads driving, so the lighter LS platform just appealed more to what I wanted out of my truck. That's also what I understand about what they're saying on the "Trucks" build.

Something I will say about LS engines is how well they accept power mods. My LS1, which was rated at 320-350 hp from the factory, will be making over 400 RWHP through an auto trans from only a cam swap.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #47
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I've been watching Trucks for a few years now and I do agree they do push new parts but I've also seen them get stuff from a wrecker too. What I like about the show is that I've learned things and used that knowledge while working on my truck. As far as molesting an origianl big block short box, my feeling is when the money and title change hands the new owner can do with it as he/she wishes.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #48
rkn463

I have to say that I am a bit confused by all of the negative responses here. Personally I cringe every time I see someone on this board get a cool old unmolested truck and 15 people jump in yelling "slam it in the weeds!" To me a c-notch is one of the more evil things that has ever been done to a truck. I really don't see that an engine swap is as bad. If someone down the line wants to put it back then swap the motor mounts back and put that monster back in. It already doesn't have the numbers matching motor. Just my .02 and no offense meant to those who have lowered their trucks, they are yours to lower. In that same vein, that truck now belongs to them and is theirs to do with as they please. As for being shills for the parts suppliers, of course they are, who do you think pays for this stuff to be on TV? It is that or no car shows. Personally I'll keep watching.

-Richard
Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #49
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Parts sourcing will be LMC for trim and such.I suspect a LS from either a donor or GM performance and an aftermarket or donor tranny.LMC is one of their sponsors and probably made a deal for them to do a truck that they support.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #50
fast50ranger

I'm glad to see another C10 build. I have my DVR set to record.