The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
jim-bob

trans oil cooler

..don't know if this is correct section, but wondering if there is such a thing as a trans oil cooing radiator KIT that can be installed on a 1500 4x4 to help the tranny when towing..I'll be pulling a dual axle trailer with elec brakes with a 3000lb tractor with bucket and bush hog but not very often or long trips..I've looked at alot of used 2500 4x4's but don't want the height they all have or long whl base and probably never will "haul" any heavy loads in the bed.. Can anyone advise me..Thanks
jim-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
jim-bob

Re: trans oil cooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-bob View Post
..don't know if this is correct section, but wondering if there is such a thing as a trans oil cooing radiator KIT that can be installed on a 1500 4x4 to help the tranny when towing..I'll be pulling a dual axle trailer with elec brakes with a 3000lb tractor with bucket and bush hog but not very often or long trips..I've looked at alot of used 2500 4x4's but don't want the height they all have or long whl base and probably never will "haul" any heavy loads in the bed.. Can anyone advise me..Thanks
..Well..this must be one of those "stupid question" that can't be answered..
Old 12-30-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
'63GENIII

Most auto parts stores will sell a cooler "kit" for what I'm guessing is an automatic that you have. I like to run mine in line with the stock cooler that runs through the radiator so that the engine can bring the trans up to operating temp and then the cooler will give the additional cooling needed. I think there are a couple of different designs when it comes to coolers now. I think there is a tube type and a "plate" type. Not sure which is better. Ive run them both. Maybe someone will chime in here on that. We pull a boat that weighs about the same as you're tractor and trailer with our 1/2 ton Yukon and it does just fine. The trips average about 4 hours each way and we've been doing it for years. The big difference for me when I tow with the 3/4 t vs. the Yukon is the brakes. My old '63 stops way better loaded than the 1/2 ton.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
jim-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
Most auto parts stores will sell a cooler "kit" for what I'm guessing is an automatic that you have. I like to run mine in line with the stock cooler that runs through the radiator so that the engine can bring the trans up to operating temp and then the cooler will give the additional cooling needed. I think there are a couple of different designs when it comes to coolers now. I think there is a tube type and a "plate" type. Not sure which is better. Ive run them both. Maybe someone will chime in here on that. We pull a boat that weighs about the same as you're tractor and trailer with our 1/2 ton Yukon and it does just fine. The trips average about 4 hours each way and we've been doing it for years. The big difference for me when I tow with the 3/4 t vs. the Yukon is the brakes. My old '63 stops way better loaded than the 1/2 ton.
''thanks for replying 63GEN.. what I have now is '88 C1500 auto.w/350 engine 2WD..I had an elect brake switch installed and it works the trailer brakes very well but I'm concerned about the old tranny.. I only use my truck when I have to and really rely on my SIL's F250..I'm tired of waiting on him when I need to go so I want something of my own..As I said I really don't want to go to the 3/4 tons if i can "fix" up a 1/2 ton..I also want a 4x4.
Thanks again!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
jim-bob

..oh yeah 63gen..that in-line cooler you put on the yukon..was that for a 3/4 ton originally..Is that what I shop for?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
'63GENIII

The one on the Yukon is a factory "tow package" one but doesn't seem too much different than one you would find at say Napa or one of the other parts houses. Most of the ones that I see now are in the trailer / towing section. If you go to a decent parts place, they can probably point you in the right direction.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:20 AM   #7
dougo

I installed the biggest transmission cooler I could find for my burb. In fact I went with one that is for RVs, the radiator (which is installed near engine's radiator) is larger than a standard radiator cooler.

If you go this route, make sure the coolent lines are not too close to the engine block, headers, or exhaust manifolds - otherwise you will not benefit as much (lines will heat up).

I have a 2500, 4x4, 454, turbo 400 - and this set up solved my transmission overheating problem. I tow 3-4000 pounds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 06:55 AM   #8
jim-bob

..I really appreciate all this info..thanks fellows..
Old 12-31-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I've read that an aux. trans cooler should be plumbed so the fluid goes through the cooler first, then through the OEM radiator cooler and then to the transmission. This is because trans fluid should operate within a particular temperature range, and it's possible for it to become over-cooled. If that occurs, sending it through the radiator (after the aux cooler) lets engine coolant warm it back up to the correct temperature.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
76k10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I've read that an aux. trans cooler should be plumbed so the fluid goes through the cooler first, then through the OEM radiator cooler and then to the transmission. This is because trans fluid should operate within a particular temperature range, and it's possible for it to become over-cooled. If that occurs, sending it through the radiator (after the aux cooler) lets engine coolant warm it back up to the correct temperature.
There are better things to worry about in life than overcooling your transmission fluid. I have a 71 Buick that I installed the biggest trans cooler I could find with a fan and it is plumbed by itself with the fan running all the time. Even in the winter, the fluid going through it is still plenty hot.
76k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76k10 View Post
There are better things to worry about in life than overcooling your transmission fluid. I have a 71 Buick that I installed the biggest trans cooler I could find with a fan and it is plumbed by itself with the fan running all the time. Even in the winter, the fluid going through it is still plenty hot.
Just passing along some info I picked up over the years, fwiw.... It doesn't matter to me how anyone takes it.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
jim-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
..thanks stocker..i need and certainly appreciate all the info I can get..
I'm hoping that when I go to get something that they know as much as you guys..