The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #26
black_sheep454

Re: New Member- Just picked up a 1972 Cheyenne Super

That is an absolutely beautiful truck, congrats on the purchase and welcome to the best forum and truck community in the world.
Posted via Mobile Device
1988 chevy 1-ton crew cab 2wd waiting for a 12v cummins
black_sheep454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
1972SUPERSB

Thanks everyone for the compliments. When I see it in the garage I can't believe I have this truck. It has original 350 but someone changed the valve covers. Block and intake are orange I think that was the stock color not sure. Does anyone know about the bed rails? I was told the were a dealer installed item but wanna ask everybody here. Again thanks for the compliments. I am very excited about this site and all the info that is on here. Also had a question about this valve on the heater hose. It this factory or did someone add it and what is it for?
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

1972 Cheyenne Super SWB 350, Auto, Bucket Seats w/Console, Tach, Factory A/C, P/S ,P/B, Tilt

1998 Chevy 1500 Ext Cab 5.7, Pewter w/blue interior

Last edited by 1972SUPERSB; 09-24-2012 at 01:46 PM.
1972SUPERSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #28
Low Elco

Schweeet. Like the blue and white!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #29
1972SUPERSB

Thanks everyone for the compliments again. I bought it in Houston TX. My plans are to keep it pretty much original. I will prob replace the engine down the road when it needs it. First I will do a full brake job then probably rebuild the front end. I would like to put some torq thrust 2 wheels on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

1972 Cheyenne Super SWB 350, Auto, Bucket Seats w/Console, Tach, Factory A/C, P/S ,P/B, Tilt

Old 09-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #30
MacGyver72

What a great find. How is it that the seller of that truck isn't one of the members here??? Somehow got under the radar. I can't imagine anyone restoring one without help from this group here.

Welcome aboard from Indiana.
MacGyver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #31
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

Welcome and nice truck. To answer your questions on the woodgrain, both the dash bezel and glovebox door are reproduction woodgrain vinyl. The dash was woodgrain vinyl backed by a thin layer of plastic to smooth out the dash to keep from getting air bubbles from the textured plastic underneath. The glovebox door should match your door panel woodgrain as they were photoetched as well and not wrapped with vinyl. Your fender has been replaced before atleast on the driver's side as the SUPER emblem goes below the Cheyenne portion of the Cheyenne 10 emblem, it's a common mistake during restoration. Houndstooth was not an option for bucket seats, but they do wear better than all vinyl bucket seats in my opinion. It hasn't been verified if the bed rails were just a '73 on up model piece or if they were available during 72. There was a different version pictured in the accessory catalog. I am in no way trying to knock on the truck. It is a very nice truck, just helping you out on some little details you were asking about.
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #32
1972SUPERSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 View Post
Welcome and nice truck. To answer your questions on the woodgrain, both the dash bezel and glovebox door are reproduction woodgrain vinyl. The dash was woodgrain vinyl backed by a thin layer of plastic to smooth out the dash to keep from getting air bubbles from the textured plastic underneath. The glovebox door should match your door panel woodgrain as they were photoetched as well and not wrapped with vinyl. Your fender has been replaced before atleast on the driver's side as the SUPER emblem goes below the Cheyenne portion of the Cheyenne 10 emblem, it's a common mistake during restoration. Houndstooth was not an option for bucket seats, but they do wear better than all vinyl bucket seats in my opinion. It hasn't been verified if the bed rails were just a '73 on up model piece or if they were available during 72. There was a different version pictured in the accessory catalog. I am in no way trying to knock on the truck. It is a very nice truck, just helping you out on some little details you were asking about.
Thanks for the info. I figured someone had recovered the seats. I knew it had a paint job as well. Probably didn't position emblems correctly during that process. I'm sure down the road I will get a different paint job and will make this all correct. Do the door panels look original? I will prob repaint them blue since they have faded, but I wanna know if they are the factory woodgrain? Do you know if the bumper guards were factory option or dealer installed?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by 1972SUPERSB; 09-29-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #33
Coley

Smile Re: New Member- Just picked up a 1972 Cheyenne Super

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SUPERSB View Post
Thanks everyone for the compliments. When I see it in the garage I can't believe I have this truck. It has original 350 but someone changed the valve covers. Block and intake are orange I think that was the stock color not sure. Does anyone know about the bed rails? I was told the were a dealer installed item but wanna ask everybody here. Again thanks for the compliments. I am very excited about this site and all the info that is on here. Also had a question about this valve on the heater hose. It this factory or did someone add it and what is it for?
Posted via Mobile Device
No, that valve is not factory. What you should have in its place is the vacuum operated a/c water shut-off valve....easy to find and buy from any supplier.
Then you have to find and locate the small little vacuum line that runs to it and operates it.
The way it works is that when you turn on the a/c with the interior controls levers pushed into the a/c position you re-direct a vacuum signal to that (missing) valve. It then shuts off the hot water supply into the cab-heater core in order to allow more efficient cooling from the in-cab a/c air....so your a/c will provide a cooler air charge at the vents.
Do you have any more underhood photos?
Very nice truck by the way....love the colours. I have nearly the same truck but a 'California' version and a long bed...same colours and options tho' but unfortunately no buckets. Beauty truck dude~!!!! nice score.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #34
1972SUPERSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
No, that valve is not factory. What you should have in its place is the vacuum operated a/c water shut-off valve....easy to find and buy from any supplier.
Then you have to find and locate the small little vacuum line that runs to it and operates it.
The way it works is that when you turn on the a/c with the interior controls levers pushed into the a/c position you re-direct a vacuum signal to that (missing) valve. It then shuts off the hot water supply into the cab-heater core in order to allow more efficient cooling from the in-cab a/c air....so your a/c will provide a cooler air charge at the vents.
Do you have any more underhood photos?
Very nice truck by the way....love the colours. I have nearly the same truck but a 'California' version and a long bed...same colours and options tho' but unfortunately no buckets. Beauty truck dude~!!!! nice score.

Here are couple of underhood pics. Someone replaced valve covers and air cleaner. Debating if I should put stock air cleaner back on. Other than that pretty stock under the hood.
Coley
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #35
Coley

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SUPERSB View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
In my opinion, definitely lose the chrome and put the stock valve covers and air cleaner back on.
The truck's whole character leans towards a near mint stock example, so seeing that under the hood as well would be in keeping with the rest of the truck.
I would spend the time tho' and remove all the accessories on the engine, do a very thorough cleaning job, a quality masking job and redetail the engine with chevy orange, etc. Then while all the brackets are off (ps, a/c, etc) detail them in black. Easy fun weekend job...and complete 'value adder' to the truck as well as a great 'hoods up' look for the show and shines.
My two bits and again....very nice truck.
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 09-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #36
LEEVON

NICE find, I kind of dig it but I might be partial

I personally like stock engine bays in mostly stock trucks. Here's mine, it's not perfect but I recently converted it from billet-ish and dirty back to stock, minus the a/c which is not finished.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #37
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

The woodgrain door panels are OEM and included in the super package. I wouldn't paint those or if you do sell me yours and I'll send another paint appropriate set

Any chance we can see a photo of the glovebox SPID?

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #38
1972SUPERSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post

I personally like stock engine bays in mostly stock trucks. Here's mine, it's not perfect but I recently converted it from billet-ish and dirty back to stock, minus the a/c which is not finished.
Thanks for the pics. Yes I would like to get it back to stock like yours. Wonder where I could get some valve covers that we're stock? I've seen some air cleaner on eBay. Don't like the chrome alternator probably be changing that out very soon! Haha. I'm gonna use ur pic as a reference for the engine bay! Nice looking engine bay by the way
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 09-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #39
Coley

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post

Looks great!!! Keep in mind tho' that if you are redoing the a/c and remounting the compressor in the the stock location you are going to need to move the oil fill location tho' over to the drivers side with the 'tall' tube filler....
Nice engine bay either way!!!
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 09-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #40
LEEVON

Valve covers and air cleaner can be found in the classifieds here. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=8